Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you continue using a face mask after 19 July?

Will you continue to use a mask in certain situations after 19 July?

• Yes

Votes: 213 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
I havent challenged anyone at all but definitely not for these sort of higher reasons. Last time i wanted to say something it was three big builder-blokes, came in together, all with no masks (or tops) on, in the tiny space at the Screwfix counter next to me.
Not for a second did i think oh maybe they all happen to have an invisible disability / PTSD , there's just no way am i going to say anything cos they're bigger than me.
I think the woman behind the counter would have been quite glad if i'd been a braver person but i'm not.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to mock how anyone perceives anything. "Magic disability detecting cripdar ", what? Is it a bad thing to pay attention to people? "Invisible disability" doesn't mean invisible to everyone, all the time, for ever. It means it's not immediately obvious to most people and may not be accounted for in day-to-day interactions. Autism is "invisible" but for anyone who understands the condition and is familiar with a lot of people who have some kind of autism, it isn't invisible at all.

Some things are far less noticeable all the way to not at all noticeable, and I never said anything about magic (wtf even) I said what some people may not see, or may believe other people can't see, may be seen or otherwise noticed, in some circumstances.

It's a good thing I never claimed any of that then isn't it.

But I give up. Pretty sure we've all got way better things to do than this.

I wonder what the ratio of people with hidden disabilities to arseholes is? I reckon you could challenge a few hundred arseholes before you get to your first genuine person with a hidden disability. And those arseholes should be made to feel uncomfortable so, maybe the greater good is served by challenging them and being prepared to offend someone occasionally who doesn't deserve it.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to mock how anyone perceives anything. "Magic disability detecting cripdar ", what? Is it a bad thing to pay attention to people? "Invisible disability" doesn't mean invisible to everyone, all the time, for ever. It means it's not immediately obvious to most people and may not be accounted for in day-to-day interactions. Autism is "invisible" but for anyone who understands the condition and is familiar with a lot of people who have some kind of autism, it isn't invisible at all.

Some things are far less noticeable all the way to not at all noticeable, and I never said anything about magic (wtf even) I said what some people may not see, or may believe other people can't see, may be seen or otherwise noticed, in some circumstances.
it's pretty offensive stuff this, thinking you can tell when someone has a disability and claiming you understand the condition and then going on to claim that autism isn't invisible. you're taking absolute stuff and nonsense

I wonder what the ratio of people with hidden disabilities to arseholes is? I reckon you could challenge a few hundred arseholes before you get to your first genuine person with a hidden disability. And those arseholes should be made to feel uncomfortable so, maybe the greater good is served by challenging them and being prepared to offend someone occasionally who doesn't deserve it.

I've had people berate me for so sitting in the priority seat on buses, and using a blue badge, because when I'm sitting down you can't tell I have mobility issues. It's really, really shit.

Just back from the fucking supermarket, fucking cunts everywhere fucking maskless, no enforcement or challenging going on, getting fucking dirty looks from all these fucking rugged individualists claiming their fucking freedom. CUNTS.

Back to online collection and delivery then :(

I've had people berate me for so sitting in the priority seat on buses, and using a blue badge, because when I'm sitting down you can't tell I have mobility issues. It's really, really shit.
sure, and that's bad - but I don't think there's really a greater good served by challenging people sat in priority seats. You sitting on the priority seat doesn't contribute to the spread of a disease that could kill my gran.

I'm not offended but it's not a choice to be offended
This is sometimes true.

That's just rude, sorry to hear it. It isn't the same as challenging a mask refuser during a pandemic though, especially a large, privileged, swaggering refuser who's staring people down.

sure, and that's bad - but I don't think there's really a greater good served by challenging people sat in priority seats. You sitting on the priority seat doesn't contribute to the spread of a disease that could kill my gran.

True, but it's another reason to do it politely, if you do challenge someone, innit?

Think your estimate of hidden disabilities might be a bit low too.

Think your estimate of hidden disabilities might be a bit low too.
I'm not estimating people with hidden disabilities as a percentage of the population though, I'm estimating people with hidden disabilities you might encounter in a busy enclosed area, strutting.

I'm not estimating people with hidden disabilities as a percentage of the population though, I'm estimating people with hidden disabilities you might encounter in a busy enclosed area, strutting.
Why are people with hidden disabilities not going to behave like anyone else most of the time?

well for one thing, the most significant group of disabled people who are mask-exempt are people with respiratory conditions - everyone I know with a respiratory condition is not going to the supermarket right now, or doing so very late at night or early in the morning, and keeping their distance very carefully indeed.

well for one thing, the most significant group of disabled people who are mask-exempt are people with respiratory conditions - everyone I know with a respiratory condition is not going to the supermarket right now, or doing so very late at night or early in the morning, and keeping their distance very carefully indeed.
you’d be surprised. the area i work in is very deprived and we have a huge amount of people with COPD and other instances of poor health. And they still have to sort out their council taxes, use PCs, access other services, so we get quite a few through the doors

you’d be surprised. the area i work in is very deprived and we have a huge amount of people with COPD and other instances of poor health. And they still have to sort out their council taxes, use PCs, access other services, so we get quite a few through the doors
Sure, but I guess they aren't these guys are they?
I'm in the opposite position in that I'd be happy to confront the bellends and have a few choice words, but apparently that's not good customer service. :rolleyes:

Sure, but I guess they aren't these guys are they?
No, cos they say they're exempt and they get waved in.
The bellends we have to deal with don't say they're exempt, they just blow off about it and talk shite. It's those who I have little patience for.

There are people who cannot wear masks and there's not necessarily any way you can tell. There is also a massive number of people who are just not wearing masks because they just don't want to. There is no way that I am going to believe that, say, all the groups of 2-5 builders, who are the biggest no-mask wearers in supermarkets in my area (lot of construction work going on round here) are all somehow legitimately exempt. Or half the queue for the artisan butchers in Holland Park - actually, Holland Park is one of the worst areas for masks round here.

Back
Top Bottom