Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Women's World Cup 2023

I wonder whether it was that the keeper wasn't allowed to touch it again - like once it's been saved the penalty taker's not allowed to put it in the net.

That's somewhere the ref should have given the reason for the decision though.

I wonder whether it was that the keeper wasn't allowed to touch it again - like once it's been saved the penalty taker's not allowed to put it in the net.

That's somewhere the ref should have given the reason for the decision though.
Curiously, I think the 'keeper is allowed to make more than one attempt to save, even though the penalty-taker can't take another hit. There's a famous clip of a 'keeper celebrating too early and the ball bouncing over the line after an initial save.

Could very well be wrong, though.

Last edited:
I know it's a different sport. But there's some posters on here who also follow the cricket. That decision, and the faith in the technology in football makes a total mockery of 'umpires call' in cricket. If football had 'umpire's call' I suspect that goal would not have been given.

Curiously, I think the 'keeper is allowed to make more than one attempt to save, even though the penalty-taker can't take another hit. There's a famous clip of a 'kepper celebrating too early and the ball bouncing over the line after an initial save.

Could very well be wrong, though.
"The ball may touch the goalkeeper, goal posts, or crossbar any number of times before going into the goal as long as the referee believes the ball's motion is the result of the initial kick."

A kick results in a goal scored for the kicking team if, having been touched once by the kicker, the ball crosses the goal line between the goal posts and under the crossbar, without touching any player, official, or outside agent other than the defending goalkeeper. The ball may touch the goalkeeper, goal posts, or crossbar any number of times before going into the goal as long as the referee believes the ball's motion is the result of the initial kick.
It doesn't seem to explicitly say "the goalkeeper can make more than one attempt to save", but the fact the ball can touch them more than once, and it isn't explicitly stated they can't (unlike the penalty taker), would suggest they can.

I know it's a different sport. But there's some posters on here who also follow the cricket. That decision, and the faith in the technology in football makes a total mockery of 'umpires call' in cricket. If football had 'umpire's call' I suspect that goal would not have been given.
Possibly, but in cricket it's a prediction rather than an image. It may eventually be accurate enough to do away with umpire's call but perhaps they're not sure it is yet.

Shut up, no-one cares.

Possibly, but in cricket it's a prediction rather than an image. It may eventually be accurate enough to do away with umpire's call but perhaps they're not sure it is yet.

They trust Hawkeye in tennis. They trust the technology in football. But in cricket we trust the eyesight of 60yo men standing 22 yards away over technology. Anyway, derail over ;)

Why was the pen a VAR referral? I thought it was usually an instant beep to the refs watch. I mean, they may all be linked systems, but I wondered why she had to actually refer it.

Looks like it's the same apart from the return of Walsh, which I'm a bit surprised about. I know how good she is but she's been injured and Katie Zelem played very well against China including some wicked deliveries from corners.

Looks like it's the same apart from the return of Walsh, which I'm a bit surprised about. I know how good she is but she's been injured and Katie Zelem played very well against China including some wicked deliveries from corners.

Nigeria hold a strong threat on the counter attack so I'm guessing the switch is to add more steel in front of the defence.

Back
Top Bottom