Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who is going to win the 2018/2019 Tory Leadership election?

Who is going to win the 2018/2019 Tory Leadership election?

• Total voters
Boris Johnson à la tête du Royaume-Uni ? Non merci !

For the EU, Johnson's accession to power in London would be tantamount to the installation of a small-footed Trump across the Channel dedicated to sabotaging it. The United Kingdom would no longer be content to cultivate its European malaise, or even hinder the development of the EU. It would become a hostile principality based on social, fiscal and environmental deregulation. "Boris" must stop being seen only as a jester. His entry at 10 Downing Sreet would be a calamity for his country and for Europe.

What is the purpose or utility of that comparison?
The same hopes were all about in 2016, and still to some extent now. I'd want to see a much better argument as to why he will cause its collapse, as opposed to the credible possibility that he'll be electorally popular for some time with the party falling in line. Personally I wouldn't like to bet either way but if you think we're on rails to a Tory collapse then I think there's plenty of living breathing evidence to the contrary.

Politics in a weird place. Tory MPs, many of whom hate him have decided that the last 3 years pose a question to which the only possible answer is Boris Fucking Johnson. I doubt that many of them are even thinking 'we've got to have Boris Fucking Johnson to do x and take us in that direction'. It's just that they are bouncing down a steep cheese rolling slope that heads in his direction.
Only about a third of Tory MPs, TBF, but that's all he needs to get him through to the final round.

As has been said before, he will inherit basically the same situation that May had, in terms of absence of parliamentary majority and divided parliamentary party.

I like the image of Johnson as a big cheese bouncing uncontrollably down a hill, though :thumbs:

The same hopes were all about in 2016, and still to some extent now. I'd want to see a much better argument as to why he will cause its collapse, as opposed to the credible possibility that he'll be electorally popular for some time with the party falling in line. Personally I wouldn't like to bet either way but if you think we're on rails to a Tory collapse then I think there's plenty of living breathing evidence to the contrary.

You haven't answered my question. I asked why you made the comparison to understand what you thought the similarities were between the Repbublicans and the Tories.

The Tories have been split for decades on Europe. The Republicans on the other hand don't have an issue like this that divides them and Trump doesn't threaten their interests in the way that Johnson could. You're missing the point. May kept the Tories together by not delivering Brexit and eventually she paid the price.

You said:

Which sounds like you're not that keen on the Tory party splitting in half. But then, I figured you probably wouldn't be since you love Javid so much and sing his praises.
You fucking what now? Where and when did that happen? Please quote where I've even mentioned Javid.
And what I was actually saying, for the hard of thinking, was 'at what cost to the country'.
But please do quote my post or posts that gave you the impression I love Javid. Or feel free to apologise for making shit up.

You fucking what now? Where and when did that happen? Please quote where I've even mentioned Javid.
And what I was actually saying, for the hard of thinking, was 'at what cost to the country'.
But please do quote my post or posts that gave you the impression I love Javid. Or feel free to apologise for making shit up.

You've repeatedly praised him on other threads, as you well know. You did it just today. Even when challenged on your support for one of the most reactionary Home Secretary's in history, you've stuck to that.

You've repeatedly praised him on other threads, as you well know. You did it just today. Even when challenged on your support for one of the most reactionary Home Secretary's in history, you've stuck to that.
What the fuck are you going on about, you fucking weirdo!
Go on, quote me!

Only about a third of Tory MPs, TBF, but that's all he needs to get him through to the final round.

As has been said before, he will inherit basically the same situation that May had, in terms of absence of parliamentary majority and divided parliamentary party.

I like the image of Johnson as a big cheese bouncing uncontrollably down a hill, though :thumbs:
It's possible that some kind of no deal thing would unite the opposition outside of the tory party i.e. the likes of Flint might join the rest of the Labour Party in opposing. TBH, I'm not sure what a Johnson victory would say about the state of the tory party as a voting block. My guess his potentially massive victory in the members ballot will flatten the tory moderates/wets/soft brexiters. I suspect he'll be in a marginally stronger position than May in Parliament - but will face more solid opposition in Europe.

Politics in a weird place. Tory MPs, many of whom hate him have decided that the last 3 years pose a question to which the only possible answer is Boris Fucking Johnson. I doubt that many of them are even thinking 'we've got to have Boris Fucking Johnson to do x and take us in that direction'. It's just that they are bouncing down a steep cheese rolling slope that heads in his direction.

Can we have some clarification on what the cheese represents in this analogy please. Is it Boris or something else? I don't think it makes any sense if the cheese is Boris.

Back
Top Bottom