Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album of the Year 2003

First album from the band what aren't called that any more. Full of great moments, it's got the most frantic song they ever did, it's got the really long one, it's got some other songs as well:

Finally found an album from 2003 i know!

Side A is rock solid gold and as good as anything Erykah Badu has ever done, but it fizzles out a bit on Side B

Also there's this really interesting album from Meshell Ndegeocello
I really love her sound and energy - theres lots of great tracks on here, but also a couple that annoy me tbh

Two very stoned and soulful albums there

Last edited:
This Monolake album is up to his usual quality standards (very high), but the first track for me is not just the highlight of the album, but the best thing he's ever made. It's the sound of the future, and sounds like the love child of techno/dub/dnb/IDM.

Sounds great played on the wrong speed, too.

Good album to test new speakers out, this </top tips> :thumbs:

Well, this is lovely. Why not treat yourself by pouring a nice warm bath, add some bubble-bath, light a few scented candles and lie back to listen to it's relaxing sounds.

Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow

Last edited:
Broadcast -Ha Ha Sound. Lullabies are interwoven against a background of noise, sounds, vintage electronica, 60's psyche rock. 70s krautrock and arthouse soundtracks. A vision of an alternative comforting present trapped within the confines of a narrow future.

Calexico - Feast of Wire . Beneath what seems to be at first a brilliant set of border, American/Tex music conjuring up sunsets, small dusty towns with siestas, and tequila are a collection of quite disturbing tales about suicide, human trafficking, people trying to cross the border and people just struggling. In between these stories are jazz and bluezy filled instrumentals. Superbly crafted and produced , its almost a cinematic experience, a hauntingly beautiful desert noir.

The best version to listen/relisten to is the 20th Anniversary Edition which has a superb live set of the album

The first Double Dagger album is 2003 - proper hipster hardcore this, two graphic designers in one band:

There's not a Tragedy album to vote for this year, but stadium crust fans don't need to despair, because From Ashes Rise - Nightmares was 2003:

Still not as good as Tragedy, mind.

It's the Ones Who've Cracked That the Light Shines Through is also 2003:

HOW MUCH EARNESTNESS CAN YOU TAKE?

I had to step out of these threads as they started to take up too much of my time. I thought this morning I'd just have a quick peep as I seem to remember 2003 fairly well. Hours later and now about 40 discogs and youtube tabs open :rolleyes:

You lot can have Knifehandchop - Rockstopper for that

I sometimes like to think about the distinction between "rock and roll (derogatory)" and "rock and roll (positive)", and Keep on Your Mean Side by the Kills is definitely rock and roll in the good way:

You can practically hear the black and white stripy tops there.

More Hip Hop that I still listen to from then include:

and Ugly Duckling's - Taste the Secret was a fun fast food sort of concept album

Also pretty good for UK hip hop

This was the year of The White Stripes 'Elephant' - I liked it far more at the time than I do now but there's no denying how much 'Seven Nation Army' has entered our public consciousness. Listen out for it at a sports stadium or rally for an ex Labour leader near you. My daughter's taught the riff in her school music lessons.

Zed Bias was busy as himself and as Maddslinsky

For jazzier things

There still seemed to be a little to be squeezed out of the arse end of the electro breaks scene (but a lot was well past its sell by date). I'm still good with Radioactive Man and Si Begg in 2003

Lots of minimal glitchy stuff

Remarc - Sound Murderer, whilst it's a compilation, none of its on other albums, so I say it qualifies, and its a beast

The problem I had with this Radioactive Man album is that the first track I heard from it was Fed Ex to Munchen, which I adore, but it sounds like it comes from a completely different album. The 12" also has a wonderful Andy Weatherall remix. I wanted more (I still want more) in that vein, but the album isn't that. I've never quite forgiven Radioactive Man for what is quite clearly a me problem.

Back
Top Bottom