Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top improvement to my quality of life (sad to relate :D) in 2012 was finding a place in Beijing I could get a regular supply of rolling baccy rather than the horrible straights.
I noticed that they're hard to find on the mainland but seem to see loads of people in Hong Kong smoking rollies (well all the anarcho types I hung around with down there anyway)

She's an anarchist, in the sense that she tends to readily support movements whose only unifying feature is a hash tag. Apparently this makes them 'non- hierarchical', inclusive and demotic; or so she claims. This notion relies on the conceit that we're witnessing a new phenomena of 'web dissent'...which seems to involve a bunch of middle class faux-radicals trying to look committed by competing to post the wittiest and hippest slogans which proclaim their life-long resistance to bourgeois capitalism.

It's easy to be non-hierarchical when you have absolutely no power or influence whatsoever. Mediocrity is a great leveller.

Another thing I don't get about the trendies - why on earth would anyone in their right mind who can afford to buy straights smoke roll ups?

Taste nicer, less harmful (?) and it's also cheaper. They're all at it

DjyO6.jpg

The point is you are quite wrong about voting, Labour, and anarchism.

The point is that you claim to know "considerably more anarchists that voted Labour than yow!". I'm merely making the point that your experience doesn't necessarily translate to a trend. Capisce?

You should probably stick to what you know, like guns and stuff.

Not bad, as condescension goes, but a little bit lazy with the "and stuff" comment. You'd do such much better if you applied yourself. I'm going to have to give you a "B" for this term. Now pull yourself together. We both know you're capable of an "A+".

More importantly, how does one obtain a horcrux? It could be handy to have one...

According to J.K. Rowling, you have to kill someone. It's the only thing that can break the soul.
Then you imbue an object with that broken-off piece of your soul.

So, a decent reason for political assassination besides politics, then! :)

How can I put this? A lot of bread is eaten here. My reasons are more to do with knowing about pesticide residues being higher in wholemeal, and being in a household with somebody who (being already sick) needs to avoid poisons where reasonable. It's not about class or image.

How can I put this? A lot of bread is eaten here. My reasons are more to do with knowing about pesticide residues being higher in wholemeal, and being in a household with somebody who (being already sick) needs to avoid poisons where reasonable. It's not about class or image.

It is for some people.

I will strenuously resist any revisionist attempts to paint my rolly smoking as a pose just because some horrible media types have joined in. I am the salt of the earth they want to be associated with, I'll have you know. :mad:

If you think you're the only sane person around, does that mean you're really mad? If so, it means all the idiots at work are sane.
Quite possibly. As for "the idiots at work", it could be argued that those who are well-adjusted to an unhealthy or harmful environment (such as being exploited) to appear happy there must be maladapted.

This of course, doesn't apply to people who are happy working in a place where they are treated well, like the people they're working with, and who enjoy their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom