Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was meant in a bible reference,said as a response, I realised how offensive it came across as I saw it posted and started to 'damage control'.

Once again my comments were just brain farts, sometimes I do take the time to make coherent replies, other times I make a cunt of myself.

With all this talk of privilege it seems that some people are vying for the paupers table so that their views can have more levity in a discussion.

I blame the Posh Penny Red, who is quickly managing to polish her platform at the detriment of 'what actually matters' it seems to me that it is another right wing ploy to introduce dissent in the left.

Once again I apologise for the disablist remark, in my defence it was a simile in my own mind.
There was an earlier quote I took from the Offbeat Empire piece, which is pretty much what you've said, but I think it bears repeating:
I don't care if your politics are progressive and your focus is on social justice: if you're shouting at people online and refusing to have a dialogue, you're bullying.

If it's a right wing ploy, it's working rather too well...

Thank you for apologising :)

Whilst Tina Tuner's playing on a tinny radio in a greasy canteen.

'We don't need another hero'

:(

I'll stick my oar in on LLESTA too - what he did on that disability thread was seriously out of order. But I like him as a poster - I often agree with him and even when I don't he always makes me think - he's far, far better at making you challenge your assumptions than any of the right wingers who post on here.

And I think sometimes the whole pessimist angle is done in a half joking way - like he's parodying himself.
But you understand that if a banned poster sneaks straight back in, the mods have absolutely no choice but to ban them, regardless of the fact that some posters may like the person?

There is a set procedure for banned posters to be reinstated, and it starts with them opening up a dialogue with the mods. As you know, we've let back an awful lot of posters over the years - even ones who went right over the top in the past - but when they just rock up with a new ID and carry on posting like nothing's happened, well, that's just taking the piss.

I'm sad to see LLETSA driven out by fellow posters. Repeatedly outed until the mods had to act because his opinions didn't fit. :(
Obviously I can only speak for myself, but I didn't perceive it as LLETSA being driven out by fellow posters (although I can see why it could appear that way to you). Yes, it was odd to see him being referred to as LLETSA so categorically but at the time the thread was moving very quickly, plus - and I accept we differ on this point! - posting isn't just words on a screen for some people; these allegations of Ms Penny were both harmful in real life and probably stressful for the people on the receiving end (and their comrades), therefore posting perhaps a little less cautiously. I really doubt that posters were deliberately driving him out after all these years of knowing him.

I'm also not sure that he was banned (again :D ) because his opinions didn't fit. It was more probably because once it was obvious that he'd started posting again with his false moustache and fake nose, right there on one of the fastest evah threads where Editor's naturally curious and following it, he had to be banned again because of the rules and how you go about getting let back on again. All that permission and apology stuff.

While we're on the subject, is it a load of shit?
OK I've finished it now. It's not long, 69 pages including references. No, I wouldn't say it was a load of shit tbf. It's light reading, accessible, popularist type stuff. There's lots to criticise but I don't think it warrants either shrieking or adulation.

as the editor has so clearly said, " if a banned poster sneaks straight back in, the mods have absolutely no choice but to ban them".

but only if they're caught. The mods play cat & mouse but experience suggests that a popular returner, or someone whose ban was widely felt to be unfair, doesn't get pointed at and called out by other posters. Even inadvertently and in the heat of the moment: the instinct not to grass your mates comes into play.

and you're right, some people do take the stuff on the screen Very Seriously Indeed (the subject is obviously far more complex than a few glib words could cover). There are ways online words can cause genuine damage as well as simple offence or hurt to the ego, and a prominent icon shouting 'racist' is definitely one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom