Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
o-518986516-570.jpg
Cheers for that - until today I'd only seen the photo of everyone waiting for the effigy/coffin to be burnt. Now I have closure. :)

Is it Ashington?

Kids under five still get a free third of a pint carton for every day they're at nursery for two hours or more. But yeah it was never a quarter pint and no-one was handing out quarter pints when Thatcher died. People were handing out plastic cups of milk in Glasgow, dunno about London.

There seems to be an inherent contradiction between wanting the working class to rule society or at least rebel against the current order, and understanding the working class as this weak intellectually challenged group...

Who's done that? Very few people posting on this thread, many of whom are working class themselves (perhaps only the middle classes post on bulletin boards in Norway?).

...lacking "social capital" (which is such a rubbish term, btw)...

Your like or dislike of the term is irrelevant. What matters is the ideas the term conveys. Does the UK's proletariat as a whole have less of a handle on securing a "fair share" due to lacking the communicative and social networks of influence enjoyed by the bourgeoisie? Yes. In fact the entire turn to provision of "equality of opportunity" in British politics served to mask the fact that access to opportunity is never equal.

...and therefore needing to be represented by the educated middle classes. And I do understand that I probably should "check my Scandinavia privilege", but the contradiction between understanding the working class as a "client base" that needs representation and lacks "social capital" or whatnot, and seeing the working class as the political vanguard of society, stands regardless.

There are two issues:
1) That the working class lack the degree of social capital that the middle classes are able to accrue, and
2) That members of those middle classes see the working class as a vehicle for their own vanguardism, rather than as a vanguard in and of themselves.

The bourgeoisie don't want the working class to develop and follow their own politics. They want to manufacture a politics, usually some form of reformist endeavour, for us to follow. That's why there are media people pushing the "vote Labour with no illusions" line, while ignoring the fact that Labour are no longer representative of the working class if they ever were, and that Labour are as committed to neoliberalism as any other mainstream political party.

This. What has she got to do with this? How is there any connection between the two? If she in someway can be said to be offering bad faith, how is this relevant? Is she some spring-rite-offering that lets everyone else of the hook?

This thread is (as you'd know if you'd bothered to read it before generously offering your opinions) not about LP, but about what she signifies - the journalistic and political milieu she represents, so it's very much not a case of sacrificing her and letting her ilk off the hook.

We really need to create a Tumblr or Wordpress which collects all the criticism of her into one place so it's easier for people to read through than a 500+ page thread. Especially if she's still lurking.

The thread isn't merely "criticism of her", though. It's criticism of the milieu; of other journalists who do the same thing. The thread itself is only titled as it is because someone reported a particularly wince-making and funny example of the ouvre of that milieu that happened to be by her rather than Hundal, Hari or some other self-mythologiser.

ViolentPanda said:
members of those middle classes see the working class as a vehicle for their own vanguardism, rather than as a vanguard in and of themselves.

And this is true whether or not they're aware of it consciously, right? A Diet version of born-to-rule, we know best. Cos I'm still not sure how conscious, say, to pluck a name out of the air at random, Laurie Penny is that the mere fact of her privileged upbringing has channeled her a certain way. She might "admit" that privilege - hard not to - but I'm not sure she's addressed how it's shaped her. It's still given "yay, me" caveats such as how smart she is and how she's got every job she's ever had through interview.

ViolentPanda said:
The bourgeoisie don't want the working class to develop and follow their own politics. They want to manufacture a politics, usually some form of reformist endeavour, for us to follow. That's why there are media people pushing the "vote Labour with no illusions" line, while ignoring the fact that Labour are no longer representative of the working class if they ever were, and that Labour are as committed to neoliberalism as any other mainstream political party.

Or worse, the LibDems. Nah, you can't let the working class have their own identity and politics - and writers. Fuck no. The bubble people would have no-one to lend their expertise to.

WThe bourgeoisie don't want the working class to develop and follow their own politics. They want to manufacture a politics, usually some form of reformist endeavour, for us to follow. That's why there are media people pushing the "vote Labour with no illusions" line, while ignoring the fact that Labour are no longer representative of the working class if they ever were, and that Labour are as committed to neoliberalism as any other mainstream political party.
"We can't have the working class develop their own politics and write about it from their perspective -the working class ought to be working ffs" :mad:

And this is true whether or not they're aware of it consciously, right? A Diet version of born-to-rule, we know best.

Yes. A latter-day version of noblesse oblige for the middle classes, pretty much.

Cos I'm still not sure how conscious, say, to pluck a name out of the air at random, Laurie Penny is that the mere fact of her privileged upbringing has channeled her a certain way.

Well, one of the issues I have with this, is that it's so deeply infiltrated into the ideas and practices of "being middle class", is that it's arguably difficult, if not impossible, for middle class "actors" to recognise their privilege (let alone check it ;) ), because they're so acculturated to it, that it's not on their psychological horizon.

She might "admit" that privilege - hard not to - but I'm not sure she's addressed how it's shaped her. It's still given "yay, me" caveats such as how smart she is and how she's got every job she's ever had through interview.

While, of course, not acknowledging that "doing" interviews often serves as a venue not so much to represent yourself as the person on your CV, but to establish those interconnections that social capital means invariably exist between the parties to the interview. :)
In which case, "smartness" is a concern secondary to employing "someone who thinks as I do".

Or worse, the LibDems. Nah, you can't let the working class have their own identity and politics - and writers. Fuck no. The bubble people would have no-one to lend their expertise to.

Good lord! We can't have that!!! :eek:

:D

And this is true whether or not they're aware of it consciously, right? A Diet version of born-to-rule, we know best. Cos I'm still not sure how conscious, say, to pluck a name out of the air at random, Laurie Penny is that the mere fact of her privileged upbringing has channeled her a certain way. She might "admit" that privilege - hard not to - but I'm not sure she's addressed how it's shaped her. It's still given "yay, me" caveats such as how smart she is and how she's got every job she's ever had through interview.

A small sliver of his were those interminable discussions in the SWP in 80s about why there was no such thing as proletarian culture

Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-22216613

As disgusting as Old Holborn is, I always find stories about the police investigating and arresting people for things they have said over twitter very worrying. It's not long since a lad in West Bradford got prosecuted for being anti-military. Also, remember the lad arrested for posting a picture of a burning poppy on twitter? These prosecutions seem to be getting more frequent and I don't know how far away we are from living in a country where anti-government sentiment is criminalised.

Kids under five still get a free third of a pint carton.

A 142ml bottle of milk. Which doesn't exist. Maybe she has a cow/pony she milks?
My heart sings that you didn't sat 200mls :cool: They do little 200ml bottles and cartons, I have only seen them in healthcare catering but they'll be available to schools and canteens.

They do 150mls to, sure of it. They're sold to pour onto breakfasts.

SB76nQ4.jpg

I hate to say anything remotely good about Thatcher- but I asbolutely loathed school milk - as they used to leave a crate of little bottles out in the sunshine, and we wouldn't get it until like 11am or something, by which time (in the summer) it was rank.

Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-22216613

As disgusting as Old Holborn is, I always find stories about the police investigating and arresting people for things they have said over twitter very worrying. It's not long since a lad in West Bradford got prosecuted for being anti-military. Also, remember the lad arrested for posting a picture of a burning poppy on twitter? These prosecutions seem to be getting more frequent and I don't know how far away we are from living in a country where anti-government sentiment is criminalised.

I agree completely. Instead of reporting him the OB they should have just found him and given him some 'stern words'.

I hate to say anything remotely good about Thatcher- but I asbolutely loathed school milk - as they used to leave a crate of little bottles out in the sunshine, and we wouldn't get it until like 11am or something, by which time (in the summer) it was rank.
That's got nothing to do with Thatcher. Or, if it has, it's got equally as much to do with Wilson of course.

No was just saying I was happy not to have to drink school milk. Of all the things she's rightly hated for doing, this isn't the one I'd prioritise!

No was just saying I was happy not to have to drink school milk. Of all the things she's rightly hated for doing, this isn't the one I'd prioritise!

I got milk in primary school until about age 9. this was early-to-mid 1990's. I agree it's not the worst thing she ever did by any stretch, but you can't deny the symbolism, stealing milk from the mouths of children etc

Well, one of the issues I have with this, is that it's so deeply infiltrated into the ideas and practices of "being middle class", is that it's arguably difficult, if not impossible, for middle class "actors" to recognise their privilege (let alone check it ;) ), because they're so acculturated to it, that it's not on their psychological horizon.

I think its almost impossible for anyone to really see their own privilege, to the point that you even forget what is was like to not have privilege when you acquire some - just like on giroday you immediately forget how shit its been being skint the last few days and then act in a way which means the same thing will happen

I think its a brain thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom