Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
laurie said:
Nine days ago, Margaret Thatcher died in a suite at the Ritz and the country lost its wits. Her political legacy lives on and it's that legacy that is really being debated in the escalating frenzy around who gets control of the funeral narrative. This isn't about Thatcher. It never really was: not the parties, not the screeching pundits, not the ludicrous battle to get the song 'Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead. Actually, it's about us. It's about Britain and about the battle for control of the national narrative. Thatcher's death has become the occasion for a grand psychodrama of a vicious and divided nation.

So pick a fucking side.

Bloody hell, I leave this thread for a few days and it takes me a whole evening to catch up :oops: :D

Can't believe I missed LP turning up on the thread again. It seems I am more likely to meet her in real life than on here. I must work on that wind-up spiel of mine.

Slightly OT, but one of the most amusing thing of the past few days was LP's mates - Stavvers, Johnny Marbles et al - all proclaiming their pleasant surprise at not being "lifted by the pigs" in advance of Thatcher's funeral, e.g.

Another Angry Woman@stavvers
Hey everyone, i didn't get dawn-raided!

Expand

As if writing a few articles for the Independent put you in the MI5 category of 'dangerous seditionist' :rolleyes:

So pick a fucking side.
4000 words and she still manages to sit on the fence. Lots of implicit criticism of people being too young to remember Thatcher - despite the fact she was born in 1988 and wouldn't remember her either. Wierd.

The thing that annoyed me most about that article was her assertion that someone was giving out "quarter pints of milk" - what the fuck is a quarter pint of milk? :mad:

Slightly OT, but one of the most amusing thing of the past few days was LP's mates - Stavvers, Johnny Marbles et al - all proclaiming their pleasant surprise at not being "lifted by the pigs" in advance of Thatcher's funeral, e.g.

Another Angry Woman@stavvers
Hey everyone, i didn't get dawn-raided!

Expand

As if writing a few articles for the Independent put you in the MI5 category of 'dangerous seditionist' :rolleyes:
That Pat Finucane never had to deal with this level of oppression.

4000 words and she still manages to sit on the fence. Lots of implicit criticism of people being too young to remember Thatcher - despite the fact she was born in 1988 and wouldn't remember her either. Wierd.

The thing that annoyed me most about that article was her assertion that someone was giving out "quarter pints of milk" - what the fuck is a quarter pint of milk? :mad:
A 142ml bottle of milk. Which doesn't exist. Maybe she has a cow/pony she milks?

She must have meant half pint surely...

Yep, 4000 words to say that the protests are really against thatcherism and then to fail to support them. Tells us and the people in the pic below all they need to know about Laurie Penny

o-518986516-570.jpg

School milk came in third of a pint bottles.

There were some normal pint cartons around but she's making a reference to the little glass bottles that used to be free for school kids. But they were a 1/3 not a 1/4 of a pint.

edit: weeps beat me to it

School milk was fucking revolting, it used to be left out in the playground in the sun until the milk monitor gave the fucking rancid stuff out and you were made to drink it. Ungrateful wretch.

edit: and (my personal aversion to the stuff aside) no-one ever mentions that Wilson snatched it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom