Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which jab did you have - Astra Zeneca or Pfizer? And what side effects?

What jab? What side effects?

• I had the Pfizer

Votes: 66 18.6%
  • I had the Astra Zeneca

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I don't know what I had

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pfizer + no side effects

Votes: 65 18.3%
  • Pfizer + some side effects lasting less than/about 48 hours

Votes: 38 10.7%
  • Pfizer + side effects lasting more than 2 days

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • AZ + no side effects

Votes: 51 14.4%
  • AZ + some side effects lasting less than/about 48 hours

Votes: 121 34.1%
  • AZ + side effects lasting more than 2 days

Votes: 37 10.4%
  • Something else (explain yourself)

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you LynnDoyleCooper . I have had anxiety over the past year like pretty much everyone, but that's only one part of what I posted. The other things being wobbly like I've had a massive surge of adrenaline and generally feeling v strange. I had pretty bad side effects, this feels like a continuation of them. My body over-reacts to lots of stuff anyway.
Your reaction sounds similar to mine in many respects, and my body has a history of over-reacting as well (yours was even worse than mine, though). I would say that it's taken me a whole week to get over it, including some days when I can't pin down exactly why I didn't feel quite right (a vague 'on edge' is the best I can come up with).

Regarding the nocebo effect, I'm sure it's been a factor, but I think it's unlikely in my case at least. My main adverse reaction had a delay of three days. By that point, I had assumed I'd fully recovered and had already voted as much on here.

Last edited:
Sitting in Deeside waiting for Mrs Cheese, who is being Zeneca'ed. Will report back on side effects. She has also bought enteric coated aspirins to allay blood clot fears, which I feel is a bit over cautious...
I have a dilemma now - I actually have a pack of aspirins I bought to strip enamel when soldering ... though I'm hoping my second AZ won't actually give me persistent headaches like the first - in my case I already had underlying chronic sinusitis so it was slightly difficult to unentangle that later on - and when I got up, I found I had a very slight return of my labyrinthis and my nose has sometimes been dripping a bit since - like my immune system had noticed the sinusitis while it was worrying about the other things...

I have a dilemma now - I actually have a pack of aspirins I bought to strip enamel when soldering ... though I'm hoping my second AZ won't actually give me persistent headaches like the first - in my case I already had underlying chronic sinusitis so it was slightly difficult to unentangle that later on - and when I got up, I found I had a very slight return of my labyrinthis and my nose has sometimes been dripping a bit since - like my immune system had noticed the sinusitis while it was worrying about the other things...
What's your dilemna?

Two weeks now since the first AZ jab. I initially voted no symptoms but changed that after getting reactions two or three days later. It's still going on - I was woken up this morning by minor breathing difficulties which, until the last couple of nights, I haven't really had for a few months despite recurrent but mostly fairly mild long covid symptoms.

Sitting in Deeside waiting for Mrs Cheese, who is being Zeneca'ed. Will report back on side effects. She has also bought enteric coated aspirins to allay blood clot fears, which I feel is a bit over cautious...

Mrs Cheese was expecting AZ, but actually got Pfizered :). No immediate side effects, except sore arm and a bit fatigued...

Well this is a bit brutal. Astra Zeneca at 12.30 ish, all fine till I get into bed about 11.30 and the shivers begin. So cold, had to put clothes on and second duvet. Teeth chattering so hard worried about breaking them. Then later really hot, and nasty headache. Right now am hoping over worst rather than just a lull, but was definitely correct to write tomorrow off in advance.

Well this is a bit brutal. Astra Zeneca at 12.30 ish, all fine till I get into bed about 11.30 and the shivers begin. So cold, had to put clothes on and second duvet. Teeth chattering so hard worried about breaking them. Then later really hot, and nasty headache. Right now am hoping over worst rather than just a lull, but was definitely correct to write tomorrow off in advance.
I was the same. Felt slightly better after a massive sweating session and welding myself to the bedding. Take plenty of fluids, I was nearly dessicated! Hugs x

How many got the, ' you may get slight flu like symptoms' speech?. Why didn't they just say..
You'll feel like you've been twatted by a bus, shiver for a bit, burn up like your in your Satan's living room, feel nauseous, sweat like a bastard, and on the third day nearly shit ya self to death.
On the upside, I've heard second jab is okay :thumbs: (Astra one )

Just woke up after having second Pfizer dose yesterday. My joints are in agony, my arm is extremely sore and it would be safe to say I feel quite sorry for myself. The first time I had a sore arm but was otherwise fine, so quite disappointed it’s worse this time round. I see from a BBC article on side effects though that Pfizer seems to cause worse side effects the second time round. Hope it passes soon!

My post was wondering if you had a history of anxiety, and if you did then would think it's that rather than the vaccine directly, and if not then wondering what the link between the ingredients of the vaccine and how any of that would cause crushing anxiety mostly, but then just decided it wasn't worth posting.

Re: the next post, then the anxiety is a reaction to being ill, rather than a side effect of the vaccine itself. It might seem like splitting hairs, but there is a big difference. There would need to be some link between something the vaccine contains and then that causing the physical effects mentioned, and I haven't seen any evidence or heard any good explanation detailing the link so far, although happy to be shown otherwise.

More generally I'd say Urban seems to have a very out of the ordinary range of side effects given it's such a small sample, so I am slightly one eyebrow raised at some of what people have mentioned here. I've given hundreds of vaccines, talked to hundreds of people that have had vaccines, and get briefings on side effects and the latest data, and the stuff on here I've not seen mentioned or heard anywhere else. Like I said happy to see evidence otherwise, but it's worth considering other causes (other illnesses, psychological issues, etc.) Also coincidence is also entirely possible, as it people having a heightened sense of things due to watching for them, and as I've said before there's good research showing the expectation of side effects has a massive impact on people then having them.

You might need to climb down a bit there.

The "non evidence" of clots and platelet problems and strokes in women under 60 seems to be evidence enough for the Germans.

There's some guidance on the serious AZ side effects here:

In particular this:
What should you look out for if you received the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine?
You should speak to a health care professional if you have unusual or severe symptoms after any COVID-19 vaccine. If you experience the following symptoms between 4 and 20 days after vaccination, it might indicate that you have VIPIT: a severe headache that does not go away; a seizure; difficulty moving part of your body; new blurry vision that does not go away; difficulty speaking; shortness of breath; chest pain; severe abdominal pain; new severe swelling, pain, or colour change of an arm or a leg. These symptoms can also be a sign of other serious conditions and should be assessed in an emergency department.

What should you do if you have concerning symptoms after the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine?
If your symptoms are not severe, you can see (virtually or in-person) your primary care professional. If you have severe symptoms, you should go to the nearest emergency department immediately. You should tell the health care providers who see you that you received the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine and give them the date you got vaccinated. If the healthcare professional who assesses you is concerned, you may have scans and additional bloodwork collected.

Do healthcare professionals know how to diagnose and treat VIPIT?
Yes. Health care professionals and scientists in Ontario have been working with experts in Canada, and around the world, to better understand VIPIT. The Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table has summarized what we know about VIPIT right now and has published guides for healthcare professionals outside and inside the hospital, to help them diagnose and treat VIPIT.

Tbf however great a doctor or healthcare professional is, most treatment is not going off "what the patient says" per say, more extensive research and clinical guidance. Until recently there was no mention of serious side effects happening for AZ, or else it was assumed to be one in millions kind of thing.

So obviously the very small number of people complaining about serious side effects were not taken very seriously. It's entirety possible there was no link to the vaccine at all. It's obviously unfortunate given the handful of people that have dropped dead, but you can see the logic. Obviously a good GP etc will be balancing what they're told with what they know scientifically, but in the end you wouldnt be a doctor if you believed every random claim people make about their health/current wellbeing all around the world in different cultures etc. We also need to bear in mind what the average individual thinks is "really fucking ill" is quite different to what a medical worker sees/experiences.

Personally I think it's important we don't conflate feeling shit for a few days with serious medical conditions like blood clots, strokes etc. This thread is full of relatively very minor temporary side effects. That said, I think it's pretty likely more will come out about these extreme dangerous side effects, but even so, they are still very very rare. Almost certainly the best approach is to rest and take it easy and not stress, and talk to your doctor/health centre etc if still not improving.

Would it be appropriate to have a seperate thread about the potential (extremely rare) serious AZ issues so as not to cause more worry/anxiety on the more general ones?

Last edited:
My thoughts are with you Sugar Kane, your sister & family, and I hope she makes a full recovery.

On the blood clotting issue, advice was updated a couple of weeks ago:

Anyone who experiences a headache for more than four days after having the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab should seek medical attention, the UK's medicines regulator has said.

People should also get help if they have bruising somewhere other than the injection site after a few days, it added.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said its latest advice on Thursday was a "precautionary measure" following a "very small" number of reports of an extremely rare form of blood clot occurring in conjunction with lowered platelets after vaccination.

I've put that in bold in case anyone has missed it before, that advice was issued on the 18th March & wildly reported in the newspapers and on the TV & radio news the next day, I was following the story closely as I was booked for my jab on the 20th March, when I was also verbally given that advice at the GP's.

My SiL working at an NHS vaccination centre says they are all giving the same advice verbally, and the leaflet has also been updated now, I would hope that is the case across the board.

My thoughts are with you Sugar Kane, your sister & family, and I hope she makes a full recovery.

On the blood clotting issue, advice was updated a couple of weeks ago:

Anyone who experiences a headache for more than four days after having the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab should seek medical attention, the UK's medicines regulator has said.

People should also get help if they have bruising somewhere other than the injection site after a few days, it added.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said its latest advice on Thursday was a "precautionary measure" following a "very small" number of reports of an extremely rare form of blood clot occurring in conjunction with lowered platelets after vaccination.

I've put that in bold in case anyone has missed it before, that advice was issued on the 18th March & wildly reported in the newspapers and on the TV & radio news the next day, I was following the story closely as I was booked for my jab on the 20th March, when I was also verbally given that advice at the GP's.

My SiL working at an NHS vaccination centre says they are all giving the same advice verbally, and the leaflet has also been updated now, I would hope that is the case across the board.

I would add that not all clots cause pain. A clot from the heart for example.

Last edited:
The MHRA has updated the reports of blood clotting in people receiving the AZ jab, from the figure a couple of weeks ago.

UK regulators have found 30 cases of blood clots after use of the AstraZeneca vaccine - 25 more than previously reported. The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said on Thursday it had received no such reports of clotting events after use of the vaccine made by BioNTech and Pfizer.

Health officials said they still believe the benefits of the vaccine in the prevention of Covid far outweigh any possible risk of blood clots.

And, with about 3,000 blood clots occurring in the UK every month on average, it is not clear if the cases in people to have had the AstraZeneca vaccine are linked to the jab at all.

The agency said in a report: "The benefits of the vaccines against COVID-19 continue to outweigh any risks and you should continue to get your vaccine when invited to do so."

On Thursday, it put the count at 22 reports of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, an extremely rare brain clotting ailment.

There were a further eight reports of other clotting events associated with low blood platelets.

The cases were from a total of 18.1 million doses given - working out as one blood clot event per 600,000 doses administered.

That's good to know - and I did manage to miss the reporting of it completely. My jab was on the 18th so presumably just before word reached the vaccination centres.

Back
Top Bottom