Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's not about changing her opinions, it's just an attack on people like her?

I'd say that it was a discussion about the political ideas put forward by people like Dave 'Penny Red' Barnett, especially bloggers and journos from her social background, who claim to be 'left-wing activists', but who use their 'theory of privilege' to control and stifle political debate.

I know what it is. It's a thread that contains nasty, hyena like bullying of a girl who has done fuck all to deserve it.

1. The thread taken as a whole is clearly not "hyena like bullying".
2. Laura is a grown woman, not a child. Don't infantilise her.
3. She - and other similar journalists - has done plenty to deserve the opprobrium.

I know what it is. It's a thread that contains nasty, hyena like bullying of a girl who has done fuck all to deserve it.
Oh fuck off and kiss LPs backside. You'd get on fantastic with her, making shitty untrue allegations about people without even bothering to find out the facts first combined with a total unwillingness to develop an argument.

The couple of time when a poster or two on this thread has got close to 'bullying' the majority of the posters have dealt with it and called that behaviour out.

I'd really like to know what @sleaterkinney and @ItWillNeverWork think about the accusations of racism this 'girl' (that's a little bit misogyny you know) who's done nothing to deserve this 'bullying' made. I'd like to know what they think about the fact that this afternoon a fourth person questioned me about my 'racism' and that it appears that I'll have to wait until she calls me on Saturday for any kind of retraction. So I can expect to have to have this conversation with more people before then. Because that shit sticks - even afterwards, when I've explained it, there's always a doubt. There must have been something behind it. No smoke without fire.

Especially as I wasn't responsible for any of the stuff you've taken issue with - none of it. So are you really sure about the innocence of this young maiden?

Don't you think acting the white night might actually be a bit insulting to her? She's a 26 year old woman who edits a major magazine, not some snotty nosed little kid who needs you to look after her.

FWIW, from where I'm looking this thread, after one of the personality's mentioned in the thread title appeared, degenerated into nasty little hate-fest for a time, fueled by some, ironically privileged themselves, middle-class no-marks, trying, but failing miserably to appear prolier than thou. There were others too, who tbf, came across as boorish oafs.

FWIW, from where I'm looking this thread, after one of the personality's mentioned in the thread title appeared, degenerated into nasty little hate-fest for a time, fueled by some, ironically privileged themselves, middle-class no-marks, trying, but failing miserably to appear prolier than thou. There were others too, who tbf, came across as boorish oafs.

Do clarify..name names etc.

Things I don't like about this thread:

Very occasionally there has been some out and out abuse towards her.
I don't like the Dave thing, and it's actually against the site FAQs.
She ignores questions, which is frustrating, but it is her right.
Errr, it moves too fast for me / I can't believe how much time I've spent on it.

That's it, I think.

only cause it was the prevailing internet fashion when we registered 10 years ago.

my name's joe maclaren. who're you? :)

Good to meet you Joe. I'm [name removed because I don't want any more people making the connection between me and 'racist' spineynorman]. Now we've got our names out are we both OK to talk about other people on the internet do you reckon? Or should we ask our two moral guardians first?

qaKE3.png

I'd really like to know what @sleaterkinney and @ItWillNeverWork think about the accusations of racism this 'girl' (that's a little bit misogyny you know) who's done nothing to deserve this 'bullying' made. I'd like to know what they think about the fact that this afternoon a fourth person questioned me about my 'racism' and that it appears that I'll have to wait until she calls me on Saturday for any kind of retraction. So I can expect to have to have this conversation with more people before then. Because that shit sticks - even afterwards, when I've explained it, there's always a doubt. There must have been something behind it. No smoke without fire.

Especially as I wasn't responsible for any of the stuff you've taken issue with - none of it. So are you really sure about the innocence of this young maiden?

Don't you think acting the white night might actually be a bit insulting to her? She's a 26 year old woman who edits a major magazine, not some snotty nosed little kid who needs you to look after her.
I don't know the ends and outs of the alleged racism, but she came onto this board via a shitty cartoon and got treated badly once here and it's that I'm bothered about.

I don't like the Dave thing, and it's actually against the site FAQs.

Oh FFS... The point I was making with the 'Dave thing' is that the name 'Laurie Penny' is itself an invention, it's not her real name. It's been constructed for purely pretentious political reasons I would hazard to guess. From her politics right down to her 'wadical' choice of name, she is a fake.

But point me in the direction of the rule I am breaking and I might stop calling Dave 'Dave'. :p

nearly there. i think your mother's maiden name and the street you grew up on should sort it out. ;)

Actually, thinking about it, I'd rather edit that out if it's OK with you - the last thing I need right now is people who don't know who my internet name refers to joining the dots on spineygate. Were it not for that I'd be more than happy to put my mother's maiden name, the hospital I was born at, my school reports and some childhood holiday snaps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom