Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album of the Year 2003

The problem I had with this Radioactive Man album is that the first track I heard from it was Fed Ex to Munchen, which I adore, but it sounds like it comes from a completely different album. The 12" also has a wonderful Andy Weatherall remix. I wanted more (I still want more) in that vein, but the album isn't that. I've never quite forgiven Radioactive Man for what is quite clearly a me problem.

I also rinsed that fabric mix he did way back then

I also rinsed that fabric mix he did way back then
Fabric mixes were in a roll in 2003. There's the Radioactive Man one, Jaques Lu Cont (mixing up 80s stuff and electrohouse), Michael Mayer (doing his Kompakt microhouse thing) and Bent (with a load of electro-disco).

Which reminds me Bent released The Everlasting Blink in '03. I'd call it a chill out album, but they rejected the term saying it's not chill out music, it's just music; that not everything has to be 120bpm+ and why should all downtempo music get lumped together? It samples all kinds of stuff they found in charity shops and boot fairs (including country singer Billie Jo Spears and David Essex). I like it. I think their secret weapon was one half of the duo being Neil Tolliday (aka Nail from the DiY house collective).

A Promise is another of the early Xiu Xiu albums I've never got around to checking out but probably should. Probably one of 2003's most uncomfortable album covers, anyway:

Got around to listening to A Promise today, pretty intense. Then got around to listening to that Peaches album afterwards, positively relaxing in comparison.

If there's a tune that reminds me of 2003 it's Freaks ‎- The Creeps (You're Giving Me). There is an album "The Man Who Lived Underground" but it's not great IMO.

but it's the Steve Bug remix that I remember being played everywhere.

Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone by the Unicorns has to be a contender for album of the year Two Thousand and Twee:

Bit less twee, the Weathermen mixtape was 2003 as well:

Turns out there was an Aesop Rock record that year too, but I don't know that one.

Alt country band The Be Good Tanya’s released Chinatown in 2003, I still listen to it 20 years on, and it was introduced to me by this very board so I’ll put it up here for consideration :)

Displacement by the Phantom Limbs is a great weird unsettling punk album:

The opening track has a fantastic bit of caustic commentary on neuro-linguistic programming type thinking:

I'll tell them that I'm doing something
not that something's doing me

I'll tell them that I'm making something
happen not that something's happening

I won't say that "I got the flu"
I'll say "I've flued myself today!"

I won't say "someone pushed my face in shit"
I'll say "I've shit my face today!"

Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland . I've always loved Robert Wyatt. Cuckooland is better imo than than his previous album Shleep. It's an intelligent set of mainly jazz influenced songs superbly arranged and played , although La Ahada Yaman is hauntingly middle eastern and the two Fox numbers are disposable synth bits. Normal Wyatt subjects on here about the dispossessed or critical of religion and new age gumph but he isn't hectoring or strident just engaging like the music. You won't find many artists like Robert Wyatt tbh , he is in many ways quite unique.

Song below name checks Mossadegh.who was deposed and imprisoned by the CIA back coup in Iran and Mordechai Vanunu who revealed the details of Israel's nuclear weapons programme , was drugged and captured in Italy and then taken to Israel for trial.

ska invita , how does it work if we submit joint winners, i.e. two albums that I can't split for quality? I remember this was the case back in 2003, and they're both so good now too.

ska invita , how does it work if we submit joint winners, i.e. two albums that I can't split for quality? I remember this was the case back in 2003, and they're both so good now too.
No idea, one for knotted and belboid
Just choose one!! Tell us what they are and I'll choose for you ;)

If you can't decide on your number 1, make it The Real New Fall LP, because it'll be very funny when ska has to announce it as the winner.

Is that how it works? I thought the division of labour was that Knotted does the counting but you were presenting the awards.

Is that how it works? I thought the division of labour was that Knotted does the counting but you were presenting the awards.
hah okay im up for that

take the fall's name out of your fucking mouth :mad:

200w.gif

I can't remember if this has been posted yet:

Certainly has 😉 - love this album. I remember some moaning about it being a bit dull. It's true it has no squalling feedback or any rocking out full stop but I don't care about that - it's just so cosy, like being wrapped up in cotton wool....

From her 2003 album - absolutely stunning performance from the band here, second half is pretty jaw dropping playing

Paddy McAloon - I trawl the megahertz.

The story goes that Mcaloon had detached retinas and also suffered from tinnitus. For some time he ended up finding things to listen to on the radio and TV or podcasts and jotted phrases and comments down and assembled them into a script . Whatever the reason the opening 20 odd minute track is a woman's narrative across a dreamy cinematic wash. Except the narrative doesn't quite make sense, it sounds like AI , Then it does make sense if we were in a dream reflecting on the dying embers of a relationship.

"There is, of course, another way of looking at this,”
“‘Your daddy loves you,’ I said. ‘Your daddy loves you very much. He just doesn’t want to live with us anymore.’”

And so it goes, each segment reveals different thoughts about love and loss ,until we get to the one song that McAloon sings on in which he explains prophetically

I'm lost
Yes, I am lost
I'll grow a long and silver beard
I'll grow a long and silver beard
And let it reach my knees

I'm lost
Yes, I am lost
And duty will not track me down
And duty will not track me down
Asleep among the trees

It's a one off unique album of distilled emotion which is initially very challenging but its worth persisting with even if you never play it again because it either misses the spot or it hurts too much.

Last edited:
Because I heard it in a shop the other day. I've got the album somewhere, but I reckon it's well over a decade since it got played.

OK, I've got a 28-long shortlist, which I plan to order over the next few days.

I don't think we've mentioned the first Twilight Singers album yet (Greg Dulli's side project). It's up there with the Afghan Whigs records, for my money.

Back
Top Bottom