Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no sympathy for her on a political or personal level.

I've read posts here that certainly add to my understanding of where her politics have come from, but I really could not give a fuck about what upsets, freaks out or frightens her. She's an actress playing the part of 'journo activist'.
actress, little girl, blah blah.
why don't you keep your odd personal anger channelled on the politics, rather than the weird stuff?

I was thinking about this earlier, although i was frustruated with his constant whinging about us whinging on here, I called him LLETSA several times purely in the way you would say someone's name while talking/arguing with them, not for the purpose of outing him or getting him banned

I realised after that, that this meant he was brought to the attention of the mods which I wish hadn't happen, as pretty much agree with most of what he says and thought his original ban was completely unfair and unwarranted
thanks for that, I didn't like the thought it was deliberate.

as for agreeing with him, well it's probably not true that we're all LLETSA but I reckon many of us recognise what he says, whether we want to agree or not.

actress, little girl, blah blah.
why don't you keep your odd personal anger channelled on the politics, rather than the weird stuff?

It's my estimation of her approach, nothing weird about it.

There's psychology in it imho and it plays on generating sympathy when she fucks up.

But that fee request as I understood it was as a result of foregone earnings in place X, whereas the debate was to be in place Y.
The whole thing is weird, who leaked this request to Starkey, why it was imperative to have those two speakers at the start.
Debate was on then off then on again, you'd have to tell Starkey something, and if one of her cited reasons was a reluctance to share a platform, they may well of massaged the truth.

Still , moving forward next person/group she calls sexist/racist can just ask her for list of who in her opinion isn't to save time and aggravation.

Meanwhile Ms Penny can claim her views are balanced as she is pilloried by both right and left and a couple of new contacts for the addressbook. Bonus.
Only way she loses is if people stop paying her attention

It's my estimation of her approach, nothing weird about it.
but also makes it easier for her and others to level accusations of misogyny against the thread, regardless of your doubtless more nuanced intentions.

Perhaps criticisms that dont use her gender and youth might be more appropriate, and make the conversation more worthwhile for everyone. And you look less like a cunt.

When I was at uni people called each other Dave and still fucking did that 'wazzzzup' thing. Wankers.

Suspect that if Laurie was a Larry she'd still be called Dave.

in fairness, most people see a criticism of multiculturalism as ray cyst unless they look at the analysis. Which just goes to show you can't read a title of a link and make judge cos else you end up making a cunt out of yourself

Yeah, but if I remember correctly you've had a few Laurie Penny moments about the IWCA.

I think the New Statesman is part of the problem in all this - it increasingly has a warped vision of what leftism should be about (star-columnists writing the most emotionally-heavy pieces) aswell as an anti-NUJ mindset as brought in by former editor of Granta (liberal literary magazine), Jason Cowley.

Here is Helen Lewis, news editor of the New Statesman, accepting an award on behalf of her columnist from Tony Wang, former corporate lawyer, Europe-wide chief of Twitter.

8112917196_0f3b8bfcc6_b.jpg

Previously Wang "worked in the San Francisco headquarters on the revenue, business development, product and international teams. Previously, Tony was managing counsel at Google where he supported its international expansion. Tony started his career in the legal field where he focused on venture capital, M&A, and capital markets."

Tony Wang is striving to make twitter conducive to branding via the tweets themselves - hence driving any 'politics' that was there off it.

BBC News Report said:
Twitter's new European boss has suggested that users who break privacy injunctions by posting on the site could face the UK courts. Tony Wang said people who did "bad things" needed to defend themselves. He warned that the site would hand over user information to the authorities where they were "legally required". Lawyers are challenging Twitter in court to reveal the identities of Twitter users who violated a super-injunction. MP John Hemming named Manchester United footballer Ryan Giggs in Parliament on Monday as the footballer who had used a super-injunction to hide an alleged affair, after Mr Giggs' name had been widely aired on Twitter.

Guardian Report said:
Wang... said he was "extremely excited" about its potential appeal to advertisers in the UK. Twitter has 3,000 advertisers across the globe and about 70 partners in the UK, he said.

From Marketing magazine:

Are you still approaching mobile advertising with the softly softly approach?
... We do this through testing and iterating how users engage with mobile ads and also through continuing to put the premium on engaging content. We have a number of algorithms that mean if an ad appears, it is because users are actually engaging with it.

With the ad products – Promoted Tweets, Trends and Accounts - which ones are you selling more of?
We don’t break that out. We are seeing healthy growth with each of the products. It depends on the brand and what they want to accomplish with their campaign. But having Promoted Tweets in the background, very much like brands have search on in the background, is something we are seeing more often.

but also makes it easier for her and others to level accusations of misogyny against the thread, regardless of your doubtless more nuanced intentions.

Perhaps criticisms that dont use her gender and youth might be more appropriate, and make the conversation more worthwhile for everyone. And you look less like a cunt.

Look, the most interesting part of that Starkey v Penny video for me was not the exchange between Starkey and her, but how she chose to respond when given the stand/stage to herself at the end. She did everything short of turning on the water works (and at one point I thought that was a certainty from the body language she adopted). I can't really take her seriously on any level, so please excuse my scoffing.

Look, the most interesting part of that Starkey v Penny video for me was not the exchange between Starkey and her, but how she chose to respond when given the stand/stage to herself at the end. She did everything short of turning on the water works (and at one point I thought that was a certainty from the body language she adopted). I can't really take her seriously on any level, so please excuse my scoffing.
you can't read body language either.

That's bizarre - that post came up as an alert for me like it was me you were quoting :confused:

It was directed at the Discokermit/Killer B comments . i don't want to add to your woes.

I think it's because I was going to reply to one of your earlier posts but changed my mind and deleted.Must be a memory thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom