Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where have all the bakers (and traditional grocery staples of your youth) gone? (Long time passing). 🍰🍞🥧

Where have all the bakers gone?

• Bishopbriggs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Croy

• Larbert

• Stirling

• Total voters
Thanks Danny, I've been dreaming about having a bridie for the past few weeks.
My auntie nan used to cook us bridie chips and beans after the morton games in my youth.
I believe Aulds is still going but have closed a lot of their shops.
I remember Daizel rolls being popular years ago, I think they were in Wishaw or motherwell.
I could murder a bridie now!

Where does my auld Dad get a bridie? (That doesn’t involve getting a bus tae Broughty).
You might not've thought to try one as you're vegan yourself but a lot of butchers will do them? Last time I stayed in Glasgow I got a load of bridies and tattie scones and stuff to take home for the freezer from a butchers that I think must've been somewhere between Great Western Road and the Kelvingrove, since I can mind walking round there trying to eat one without getting kicked out by the museum staff for dropping crumbs everywhere :oops:

You might not've thought to try one as you're vegan yourself but a lot of butchers will do them? Last time I stayed in Glasgow I got a load of bridies and tattie scones and stuff to take home for the freezer from a butchers that I think must've been somewhere between Great Western Road and the Kelvingrove, since I can mind walking round there trying to eat one without getting kicked out by the museum staff for dropping crumbs everywhere :oops:
🤦‍♂️ Butchers. Of course.

It's not funny danny la rouge you think getting a bus to the southside or broughty ferry for a bridie is ridiculous? I'm down in fucking sussex! I better still have some stashed in the freezer from last visit :mad::mad:

We had Percy Ingles in East London until recently. Did decent bread, smashing pastries and great doughnuts. It was cheap and cheerful but was more suited to the community than the sourdough bakeries that are all that exist now. scifisam and Rebelda

View attachment 340412
I liked Percy Ingles , shame they closed , my local one (Chatsworth Rd in Hackney) is now a fancy-pants continental cafe ffs

I liked Percy Ingles , shame they closed , my local one (Chatsworth Rd in Hackney) is now a fancy-pants continental cafe ffs

My mate Barney has just opened a butchers on Chatsworth Road, it's pricy but top notch gear. Morgan's, check it out. (Unless you're a vegetarian in which case I apologise profusely. please don't hate me).

i have a cousin called bridie. i didn't know she had been named after a pasty sort of thing

:p

where i live now doesn't have a bakery - it might have done once, but not since i've lived here.

near mum-tat's place, there's this

1662053121645.png

which is now a bakery / cafe / take-away - not really 'artisan' or any cobblers like that.

it was ackermans' bakery when i was a kitten (think they were a small chain in S London) and according to old street directories, the shop was probably a bakery / bakers' shop from when it was built - can trace it as far back as 1896.

Out of town supermarkets with their free parking did for the independent shops round where I grew up, that and bypasses which meant travellers weren't tempted in town either.

My mum used to keep going to the high street and there were loyal customers like her but it wasn't enough.

I worked with a guy who had been a master butcher. His dad had run the shop for 20 years and then my mate trained and ran it for 15 years. he could do any cut from any animal from the whole beast to the plate, game and everything else. Then they opened a Tesco in the small town the shop was in (Flitwick). After 18 months he closed. He said that he managed to walk away with no debts and a one pound coin in his pocket from the business- He kept the coin.

Tesco's closed their fresh meat counter in the store about two years ago...

you know roughly where I live and I can name at least 7 local bakers off the top of my head between Noostie and the local town, maybe aas mr snake mentioned when I told him about this thread wee bakers struggle to survive in cities where bigger chains tend to take over partly due to costs? The local schoolkids keep the bakeries round here going imo

Cakes were the first to vanish (in my town)...and those appalling traybake things (millionaires shortbread and such abominations) took the place of Carrot cake, plum frangipane, Madeira cake, custard tarts. I used to fantasise about opening a bakery just for decent cakes. Pies and bread went much later. Tbf, it's not like there is no decent bread about - I don't even mind Tesco's multi-seed sliced and there are still a number of poncy spendy ones including market days. I think the margins are just too small.Anyway, out of all the many things I missed, cos I am old (like buying really good bacon and butter), it wasn't beyond my purse or abilities to do most of the home baking, so I always have. I don't think I have even been in a Greggs.

My prodigal northern brother appeared in my life recently. I don't miss anything from the north-west apart from muffins (and Uncle Joes Mint Balls), so when he offered to bring some muffins down to my hometown, I was overjoyed. My disappointment was vast when he appeared with 6 fake muffins, identical to the ghastly things available in my local Tesco Express. I realise was in a deluded time-warp nostalgia mode but ffs - global mediocrity

Still good butchers to be found, fewer greengrocers not on the market. Not one single fishmonger though. Freaking loads of those sort of shops which sell gift food and 10 different olives. I can't say that I have ever been a regular shopper in delicatessens cos, spendy but I can live without anti-pasto and sheep's cheese but I can't get through the day without good bread because I have toast for breakfast and toast for lunch...

I am going to make lemon pudding tomorrow (salivates).

This happened when two people in household started working instead of one.

Hey we have more money they thought let's buy a bigger house.

House prices increase and now two people are working for the bank.

We both work all day and the supermarket is open late and on Sunday so we shop there.

The high Street dies, distribution is centralised and town centres die.

Social interaction is lost. Between the bank and the supermarket both are now being spit roasted at the expense of society and happiness.

Still good butchers to be found, fewer greengrocers not on the market. Not one single fishmonger though. Freaking loads of those sort of shops which sell gift food and 10 different olives. I can't say that I have ever been a regular shopper in delicatessens cos, spendy but I can live without anti-pasto and sheep's cheese but I can't get through the day without good bread because I have toast for breakfast and toast for lunch...

There will be a fishmonger opening on Victoria Road soon

Come up to Arbury Court one day, a butchers, greengrocers, Baker, chemist, bikeshop, 2 hairdressers, chippy and a dog groomers.

Yep, I used to, butcher when I lived over that end of town. Mill Road is my main shopping area (and Fitzroy Street) so yeah, decent shops still to be had (although Mill Rd. and Romsey Road are getting a bit...genteel, and our our city council are greedy fuckers.

Yep, I used to, butcher when I lived over that end of town. Mill Road is my main shopping area (and Fitzroy Street) so yeah, decent shops still to be had (although Mill Rd. and Romsey Road are getting a bit...genteel, and our our city council are greedy fuckers.
Mill Road is mostly tres Boho now 😁 at least the Arbz is still keeping it real 😎😁😁

butcher campanula do either of you remember Tyler's on Mill Road?

I was reading this thread last night and racking my brains to think of a single non-chain, non-'artisan' bakery I'd ever known, and that was the only one I could come up with!

It was there in the early 80s and had a bakery section at the front with poppy seed bloomers, Chelsea buns etc and a cafe at the back with vinyl bench seat booths and traditional frothy coffee.

butcher campanula do either of you remember Tyler's on Mill Road?

I was reading this thread last night and racking my brains to think of a single non-chain, non-'artisan' bakery I'd ever known, and that was the only one I could come up with!

It was there in the early 80s and had a bakery section at the front with poppy seed bloomers, Chelsea buns etc and a cafe at the back with vinyl bench seat booths and traditional frothy coffee.
Before my time in Cambridge.

I know of Hows and Barkers but not Tyler.

Back
Top Bottom