Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album of the Year 2003

Okay, I am taking that as all the votes are in and am now just waiting for my wine to get to room temperature, then we will begin.

mm, that's just perfect now.

Knotted provided me with a list of 39 albums, everything else you can blame on me. Including the fact that six of them aren't even making it onto the revealed list.

That is because five of them were lonely Number 2's and thus unworthy of mention (ie, mine wasn't one of them). The other (oh go on, I'll be generous and name it), Broadcast's Ha Ha Sound, got more than one vote, but not enough for the list, so they're out.

This chart is so democratic, I'm going to let you choose which Number 25 is (for the historical record).

The size of the pic chosen for the album cover is not intended to signify any favouritism. That will be done by my usual methods and wit and charm.

edit: OF charm and wit, I mean to imply no surreptitious tricks, they will all be thoroughly superreptitious.

Last edited:
Choice A:

25 - It's all our lonely Number 1's! Eight of us are now thinking 'what a bunch of ignorant fools. Not one of you?'

Motorpsycho + Jaga Jazzist Horns - In The Fishtank 10
YYYs - Fever to Tell
Be Good Tanya’s - Chinatown
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Madlib - Shades of Blue
High Tone - Live
Ramiro Musotto's - Sudaka
Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash

There are some bloody great albums there. And the Be Good Tanya's.

Choice A:

25 - It's all our lonely Number 1's! Eight of us are now thinking 'what a bunch of ignorant fools. Not one of you?'

Motorpsycho + Jaga Jazzist Horns - In The Fishtank 10
YYYs - Fever to Tell
Be Good Tanya’s - Chinatown
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Madlib - Shades of Blue
High Tone - Live
Ramiro Musotto's - Sudaka
Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash

There are some bloody great albums there. And the Be Good Tanya's.
I was the BGT vote :mad: :oops::D

Choice B (aka, the correct choice)

25 King Gheedorah - Take Me To Your Leader
King_Geedorah_-_Take_Me_to_Your_Leader_album_cover.jpg

MF Doom's second album, under a name he uses for some supergroup I've never heard of. A hip-hop album that plays like a cinematic space adventure that you never want to end.

21 Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Radioheadhailtothethief.png

A Radiohead not even in the top 20 in an Urban list? Unthinkable back in the day. Kinda poppy trad alt rock, camped to the previous two.

20 Ricardo Villalobos - Alcachofa

Alcachofa_%28album%29.jpeg

Easy Lee the finest Chilean-German minimalist techno album of the year. I only just played it, it is really bloody good.

19 Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun

Summer_Sun_%28Yo_La_Tengo%29.jpg

A solid ten for YLT, they decided to leave the loud songs off and just charm us with their....charm.

18 The Quantic Soul Orchestra - Stampede

LmpwZWc.jpeg

The Quantic Soul Orchestra is a live project, strictly no samples allowed. Influenced by Will Hollands love of the dusty funk 45s, he wanted to record and produce an album with creative and like minded musicians.

17 Sufjan Stevens - Michigan

Michigan-stevens.jpg

The first of, supposedly, Mr Stevens' plan to record an album for each and every state in the nation. Thankfully he got bored of that idea pretty quickly. Say Yes! to M!ch!gan.

16 Amy Winehouse -Frank

Amy_Winehouse_-_Frank.png

Attitude and talent to the max, an astonishingly assured debut from the teenager. A classic for a reason.

I'd forgotten I hadn't eaten, so had to order dinner. Then got distracted by the etymology of surreptitious and the need for more wine. All good now. Oh, no, I've drunk all the wine again. Hang on a sec...

15 Millsart - Every Dog Has it's Day Volume 4

vol.4.jpg

Jeff Mills (together with his twin brother Pat Mills on art) make an album regarding how, apparently, consuming music in a parallelistic fashion, where a bank of information is simply replenished and expanded upon to be made available when the listener chooses to engage instead of music being guided by various external aspects makes this album series like no other and provocative in its habitation. So that's good then.

14 The Detroit Experiment - The Detroit Experiment

Detroit_experiment_album.jpg

I'm not sure, but I have a pretty strong suspicion that this is a kind of techno, developed in a certain US city, that is quite experimental. Like, it's Carl Craig with a saxophonist, or something.

13 Rachels - Systems/Layers

Rachels_systems.jpg

Final album from the chamber music quartet. Or were they post-rock? Anyway, imagine postrock chamber music and you'll be along the right lines.

The first collaborative dance/performance entry on the lists since 1988's I am Kurious Oranj.

10 LFO - Sheath

Lfo_sheath.jpg

Phew, that's more like it. The final album from IDM (I wonder why that phrase never caught on?) meisters. Pure beats and weird squelchy noises.

11 Richard X - Richard X Presents His X-Factor, Volume 1

RICHARD_X.jpg

What the fuck is this doing in here? Knotted. there will be hell to pay for this.

It's a compilation album. A compifuckinglation album. Disgusting. I will not listen on general principle.

Sorry didn't check.

Back
Top Bottom