Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone has more information I would like to see it on the shadowy figure of Michael Danson: "Chairman of Progressive Digital Media Group. He founded Datamonitor, an online information company in 1989. In 2000, Datamonitor completed its flotation on the London Stock Exchange and was sold to Informa for £502 million in 2007. Previously Mike was with Strategic Planning Associates where he was a consultant in their technology practice. Mike received an MA degree from Oxford University."

the owner of New Statesman magazine since 2008 when Brown loyalist Geoffrey Robinson sold up.

If anyone has access to this article I'd love to see what it says:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/media/article3376221.ece

http://www.progressivedigitalmedia.com/digital-media.html

This philanthropy by New Statesman owner Mike Danson, is anything but. It's wealthy Oxbridge graduates giving money to the university they want their child to attend - it's inheritance tax evasion:

St Anne's receives donation of £1.5million from The Danson Foundation
The donation from Mike and Helen Danson is the most generous lifetime gift the college has received from a Senior Member. In 2012 the Danson Scholarship will fund around 35-40 students across all years in the college. The timing and size of the donation is particularly significant: with students preparing to bear the cost of £9,000 tuition fees, this donation will underpin Oxford and St Anne’s undertaking that all students with the ability to succeed should have the opportunity to do so, regardless of background. In addition, the Danson Mentoring Scheme will be established to support undergraduates who will most benefit.

I'd love Laurie Penny to do a Paul Foot (in the Mirror vs Robert Maxwell) and write a column on Mike Danson and his crappy foundation. Fighting from the inside.

it's written by / primarily aimed at people with mental health difficulties. not necessarily the same thing as patients :)

i think realising she used to write for them makes me even more disgusted by her recent handling of things.

maybe i'm just misunderstanding what an industry magazine is, but i've always thought they were exclusively for professionals :hmm:

it's written by / primarily aimed at people with mental health difficulties. not necessarily the same thing as patients :)

i think realising she used to write for them makes me even more disgusted by her recent handling of things.

I'm not impressed by her doing that either, especially professionals have since come forward via Twitter and made it clear she ignored their advice not to publish that piece. For someone who not infrequently mentions having suffered mental health problems to ignore professional advice by using a fellow sufferer as a means to get another byline does imply that journalistic ethics aren't a higher priority for her than splashing her name across a page.

She should know better, I think she does know better, but if it's a choice between another byline or acting ethically then it's pretty obvious which matters more to her.

As for the rest of it it;s a joke I am probably from one of the poorest backgounds and one of the mores poorly paid people posting on here.

In the times of minimal wage, you can't claim that accolade anymore, there are millions waving your 'privilege' banner now.

Maybe poke an eye out then you can jump on another bandwagon.

In the times of minimal wage, you can't claim that accolade anymore, there are millions waving your 'privilege' banner now.

Maybe poke an eye out then you can jump on another bandwagon.
Really? I think not. I bet you have indoor plumbing and everything.

Fighting from the inside, lol.

I was serious. Paul Foot managed to stand his ground, partly because the printers would have shut the paper down if people had moved against him. By the early 90s after Wapping that had obviously changed, and although he tried to stay on, he lost.

You were offended so you made a disablist comment in return?

That's no excuse.

It was meant in a bible reference,said as a response, I realised how offensive it came across as I saw it posted and started to 'damage control'.

Once again my comments were just brain farts, sometimes I do take the time to make coherent replies, other times I make a cunt of myself.

With all this talk of privilege it seems that some people are vying for the paupers table so that their views can have more levity in a discussion.

I blame the Posh Penny Red, who is quickly managing to polish her platform at the detriment of 'what actually matters' it seems to me that it is another right wing ploy to introduce dissent in the left.

Once again I apologise for the disablist remark, in my defence it was a simile in my own mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom