Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Would you leave your job if your employers didn't reopen your office soon?

gonna be fascinating how this plays out.
Absolutely - been reading/going to a lot of webinars about this, as I edit a journal for a real estate professional body. From what I see, we are going to get a lot more flex space; no one is expecting to go back into office every day; landlords are actually being quite cooperative at the mo as honestly if it's between 'Lose tenant because they can't pay 100% of their rent, then try to find another one in utterly borked market' or 'Keep hold of your tenant at a low turnover-based rent until things improve', the latter clearly makes more sense; more 'mixed use' developments incorporating a mix of everything and people maybe being more open to independent retail/hospitality tenants to make things more interesting and attractive.

Various polls suggest occupiers looking at dropping between 15-40% of their space when they can, so a big change there.

My office was already little used Monday and Friday - we're in an unusual position of actually owning our London HQ, there's lots of rumbles about whether they may sell and lease it back (or some of it), as it'd be an asset with a lot of cachet for an investor with deep pockets.

Just before Evil American Megacorp made me redundant an edict came down banning regular working from home and stating it was only allowed occasionally with management permission in advance. Word was they had spent a fortune on some fancy London offices and some American bigknob turned up on Monday morning , found the place 90% empty and had a massive snit about it. When this is over I will have to ask my former colleagues many of whom I am still in some contact with how all this went for them.
I'm near retirement anyway so possibly when my current contract ends I will jag it in, Even if I don't I can't see myself taking a contract where I'm expected to come in everyday for longer than absolutely necessary.
My Son-In-Law's boss used to be deadset against people working from home and would only allow it for emergencies, This last year he has apparently completely changed his mind and as soon as lockdown is over is going to be looking for smaller and cheaper premises and anyone who wants to work mostly or partly from home can do so. My SiL is planning to work 3 days a week from home, he's keen on it, it will save him time and money and he gets a lot more time to spend with his kids.

There is a skill involved with working from home whereby you always ensure that it looks like you are doing work whilst actually watching netflix/having a wank/playing call of duty. I've worked from home for getting on 10 years now and I have perfected this ability. All you need to do is remember to send out an email every couple of hours and ALWAYS answer the phone straight away if its someone important.
Be good if employees provide training in this

Now * this * would make me quit a job :mad: .....

The Guardian: Call centre staff to be monitored via webcam for home-working ‘infractions’.

I have this vision of someone propping up a dummy in front of th camera with a photo of themselves taped to its face

I could probably program something along those lines and would

Nope, I'll be happy if they don't open the office, ever. Just pop up to Reading once a month for a meeting with colleagues, in the pub.

Even those colleagues who do want to go back aren't going to quit their jobs if it doesn't happen soon.

This is just Sunak talking bollocks again.

There is going to be a big shift socially and economically though, and the government are scared of that. There's a lot of money in sandwiches for office workers etc, and a lot of high street footfall is office workers, esp during the week. It could lead to a big drop in GDP.

If the government was serious about getting people back to work in city centre offices, they would cut the cost of commuting and make it a slightly less miserable experience. But they've put rail fares up during the lock down.

I've been at my current place 2 weeks. 11 people in the team, as far as I can work out 8 are based here and 3 in the other office about 60 miles away. I've not got a laptop yet so I work from the office every day. Currently one person comes in Tuesday-Thursday, one person comes in on Wednesday (to do the post) and that's it. It looks some in the other office are office based. Some people, including all the supervisors and the manager are working solely from home currently - and there is no pressure to work from the office. Masks when moving around, don't wear on at desk.

My feeling is that I will try working 2 days a week at home, probably Monday and Wednesday, once my laptop arrives. I have a tv I can use I as a spare monitor, and a separate room I can use as a study with a desk. For now though I like the idea of being in the office as it is easier to assess the workplace culture. It's a 15 min drive, and I can do various chores in my lunch break, which I would need to drive towards the office for anyway. At least one colleague in an adjacent team has returned to the office full time as they need separation / demarcation from home and work.

It probably helps that I am public sector so only have to do core hours of 9:30-3:30 so can avoid the traffic.

My office has closed for good so I am now permanently homeworking. There are advantages and disadvantages and I am not sure yet which I prefer. I did have to push quite hard to get a pay rise to make up for the breach of contract. I can't quite believe they had the cheek to think they could save £40,000 grand a year by closing the office and expect us to pay for our own broadband and additional electricity and heating costs.

I can't quite believe they had the cheek to think they could save £40,000 grand a year by closing the office and expect us to pay for our own broadband and additional electricity and heating costs.

indeed

may just be worth mentioning again that you can claim a bit off your income tax for wfh-ing (comes about about 60 quid a year, which isn't a lot but better than a kick up the tail)

WFH works quite nicely for me as I have kids of an age where they don't need constant monitoring and one takes herself to and from school - will need some sort of childcare coverage if I start going in again, depending on husband's work scenario, but I know my manager will be fine with waiting until I can sort that out if needs be. I'd be OK if they never reopened the office - TBH, as per my original post, I think it's going to be a good long while before we can actually use the workspace for the things it's actually useful for.

Now * this * would make me quit a job :mad: .....

The Guardian: Call centre staff to be monitored via webcam for home-working ‘infractions’.

Looks like some managers trying to justify their continued existence in a world where there is now abundant proof that people are capable of doing their jobs perfectly well without some jumped up little shit badgering them about how often they get up to go for a piss.

Absolutely - been reading/going to a lot of webinars about this, as I edit a journal for a real estate professional body. From what I see, we are going to get a lot more flex space; no one is expecting to go back into office every day; landlords are actually being quite cooperative at the mo as honestly if it's between 'Lose tenant because they can't pay 100% of their rent, then try to find another one in utterly borked market' or 'Keep hold of your tenant at a low turnover-based rent until things improve', the latter clearly makes more sense; more 'mixed use' developments incorporating a mix of everything and people maybe being more open to independent retail/hospitality tenants to make things more interesting and attractive.

Various polls suggest occupiers looking at dropping between 15-40% of their space when they can, so a big change there.

My office was already little used Monday and Friday - we're in an unusual position of actually owning our London HQ, there's lots of rumbles about whether they may sell and lease it back (or some of it), as it'd be an asset with a lot of cachet for an investor with deep pockets.

I'm not so sure about this. Property types are more than capable of shooting themselves in the foot by driving commercial rents up beyond the point at which anyone can afford to pay them and still run a viable business. Some gentrified areas have already been reduced to ghost towns in terms of commercial occupancy.

I am hopeful that independent businesses will have more luck finding affordable premises post-pandemic though. I doubt there are many big chains in a position to start aggressively hoovering up vacant retail premises.

I'm not so sure about this. Property types are more than capable of shooting themselves in the foot by driving commercial rents up beyond the point at which anyone can afford to pay them and still run a viable business. Some gentrified areas have already been reduced to ghost towns in terms of commercial occupancy.

I am hopeful that independent businesses will have more luck finding affordable premises post-pandemic though. I doubt there are many big chains in a position to start aggressively hoovering up vacant retail premises.
The Station Hill development near Reading Station has been going on for a few years now. I've watched as they demolished the Bus Station and the Top Rank, C&A (!) and Friars Walk. They were building 100,000 sq ft of new office space.

This is all I can find as an update. I really can't see why anyone would build 100,000 sq ft of offices now. But as you say, property developers ........

I'd be in favour of more residential in this development, but it's being built as "build to rent" and will be flogged off to investment funds, rather than being affordable housing for local people.

Anyone local eg chilango got any more up to date info? The first phase demolition had finished when I was last in town. Have they started building, or is this going to end up as a big hole?

Oh, it happens, believe me. Particularly if, like me, you are one of the last people into the office. If the only desk left is next to the boss.....
When I did work with that boss, there was one day a week when we both worked in a small site office , spent all day together :mad: I started working at the main office more & tbf to her , she didn't seem to mind :D

Back
Top Bottom