Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Boats is the worst way to die i reckon. I think the Sumerians or some other ancient civilisation practised it.
You get tied between two boats and covered in honey, then the insects come and eat you.

Bit weird what he's saying about the "anarchist movement" though. As far as I could see, the ones I'm aware of were hardly queuing up to support LP and some went out of their way to say so. Some of them actually on this thread. Plus, I'm still not convinced that Privilege Theory has been taken up wholesale by anarchist groups and AFEDs stance (for example) is far from clear. I wonder if Dave thinks all anarchists are like LP.

Bit weird what he's saying about the "anarchist movement" though. As far as I could see, the ones I'm aware of were hardly queuing up to support LP and some went out of their way to say so. Some of them actually on this thread. Plus, I'm still not convinced that Privilege Theory has been taken up wholesale by anarchist groups and AFEDs stance (for example) is far from clear. I wonder if Dave thinks all anarchists are like LP.

he's only talking about 'certain sections' of the anarchist movement, not all of them

since leaving the IWCA he's been involved with things like WAG, ALARM, etc.. and has become much more supportive of anarchism in general

so it's self criticism from an involved point of view pretty much, not a general misconception of things as a result of distance from it (like penny does!)

he's only talking about 'certain sections' of the anarchist movement, not all of them

since leaving the IWCA he's been involved with things like WAG, ALARM, etc.. and has become much more supportive of anarchism in general

so it's self criticism from an involved point of view pretty much, not a general misconception of things as a result of distance from it (like penny does!)
Ta, ld. That makes more sense now you explain it. It's not really how it comes across in that article though.

Good old Laura, the Labour-supporting anarchist! :facepalm:

Didn't butchers say she's a bloody LibDem now or summat? :D in any event, she's clearly not read the bit about electoral politics :D

She's all over the place! In the run-up to the election she was Lib-Dem, only to mysteriously swap over to Labour and claim that she'd always supported Labour when it became obvious the Yellow Tories were going to go into coalition with the Blue Tories, not the red Tories. :)

She's all over the place! In the run-up to the election she was Lib-Dem, only to mysteriously swap over to Labour and claim that she'd always supported Labour when it became obvious the Yellow Tories were going to go into coalition with the Blue Tories, not the red Tories. :)
:D

Ah, different sequence but same bloody outcome to all intents and purposes. I must admit I'd never paid her much attention til recently, but has she ever stated that she's an anarchist? I thought she described herself as an activist which is often very different cf Occupy

So the NS was unionised in the past, then?
No idea tbh. But if the NUJ tried the CAC route before when the last row took place, they have to wait 3 years before making another application. I did skim-trawl back through all the CAC decisions back to approx 2008 but an application from the NUJ wasn't immediately apparent, so maybe they've never tried to force the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom