Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread for asking help in deciphering stuff on the internet (UK politico division).

Also a big Dr Who, Star Trek fan plus reader of shitloads of sf books, I've not a fucking scooby... beyond the writer possibly sending messages while on hallucinogenic goodies.

The basic thing is people who live under a rock have their keks in a twist over the fact the new doctor is black.

They put the blame on leftist culture wars.

Sci fi fans point out that doctor who is pretty fuck left as in universe the doctor is a freewheeling kinda dude who didn't like the rules heavy Gallifreians so nicked the tardis and when on a trip to see how the rest of the universe live with his granddaughter Susan.

They also hint that lots of sci-fi is pretty leftist promoting utopias and predicting right wing or capitalist dystopia.

Finally the last bit seems to be an argument over if talking about sci-fi is even proper politics.

The basic thing is people who live under a rock have their keks in a twist over the fact the new doctor is black.

They put the blame on leftist culture wars.

Sci fi fans point out that doctor who is pretty fuck left as in universe the doctor is a freewheeling kinda dude who didn't like the rules heavy Gallifreians so nicked the tardis and when on a trip to see how the rest of the universe live with his granddaughter Susan.

They also hint that lots of sci-fi is pretty leftist promoting utopias and predicting right wing or capitalist dystopia.

Finally the last bit seems to be an argument over if talking about sci-fi is even proper politics.
Wow, well done! It just read as gibberish to me.

I’d contest the notion that the Doctor is “pretty fuck left”, though. He’s a classic liberal.

Plus hartnell doctor is straight up willing to kill a dude if he was slowing him down.
The hippie stuff tended to be Troughton onwards.

I'm a bit troubled by this tweet. I'm not a Dr Who fan but I watched it back in the 1960s, and I don't remember 'him and Sue' being 'literally refugees bailing from quite literally space nazi's'. All the Time Lord and Gallifrey stuff came much later.

Is this just the sort of historical revisionism you'd expect from the sort of anarchists who claim their post-war paper is the same as a defunct one started in 1886 ?
Or is it actually more serious than that ? Are these "federationists" literally fashjacketing another race?

I'm a bit troubled by this tweet. I'm not a Dr Who fan but I watched it back in the 1960s, and I don't remember 'him and Sue' being 'literally refugees bailing from quite literally space nazi's'. All the Time Lord and Gallifrey stuff came much later.

Is this just the sort of historical revisionism you'd expect from the sort of anarchists who claim their post-war paper is the same as a defunct one started in 1886 ?
Or is it actually more serious than that ? Are these "federationists" literally fashjacketing another race?

From Wikipedia plot precis of 'an unearthly child' (I was barely a twinkle in my father's eye at the time):

Susan explains that the object is a time and space machine called the TARDIS and the old man is her grandfather, who reveals that he and his granddaughter are exiles from their own planet.

who reveals that he and his granddaughter are exiles from their own planet
Indeed - 'exiles'. It wasn't suggested they were being pursued by anyone, let alone 'literal nazis'. They were certainly not being pursued by Daleks - in the second storyline they meet them for the first time.

These kinds of issues might appear trivial but they can cast a very revealing light. It was the Daleks who were the real stars of the show in the '60s and while I'm not big on memorabilia I do still have a small plastic Woolworth's one. In the early '80s I caught a 'comrade' pulling it's head off. It came as little surprise when this wrong 'un later joined London Wildcat.

Now, I don’t want to stir up factionalist infighting. And I seldom understand AFed’s tweets anyway, but as both a Doctor Who fan and an anarchist (influenced by Platformism), I felt I should have some inkling of what this is about. But I have absolutely none. Not a jot. Anyone?

It’s an “I am very intelligent” post that is liable to age badly.

Indeed - 'exiles'. It wasn't suggested they were being pursued by anyone, let alone 'literal nazis'. They were certainly not being pursued by Daleks - in the second storyline they meet them for the first time.

These kinds of issues might appear trivial but they can cast a very revealing light. It was the Daleks who were the real stars of the show in the '60s and while I'm not big on memorabilia I do still have a small plastic Woolworth's one. In the early '80s I caught a 'comrade' pulling it's head off. It came as little surprise when this wrong 'un later joined London Wildcat.
"Pulling the Dalek's head off" is a profanisaurus term I'd not encountered before.

Hello fellow confused comrades. I am seeing a lot of this in relation to some graffiti in America:

Most anarchists I know don't bother that much with the circled A anyway?

I think that one's relatively self-explanatory? As the thread alludes to, the issue is with weird conspiracist liberal internet people taking "clean" circle-As in graffiti as being evidence of a false flag because they imagine real anarchists only use messy ones, which is a mad idea with no basis in reality. What part is confusing?

Back
Top Bottom