Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

9/11 media happenings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved this bit!

columns came down in sections about 30 feet long, conveniently ready to be loaded on trucks.

Not like that was the length of the sections that would then be bolted into place to assemble the structure. Made to that length BECAUSE they would fit onto an arctic to moved from the manufacturers to the site! Doh! Of course this sugests that the sections either failed at the joints or were cut up in the debris removal process to make the removal easier.

(to editor: re steel heat conductivity)

Before the NIST report ever existed I was making the same point - that steel was a fantastic conductor of heat, and the steel in the central core was a tremendous 'sink' for any heat generated by the (non-existent) infernos.

I consider that point as strong as ever. Of course, if NIST included heat conductivity of steel away from the fires in their model, there is no reason why they shouldn't have publicly accounted for it. Unless you are anyone else is going to show me where they did so I think I'll go with Hoffman in thinking that they simply chose to forget about it and hoped fools like you and TA wouldn't pay any attention.

Jazzz said:
If you were in my position mate you might be wondering why you were wasting your time bothering with someone who seemingly has all day to misrepresent and patronise, and produce huge childish lists of 'points'. .

1. Because the sheer stupidity of the CT lobby annoys me intensely; facts are disregarded, evidence overlooked or misrepresented, and objections hand waved away. It's intellectually dishonest, especially when you're accusing someone (the US government) of murdering 3,000 of its own people.

2. I'm recovering from a bad knee injury and double pneumonia, so frankly it breaks up the boredom.

3. See those lists? That's how we keep you CT bods from trying to evade issues. It's also how we conduct these matters professionally, for example at public local inquiry level or dealing with expert witness precognition.

I am thoroughly weary of you and am failing to see the point of attempting to address your concerns just so you can repeat the same crap

All I've done is hold up your arguments and speculation to the light of scrutiny, and pursued items when you've failed to address them properly. If there is a failing, it is on your part - a reluctance to deal with them in a systematic, logical manner combined with reliance on unreliable or misquoted sources.

As I made clear previously Jazz, if you run from this forum then it will only reflect poorly on you. It also speaks volumes for how little you really wish to understand what really happened on 9/11.

So are you going to stand your ground, or run away in the huff like a petulant toddler?

Jazzz said:
I think I'll go with Hoffman in thinking that they simply chose to forget about it and hoped fools like you and TA wouldn't pay any attention.

Hoffman sounds as loopy as Steven Jones, and even less qualified in the necessary disciplines – why do you believe any old shit you read on the internet?

Jazzz said:
Of course, if NIST included heat conductivity of steel away from the fires in their model, there is no reason why they shouldn't have publicly accounted for it.
So l'il old bumbling amateur you believes that you know far more than the hugely qualified, vastly experienced experts in the related fields of knowledge, none of which support your barking theories, yes?

Why is that, exactly?

Quick straw poll lads: do any of you actually agree with Jazzz that he didn't cock up on (a) the FE quote, (b) collapse speed, (c) existence or otherwise of fires prior to collapse, and/or (d) quoting a paper re: weight of towers that actually debunked his own conspiracy theories?

Jazzz said:
Before the NIST report ever existed I was making the same point - that steel was a fantastic conductor of heat, and the steel in the central core was a tremendous 'sink' for any heat generated by the (non-existent) infernos.

I consider that point as strong as ever. Of course, if NIST included heat conductivity of steel away from the fires in their model, there is no reason why they shouldn't have publicly accounted for it. Unless you are anyone else is going to show me where they did so I think I'll go with Hoffman in thinking that they simply chose to forget about it and hoped fools like you and TA wouldn't pay any attention.
Steel is a decent conductor of heat, but yet again you seem to be letting scale run away with you. It's not a bloody superconductor. Yet again you are failing to research the topic or apply even the token bit of common sense to it.

TheArchitect said:
YOU'RE the one proposing the hypothesis, not us, and it's your job to show that you've got a case.
You've finally realised the basic problem with "debating" with Jazzz. He, quite simply, does not recognise or abide by this rule ... :mad: :mad:

It's why I tend to give up and call him a cunt after about three goes ...

Jazzz said:
If you were in my position mate you might be wondering why you were wasting your time bothering with someone who seemingly has all day to misrepresent and patronise, and produce huge childish lists of 'points'.
Oh, I think TheArchitect probably has some idea what it might feel like ... :D

TheArchitect said:
So are you going to stand your ground, or run away in the huff like a petulant toddler?

I've said that I've had enough of you, sorry. There is little point in attempting discussion with someone that does not debate fairly, and you do not. Of course, it was you that requested this thread be re-opened, so it's funny that I am the one that has to prove what happened on 9/11. And of course you're going to resort to childish taunts like this one to play your game of arguing with a stuck record, well get over it. :rolleyes:

aside ... 'the huff'... you fool :D

Jazzz said:

And in most of the building it was still covered by the flame redardant material acting as an insulator! Steel can also be heated locally to very high temperatures without the rest of the material being heated dramatically, for instance in welding and in blacksmithing. The damaged area was still heated to a high enough temperature for the steelwork to lose it's strength. Conduction will only start to cool the area once the heat source is removed, which it clearly wasn't!

Jazzz said:
I've said that I've had enough of you, sorry. There is little point in attempting discussion with someone that does not debate fairly, and you do not. Of course, it was you that requested this thread be re-opened, so it's funny that I am the one that has to prove what happened on 9/11. And of course you're going to resort to childish taunts like this one to play your game of arguing with a stuck record, well get over it. :rolleyes:

aside ... 'the huff'... you fool :D
I think it's because he HAS proven his side of the arguement, whereas you haven't.

Jazzz said:
I've said that I've had enough of you, sorry. There is little point in attempting discussion with someone that does not debate fairly, and you do not. Of course, it was you that requested this thread be re-opened, so it's funny that I am the one that has to prove what happened on 9/11.
By 'unfairly' do you mean 'arguing with credibly sourced facts, solid science and point-by-point rebuttals that you are unable to counter'?

That's sure what it looks like to me.

Every time he puts a well-argued scientific point to you, you make a fresh excuse to avoid answering it or resort to citing nutjob sites written by bumbling amateurs who are woefully unqualified to offer an opinion on 'what really happened.'

And you've been thoroughly caught out and you know it.

Jazzz said:
I've said that I've had enough of you, sorry. There is little point in attempting discussion with someone that does not debate fairly, and you do not.
You have to be fucking joking. You have to be. How would debating fairly look like? If we just took your assertations on board without questioning them? If you have such a winning case, then I haven't seen it yet. If you walk away now, you will have lost. So I hope you do walk away, and actually look at this with genuinely fresh eyes, see where you were mistaken, and maybe see how your actions are guided by belief, not logic.

Crispy said:
Brilliant. A*
I'll return to your post 745 tomorrow, promise.
Yet you never did, and are now lecturing me because I'm fed up with TA arguing like a stuck record and straw man attacks?

Maybe you're angry because you now realise that the thing you thought I was oh-so mistaken about - the core being able to hold up for itself - is in fact completely true. It reveals plenty that you are now seeking to hide behind TA's tiresome posturing, because you know you are way better than he is.

editor said:
By 'unfairly' do you mean 'arguing with credibly sourced facts, solid science and point-by-point rebuttals that you are unable to counter'?

That's sure what it looks like to me.

Every time he puts a well-argued scientific point to you, you make a fresh excuse to avoid answering it or resort to citing nutjob sites written by bumbling amateurs who are woefully unqualified to offer an opinion on 'what really happened.'

And you've been thoroughly caught out and you know it.
TA could be reciting the bus timetable and you would be saying the same.

:oops: I genuinely forgot about that. I may have been a little drunk while posting. But like I said, even if the core could stand up by itself (which I'll admit is a possibility), it still wouldn't survive the rest of the building collapsing around it. It's not like a stripper dropping her skirts.

Jazzz said:
Right, well let's at least wrap up that question by quoting one of TA's own posts, which he claims proves me wrong.

Nope, you haven't understood it mate. The core is quite capable of taking the whole weight of the building, and then some, presumably with a large factor of redundancy.
Source? Seriously, source this claim - I'd like to see even some very rough figures for the load-carrying capacity of the core, plus redundancy.
The space frame is not claimed to be at all necessary to keep the building up. What it is doing is correcting the problem of the outside of the building compressing more than the central core when the building is loaded - i.e. 'First, gravity-induced vertical deformations between the columns of the services core and the columns of the outside wall were made equal at the top of the building; 'at other levels, the differential deformations were ameliorated' - translates as fixes the levels at the top of the building so the top floor won't tilt at all, it can't quite get a perfect result lower down but will help minimise the problem
I still don't think you get it. The core and the facade are like the two side bars of a ladder, with the rungs being the floors. damage one of the bars, and the other has to take more of the load.
The next bit proves that the core would stay up by itself (as if it is needed):

"Second, wind-induced overturning moments were resisted in part by the columns of the services core, thus providing additional lateral stiffness"

That means that the core was helping the building deal with lateral forces - which implies that it was stabilising the building, not the building stabilising it. eh Crispy?
The building stabilises itself through the interaction of all its parts. It's a system of parts, all relying on each other. Some parts duplicate or overlap their functions, but they cannot be seperated out and analysed independantly like this.
"Finally, the weight of, and the wind-induced overturning moment from the rooftop antenna (440 feet tall) was distributed to all columns in the building . . . adding additional redundancy and toughness to the design."

Pretty easy to understand. Icing on a cake. Note the 'additional redundancy and toughness'. Also note that a very simple steel rod can easily go to a height of 440 feet without buckling! Never mind thousands of tons of latticed H-sections over a wide footprint.
Ah, so "additional" is enough is it? The damage was "great" but it's ok because there was "additional" redundancy. If the redundancy had been "sufficient" then the towers would have collapsed without CD, but as we had "additional" then CD is required. Numbers please - like the many that TA has quoted.

Who cares anyway? Unless the serial fantasist Jazz can explain how 'they' invisibly planted invisible bombs that not a living soul managed to see or trip over, the whole argument is a waste of time.

Jazzz said:
I made a minor error where I suggested that ALL fire was out at the South Tower - other than that I've been shown totally correct in that there was no actual evidence of any 'inferno' - there wasn't

That isn't quite true, is it Jazz?

What you actually claimed initially was that the WTC2 fires were limited in extent, based upon the report of the fire crew that reached the 78th floor. On this basis you questioned the NIST fire modelling. However we showed that the principal impact was actually on the 80th and 81st floors, which is wholly consistent with the evidence of widespread fires.

You then claimed that there was little smoke and flame immediately prior to the collapse. A simple series of photographs then proved this to be wholly incorrect as well.

Your most recent whopper is to draw parallels between the photographs of Windsor and WTC. The most obvious problem with this is that the former were taken at night, and hence the fires are far more visible anyway.

To top it all, you quoted an article in support of your structural arguments - and which one would therefore tend to assume you endorsed - which itself made quite clear that the fire could cause the collapse in a broadly similar way to that suggested by NIST. You debunked yourself!

It is perfectly reasonable to assume that a structure labelled 'incredibly redudant' would have a significant redundancy factor. 600% seems hardly unreasonable. On the contrary, 100% (the figure you seem to want me to accept) is obviously way off.

Again, this doesn't actually come close to reality. Perhaps you should try re-reading the recent posts.

Your working hypothesis seems to be that the load from the facade and floor failures should have redistributed to the core via the hat trusses, and that the core should have been able to take these increased loads; hence it was demolition.

However in doing so you make a number of fundamental errors which demonstrate just how limited your understanding of structural engineering really is. This include, for example, the composite nature of the overall structure or the relative cross-sectional area of steel for core and outer envelopes respectively.

Particularly spectacular is your failure to recognise the damage to the core columns would potentially undermine your own argument, and then reposting one of MY images which show parts of the core standing briefly after the collapse. Doh!

A key aspect of your argument regarding core stability is a supposed 600% redundancy. Except you can't actually give us a source for this or any calculations. Which just goes to show how unrealiable such a figure is.

Let me show you how safety factors really worked at the towers:

The allowable stress design criteria used at WTC had an inherent factor of safety for structural components. For example, the safety factor for yielding and buckling was:

• 1.67 and 1.92 for core columns in the original design and SOP cases, and for all columns in refined NIST estimate case.

• 1.26 and 1.44 for perimeter columns in the original design and SOP case (discounting the 1/3 increase in allowable stress under wind loads).

• After reaching the yield strength, structural steel components continue to have significant reserve capacity, thus allowing for load redistribution to other components that are still in the elastic range.

(I assume that you know the difference between plastic and elastic structural methods, but if not it would just confirm how little you really know about this field).

As designed, the demand/capacity ratios for the columns were about .86 for the core columns and .75 for the exterior columns. As noted above, these elements would have reserve capacity, but I'm not aware of a breakdown of numbers for that. You can find lots of DCR figures, charts and drawings in NIST NCSTAR 1-2A, starting on page 87.

The safety factor for overturning under wind load varied between 1.9-2.7, depending on tower and wind direction. That's also good number to hit him with, since wind load was the main structural concern. That's also in report 1-2A.

These figures are entirely consistent with structural expectations; do feel free to tell me where you think I might have made a mistake - and I'll be expecting facts and figures, not wild hand-waving.

You suggested at the start of the thread that it was only the 'squibs' which were possible evidence of CD. As has been shown there are plenty of other considerations to be looked at. One of those might be the nature of the dust cloud (incidentally its also claimed that the energy required to pulverise to concrete into the fine powder would be more than the gravitational energy of the collapse). I haven't made a big deal about it. If you are going bananas over the semantics (I should have said 'akin to a pyroclastic flow) then well.

Jazz, you were challenged to state your case in detail. YOU used the term pyroclastic flow, which is wholly innacurate, not me. If you can't accurately describe what YOU think happened, then how do you expect the rest of us to understand what you say?

CTers point to the billowing dust clouds present during the collapse of the WTC towers as evidence that explosive were used. Some, like Judy Wood, see the Clouds as vaporising steel due to some space based energy beam weapon. Others sees the dust clouds as proof that the concrete was "totally puverised" with explosive.

What amazes me is that none of you seem to fathom that concrete, plasterboard, and insulation can collide with larger debris during the collapse in order to form the billowing dust clouds.

If you think that the dust clouds show something different, then you tell us EXACTLY what you think this is. Don't expect the sane amongst us to do your own CT homework for you.

Whilst you panic about how to do this, here is another building falling just due to fire and gravity - no aircraft this time

If you were in my position mate you might be wondering why you were wasting your time bothering with someone who seemingly has all day to misrepresent and patronise, and produce huge childish lists of 'points'.

YOU have accused the US Government of killing 3,000 of it's own men, women and children. I understand from other posters that this is a position which you have consistently expounded for some considerable period of time. I challenged you to explain this hypothesis.

Every single piece of evidence you have thus far posted has been thoroughly debunked. Your interpretation of supporting documents and statements has been shown to be poor. Quotes have been cherry picked. Some items - such as the 600% redundancy - appear to have no basis whatsoever. On top of this, you run away from arguments (for example the horizontal ejection of debris).

You are guilt of intellectual dishonesty, Jazz. Your belief in the complicity of the US Government in 9/11 is not based on any meaningful analysis of facts, but rather on a predetermined knee-jerk assumption that the evil NWO pulled the whole thing off.

I confess, I am thoroughly weary of you and am failing to see the point of attempting to address your concerns just so you can repeat the same crap.I might continue with Crispy, although he seems not to have come back as promised. Enough of you TA.

I think we can safely take that as confirmation that you have been defeated, Jazz.

Jazzz said:
Yet you never did, and are now lecturing me because I'm fed up with TA arguing like a stuck record and straw man attacks?

And yet amazingly you haven't managed to actually answer a single technical point put to you? Incredible.

Starter for 10: source for 600%, Jazz?

I'll be blunt; you're intellectually dishonest, a coward, and a fraud.

TheArchitect said:
Your working hypothesis seems to be that the load from the facade and floor failures should have redistributed to the core via the hat trusses, and that the core should have been able to take these increased loads; hence it was demolition.

Absolute crap - that was simply a point where YOU were ignorant and insisting that the core could take no more than 50% of the buildings' load. So I pointed out that hat trusses could take load from the outside shell to the core, which of course you had quoted yourself earlier and forgotten about. Pretty dumb for someone that has waxed on about being such an authority if you ask me. :rolleyes:

But of course rather than accept the correction YOU are trying to claim that I am claiming something else. Yet the only reason I mentioned the hat truss was to point out your obvious error; no other.

This is of course just one example of your debating style which is either wilfully deceitful or incredibly stupid. And of course, I have far better things to do than bother correcting it all the time.

A Timely Piece of Advice to Jazz

Jazz,

Just wanted to remind you of this quote, which I do think you might want to take as advice:

Lord Kelvin:
I often say . . . that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science, whatever the matter may be.

Jazzz said:
Absolute crap - that was simply a point where YOU were ignorant and insisting that the core could take no more than 50% of the buildings' load. So I pointed out that hat trusses could take load from the outside shell to the core, which of course you had quoted yourself earlier and forgotten about. Pretty dumb for someone that has waxed on about being such an authority if you ask me. :rolleyes:

No Jazz, you've never actually produced any evidence to refute the fact that the outer envelope carried a substantial proportion of the load - and I stand by the suggestion that it's going to be carrying half the floor loadings, plus it's own weight, so say 50% or thereabouts overall.

Do feel free to actually produce calculations or even a reasoned argument that refutes this, instead of the usual bluster.

But of course rather than accept the correction YOU are trying to claim that I am claiming something else. Yet the only reason I mentioned the hat truss was to point out your obvious error; no other.

This is why I make sure and quote you, Jazz. I have encountered your "debating" style before, and in a professional context. You make wrong statements, then try to deny ever having done so.

It is YOUR job to state YOUR case properly and without ambiguity, not mine. If you cannot do so, then you should politely withdraw

And of course, I have far better things to do than bother correcting it all the time.

Unfortuantely these do not appear to extend to research or, more pertinently, actually addressing all these troublesome technical points which debunked you. A propos of which, we're still waiting for some substantiation on that 600% claim.....

TheArchitect said:
I'll be blunt; you're intellectually dishonest, a coward, and a fraud.
Oh you patronising small-minded arse. I am none of those things. Your mentality would do McCarthy proud. And your debating style has been utterly sly and vindictive.

Jazzz said:
Your debating style has been utterly sly and vindictive.

Yet strangely you've been wholly unable to refute the technical arguments and calculations put to you? You've lost this debate and you know it. This is just you trying to justify to yourself that you were hard done by, before you flee back to woowoo land.

Still waiting to see your sorce for that 600%, btw.

Jazzz said:
This is of course just one example of your debating style which is either wilfully deceitful or incredibly stupid. And of course, I have far better things to do than bother correcting it all the time.
You really are deluding yourself here.

Why can't you either come up with credibly sourced* scientific rebuttals to the his claims or just admit that you're wrong?

So far you've run away from everyone of his arguments. Why won;t you back up your '600%' claim for example? You made the claim -why can't you properly back it up?

(*this means written by suitably qualified authorities on the subject, not bonkers conspiracy-obsessed websites written by people with ZERO specialist skills in the areas concerned).

TA said:
No Jazz, you've never actually produced any evidence to refute the fact that the outer envelope carried a substantial proportion of the load - and I stand by the suggestion that it's going to be carrying half the floor loadings, plus it's own weight, so say 50% or thereabouts overall.

See - there you go again - I never said that outer envelope didn't carry a large proportion of the weight - I have simply maintained that the inner core was capable of taking all of it. YOU attempted to say that wasn't the case because it didn't have to, which is perverse logic. :rolleyes:

I never claimed that 600% was gospel. Just that it seemed a reasonable benchmark for a structure considered (by Thomas Eagar, no conspiracy theorist) 'incredibly redundant'. You've gone bananas over needing a source for this yet you haven't come up with anything to suggest that it isn't a reasonable figure for the napkin calculation.

Crispy now concedes that the central core could stand on its own 47 columns - of course it would - at least he has some honour and grace. But we won't find you admitting any errors, oh no, you'll just keep attacking and change the goalposts as and when it suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom