Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why do some feminists hate transgender people?

how then do we deal with the classist and racist nature of our judicial sytem? 'Don't do the crime, don't do the time' sounds great* untill you look at prison stats.

*it doesn't sound great. Babylon must fall then we can police ourselves rather than being policed by agencies of wider capital
I was replying to umop apisdn. His logic on this one is fatuous and you're right, the problems with the statement of his extend beyond washing its hands of prison reform.

how then do we deal with the classist and racist nature of our judicial sytem? 'Don't do the crime, don't do the time' sounds great* untill you look at prison stats.

*it doesn't sound great. Babylon must fall then we can police ourselves rather than being policed by agencies of wider capital

"Criminal justice" is currently (and will remain, under our present system of governance) something that is exercised on people "top-down". Although we don't have incidences as egregious as transportation for 7 years for stealing a loaf of bread because some JP thinks that the poor need to be taught a lesson, we do still have institutionally-classist and racist attitudes that mean poor women are more likely to get custodial sentences for crimes their middle-class sisters would be fined for, and if you're poor and non-white,then you're fucked.

I understand that some people are upset by things they disagree with, yes.

I choose to be accepting, becasue it's the right thing to do. Why are you accepting?

No need to go backchannel - this sort of stuff is what this thread is about.
I try to understand you I really do. I can see you're not against me but I can;t bear to read your Tweets on this subject, and not because I disagree with you. I disagree with people all the time. I actually struggle with internal turmoil when I read what you write. you write in the most insensitive way imaginable.

no need to reply, just saying. I won't be returning here again for a while. already reached the limit of what I can deal with.

Why does it matter that some feminists might not like transgenders? Everybody everywhere dislikes something or somebody
I think it is because there is an oldskool (and really puritanical) tendency within the women's movement (going back to some American feminist writers of the 70s) which has always found the whole transgender thing unacceptable. And the clash is between that tendency and the transgender community which in the last few years has found a common voice.

If it was just Germaine Greer mouthing off, people could take that as her just being a controversialist and you could accept it or argue it as you see fit.

When it comes to the thing that caused the explosion ('Glamour' magazine nominating Caitlyn Jenner as 'woman of the year'), I would have been on Germaine Greer's side. But Germaine Greer has always been part of this tendency and the problem lies there.

I think you'll find I haven't said anything about transgenders.

The point is how can anybody campaign to deny the existence of something that does indeed exist?

Welcome to planet earth will you be staying long?:D
Because they hate them as if people can swap sex it kinda defeats men are men and women are women and the two are different things need to stay different or else.
Also letting trans people into narrative diminishes women some how.

Back
Top Bottom