Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you continue using a face mask after 19 July?

Will you continue to use a mask in certain situations after 19 July?

• Yes

Votes: 213 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
I can only refer you to my post above yours.

I have to add that I work with a lot of disabled people, and I believe can tell the difference between someone with an invisible disability, and a selfish prick who doesn't care.

In case I'm wrong, consider this all my confession. Amen.

You can't see all invisible disabilities! That's kinda part of the definition 😁 This bloke probably was just an arsehole but it's not on to expect that all disabled people should wear a label for everyone to see, and if they don't then they're fair game.

I've been on tubes and trains lots again this week and my main observations are a) it's getting loads busier and b) lots more people aren't wearing a mask or are wearing them under their chin. Still probably only around 1 in 10 though.

You can't see all invisible disabilities! That's kinda part of the definition 😁 This bloke probably was just an arsehole but it's not on to expect that all disabled people should wear a label for everyone to see, and if they don't then they're fair game.
Of course not, but just because someone considers their disability 'invisible', doesn't mean it is, or that it can't be noticed in other ways than by sight. I wouldn't expect anyone to signpost any disability, but a lack of signposting doesn't necessarily mean someone can't perceive someone else for themselves.

Then again, a macho idiot anti-masker tends to stick out like a sore thumb.

ONS survey says:

Two-thirds (64%) of adults in Great Britain said they still plan to cover their faces in shops, following the lifting of most coronavirus legal restrictions in England from 19 July 2021.

The same percentage (64%) plan to wear masks on public transport, while 60% plan to avoid crowded places.

Of course not, but just because someone considers their disability 'invisible', doesn't mean it is, or that it can't be noticed in other ways than by sight. I wouldn't expect anyone to signpost any disability, but a lack of signposting doesn't necessarily mean someone can't perceive someone else for themselves.

I really don't think you're understanding the word invisible, you know.

Oh come on is pretty sure this guy wasn’t exempt. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what Mojo did.

I mean it could’ve escalated sure but if you’re going to act a certain way in public someone is going to tell you at some point down the line.

Oh come on is pretty sure this guy wasn’t exempt. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what Mojo did.

I mean it could’ve escalated sure but if you’re going to act a certain way in public someone is going to tell you at some point down the line.

Am I writing in code or something?

I said:

This bloke probably was just an arsehole but it's not on to expect that all disabled people should wear a label for everyone to see, and if they don't then they're fair game.

Or they might be describing their own disability accurately.
They may well be, but how someone describes themselves is not always exactly what someone else might perceive in them. We don't get to tell other people what to notice or pick up on. What's important is that we pay attention to each other and try to behave with empathy.

Today I didn't, and that was a conscious choice on my part because I was annoyed at seeing a large, bolshy man flouting rules that are for the benefit of eg people with invisible disabilities, who can't wear a mask.

Men are always being exhorted to deal with each others shitty behaviour instead of letting it go on unchallenged. I can hardly apologise for doing that. Still, I'm regretting it more and more with each post.

none will say non disposable but they can be reused for ages if you accept any very small risk of contamination.

ive been using my current one all week.
I can advise that my white FFP2 masks seem to have survived a wash cycle with no apparent loss of performance (obviously, for all I know, the washing process has made them useless, but they seem to present exactly the same resistance to air passing through them, and that's good enough for me)

They do.

Fellow non-national walks past this self daily, without a mask, chin up in the air in his swanky shirt and tie. Never an acknowledgement. Said hello once and he just sauntered by, too cool for school.

Popped to the hairdresser today as thought I ought to get a trim before twat day on Monday (also the day I start a new job so good to look smart). Hairdresser said she will continue to wear a mask and doesn't feel safe.

Probably not ideal from an electrostatic performance point of view.
Probably best to use a cool wash ...
I ordered black ones so the dirt won't show - plus I will only be wearing mine for half an hour every so many days.
I was thinking I might come up with something like a WW2 gas mask case so I don't have to keep flattening them ...

Severe distress :(

Being intubated in a HDU is severely distressing, as more people will soon be finding out.
some people would suffer serious panic attacks from having their mouth covered, as it could trigger their PTSD. you can’t see that in someone now matter how much intuition you boast of

some people would suffer serious panic attacks from having their mouth covered, as it could trigger their PTSD. you can’t see that in someone now matter how much intuition you boast of
I recognize that. But I don't see how it is the focus when bloke this morning was not that. Do we never challenge antisocial behaviour for fear of crossing someone's red line? I don't think so, I think we judge a situation and whether it's appropriate. Or not. I'm having a moment of reflection, because at the end of the day, what do we allow to pass unchallenged then?

Doesn't really matter now, after Sunday nobody really has to wear a mask any more so there's no reason to challenge it anyway.

I recognize that. But I don't see how it is the focus when bloke this morning was not that. Do we never challenge antisocial behaviour for fear of crossing someone's red line? I don't think so, I think we judge a situation and whether it's appropriate. Or not. I'm having a moment of reflection, because at the end of the day, what do we allow to pass unchallenged then?

Doesn't really matter now, after Sunday nobody really has to wear a mask any more so there's no reason to challenge it anyway.
the point is that you have no way of knowing if this bloke had a hidden disability or not.
you can have your suspicions but you have to keep them to yourself

the point is that you have no way of knowing if this bloke had a hidden disability or not.
you can have your suspicions but you have to keep them to yourself

That means we don't challenge anyone at all for not wearing a mask. Fair enough. That's not how I've approached it every single time, but it's over in two days anyway.

They may well be, but how someone describes themselves is not always exactly what someone else might perceive in them. We don't get to tell other people what to notice or pick up on. What's important is that we pay attention to each other and try to behave with empathy.

Today I didn't, and that was a conscious choice on my part because I was annoyed at seeing a large, bolshy man flouting rules that are for the benefit of eg people with invisible disabilities, who can't wear a mask.

Men are always being exhorted to deal with each others shitty behaviour instead of letting it go on unchallenged. I can hardly apologise for doing that. Still, I'm regretting it more and more with each post.

Fine, you know better than them, due to your magic disability-detecting crip-dar.

And I haven't criticised you for talking to this particular bloke.

I will continue to wear them in my local shop, the supermarket, and if I am on public transport.

edited to add: and also at work

Generally I will wear it as a courtesy for other people so that if I have it I am less likely to infect them, but where others are present and not wearing a mask I will wear mine in an attempt not to be infected by them.

Last edited:
Fine, you know better than them, due to your magic disability-detecting crip-dar.

And I haven't criticised you for talking to this particular bloke.
I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to mock how anyone perceives anything. "Magic disability detecting cripdar ", what? Is it a bad thing to pay attention to people? "Invisible disability" doesn't mean invisible to everyone, all the time, for ever. It means it's not immediately obvious to most people and may not be accounted for in day-to-day interactions. Autism is "invisible" but for anyone who understands the condition and is familiar with a lot of people who have some kind of autism, it isn't invisible at all.

Some things are far less noticeable all the way to not at all noticeable, and I never said anything about magic (wtf even) I said what some people may not see, or may believe other people can't see, may be seen or otherwise noticed, in some circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom