Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just watched Scott and Bailey so I know how to deal with this. You need to organise a house to house, collect the CCTV and wait for the results of the post mortem, whilst having an extra-marital affair.

I had to google that and I have had my privileges checked for I assumed Scott & Bailey to be two blerks.

Anyway, my humble means makes me more of an Oliver Mellors type who sweeps women above his class off their feet.

tumblr_mhinzlNIKy1r2jx66o1_500.jpg

Reactions: ymu
you can tell bakunin cos he calls her penny dreadful loike he does here.

You've just ruined my material. There I was, preparing a series of posts designed to tease and amuse the posters with my hidden, secret identity and then you go and out me.

I am slightly dispeased. I shall retire from this realm in a state of high dusgeon, high dudgeon I say, until another opportunity arises to showcase my satirical sharpness and comedic genius..

*Swirls cape and vanishes into a conveniently-appearing cloud of thick fog*

'I SHALL RETURN! MOO-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAAAA...'

I had to google that and I have had my privileges checked for I assumed Scott & Bailey to be two blerks.
That's not a check on your privileges, that is a reminder of one that you have. I get the same reminder in reverse. ;)

Aye, Zoe Williams' piece was a wonderful bit of fence sitting. Defended Lewis, Moore & Moran before sort of accepting their critics had a point.

http://www.newstatesman.com/media/2...ollecting-coins-hat-and-dodging-angry-racists

:D STAHP.

I count myself extremely lucky to have grown up as a political writer in the age of the internet. Suddenly, where once there were only a few privileged pundits talking to each other and expecting the proles to listen, there are writers from all walks of life producing dazzling, meaningful prose and finding their audience. I’m part of a growing cohort of reporters and columnists who are not surprised when our readers chat to us like old friends, correct our mistakes or call us unprintable things in the comment section – because we started out online and have never experienced anything else.

:D:D

STAHP.

To be a columnist today is no longer to stand on a stage alone, reciting marvellous soliloquies while a paying audience waits to applaud. Apart from anything else, few publications can now afford to fork out the kinds of salaries that make principled writers lose perspective. Being a columnist today is more like being a street performer – collecting coins in a battered suitcase, telling stories about a better world and understanding that the audience might change the story.

It’s hard work, because you’re competing with everyone else on the block, including the drunk, deranged old racist shouting abuse and the naked exhibitionist who doesn’t ask for money, and you have to move fast to avoid the pelted sandwiches and, occasionally, the police. In other words, it’s an exciting time to be a writer.

STAHP!

:D

I think you'll have a more than adequate response to this but isn't Jones agitating for a left-wing alternative to Labour and actually wanting to bring about another road to change? Or did he just write one article saying that once and that's the sum total of it?

It's the latter isn't it?
He's openly arguing that any change has to and can only come through labour and got very wound up by suggestions that it might come from outside (- that it could only come from outside labour, which is the reality, but that it might - even that was too much for him and he went out of his way to make sure that everyone (you never know who might be listening after all, future employers esp) understood that he was not and does not call for either a split from or a challenge to labour.

Jones is getting a wider audience that you would think and admiration, just spoke to a senior person in the Methodist church and she told me they think Owen is great..

As far as I know he's said it would be self-defeating to break from Labour *now*, not that this would always and inevitably be the case.

As far as I know he's said it would be self-defeating to break from Labour *now*, not that this would always and inevitably be the case.
No he didn't - and if he did he was using the same weasel logic as you - ensuring a break never happens whilst saying you would of course welcome a meaningful break.

Also, this thread has got too wanky and oh aren't i naughty everyone talk about me over the last few pages.

It must be nice to be able to entirely elide the idea of social capital and the imbalances between the classes that it causes from your intellectual repertoire.

Yes, it should. Odd how so much legislation has been produced in the last 30 years that serves to stop or slow us organising or even expressing solidarity withe ach other. One would almost think that might have something to do with the current situation where faux-rebellious members of the chattering classes believe that they can stand as a vanguard for us!

Or perhaps you're being culturally-imperialistic, and/or confusing your rather smaller polity with our rather larger one, and believing that your solutions would flawlessly scale up so as to be amenable to being applied here? :)

There seems to be an inherent contradiction between wanting the working class to rule society or at least rebel against the current order, and understanding the working class as this weak intellectually challenged group lacking "social capital" (which is such a rubbish term, btw), and therefore needing to be represented by the educated middle classes. And I do understand that I probably should "check my Scandinavia privilege", but the contradiction between understanding the working class as a "client base" that needs representation and lacks "social capital" or whatnot, and seeing the working class as the political vanguard of society, stands regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom