Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wimbledon 2021

MrCurry

right after this urgent rest
It has indeed started! I’ll be watching Today at Wimbledon via iplayer, but with the Euros, F1 and even Olympics coming up, there’s an embarrassment of summer sport this year after last year’s drought and I’m not sure I can give much eyeball time to the Tennis :hmm:

So who’s gonna win Wimbledon this year?

So who’s gonna win Wimbledon this year?
Very hard to see it being anyone but Djokovic in the men's.

The women's is wide open.

Managed to see most of the Djokovic/Draper, Tsitsipas/Tiafoe and Murray/Basilashvili matches. Bit of a surprise Tsitspas going out in the first round, also Sinner.

I'm looking forward to this too. I caught her last match and she seemed absolutely lovely, literally jumping for joy after making good shots, carelessly shrugging when she got her appeals. Smiling and laughing throughout. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels a bit inadequate watching her. Predicted to get straight A*s or whatever they're called now and possibly into the quarters at Wimbledon.

This is her opponent btw. Nick Kyrgiois ex. And the one who had a massive tantrum in her previous round when her opponent got injured. She seems an absolute charmer. This is gonna be fun!

I'm looking forward to this too. I caught her last match and she seemed absolutely lovely, literally jumping for joy after making good shots, carelessly shrugging when she got her appeals. Smiling and laughing throughout. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels a bit inadequate watching her. Predicted to get straight A*s or whatever they're called now and possibly into the quarters at Wimbledon.

This is her opponent btw. Nick Kyrgiois ex. And the one who had a massive tantrum in her previous round when her opponent got injured. She seems an absolute charmer. This is gonna be fun!

To be fair, I believe Ajla Tomljanovic is generally OK, whereas Ostapenko is notorious! (And on an unrelated note, I loathe the way the Mail refers to all women as Miss or Mrs. Outdated and sexist. Far more respectful to just use their surnames as the BBC does.).

Though obviously I'll be cheering on Emma Radacanu today. She's had an unexpectedly brilliant Wimbledon - she seems fearless and I hope she has a bright future.

To be fair, I believe Ajla Tomljanovic is generally OK, whereas Ostapenko is notorious! (And on an unrelated note, I loathe the way the Mail refers to all women as Miss or Mrs. Outdated and sexist. Far more respectful to just use their surnames as the BBC does.).

Though obviously I'll be cheering on Emma Radacanu today. She's had an unexpectedly brilliant Wimbledon - she seems fearless and I hope she has a bright future.
Emma I understand has Romanian and Chinese parents and has just done her A-levels so is a star of a multicultural Britain. I am excited!

Emma I understand has Romanian and Chinese parents and has just done her A-levels so is a star of a multicultural Britain. I am excited!

I did hear someone on the radio earlier pointing out that the Chinese link is probably going to boost her 'marketability' massively. She's going to be a wealthy young lady.

Getting impatient now. Want the Zverev match to be over quickly, but it now looks like going the diistance.

In fairness to Tomljanovic, Ostapenko, who she played is erm.. temperamental? There was this accidental hitting of a ballboy with a racquet for starters

There have been a lot of dubious 'injuries' over the last few tournaments. There probably are genuinely more cos of lack of decent match practise, but quite a few have looked well suspicious (including Federer at the French). Plus, as you say, Ostapenko has form.

Getting impatient now. Want the Zverev match to be over quickly, but it now looks like going the diistance.
I need to watch Zverev/Auger-Alliassime, watch Federer/Sonego and cook supper, simultaneously, before the Raducanu match. :D

Obv not going to happen.

On Court One, after Auger-Alliassime and Zverev, which looks like it may go to five sets.

Felix A-A was two sets up, but now Zverev is fighting back :mad:

Currently set for 7pm but may be later.
Thanks. Katie Shanahan of the BBC tweeted me to keep up with Wimbledon but I've been so busy writing I haven't caught much. Did watch an Andy Murray victory on a big screen in Woking in a deckchair.

@KatieShanahan3

Last edited:
I need to watch Zverev/Auger-Alliassime, watch Federer/Sonego and cook supper, simultaneously, before the Raducanu match. :D

Obv not going to happen.
Quickly cook supper whilst they're putting the roof over.

I've delegated the supper to my brother.

Why does the umpire bring them together to explain the rules beforehand?

I assume if I know the rules, the players probably do.

Back
Top Bottom