Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's the Spartacist League up to these days?

Interesting, Kevin. We were in the SL at precisely the same time period. Since it did not yet have international affiliates, you were in the US and we probably knew each other. I seem to remember a Keviin from Michigan (or thereabouts) who joined Ruth and me for an intervention in Harlan County, Kentucky in support of the striking coal mine workers. I wonder if that was you?

I have provided testimony above - those are my recollections and reflections on life in the SL/B as an ordinary member in the 1990's. I don't think it had an abusive or bullying internal culture. They are completely different from your recollections and intepretations from the 1980's.

That's fine - both views have been recorded now. Peace.
I, for one, appreciate your comment. I came to detest Robertson but the whining expressed on these threads does not impress me, either.

I didn't say denunciation wasn't used in society, I said its purpose was to shame people, which is different than debate.

Glad to hear they cleaned that up. The language though was only a symptom.

During a break in conference, I along with many others, watched Robertson grope a female IEC member while shouting lewd comments. Nobody objected. I wonder why not.

I'm sorry to hear that, there were a lot of damaged people in the Sparts.

If you want evidence of abuse in the Sparts there it is. The constant denunciation you describe in your first post, which produces often intense guilt and shame, is a form of psychological and emotional abuse. These feelings shouldn't be a normal part of life.
Carl, I just do not believe your recollection of events. Your claims of eternal victimhood have become tiring.

Although we have mainly been talking about Jim Robertson, what's the score with Joseph Seymour?

I'm not a Spartacist but have a number of their pamphlets several of which are transcribed from talks that he did and I found them very useful. Always seemed very lucid and relatively accessible. Is he still in the central leadership?

I imagine that was a cracking meeting when he debated Ernest Mandel!
Seymour was forced out many years ago by Robertson who claimed he was some sort of clone. I am sure Carl can give you some of the more sordid details. I was never impressed by the man. I remember when he raised the oh-so-pressing issue of whether or not we needed to wash both sides of a dish. I think he was reacting to some of the female comrades' complaints that men (that would include Seymour) did not do enough to keep house in their common households. He took at stab at modern economics, something Robertson bragged about in his meetings with the CWC, but he stopped writing about the subject shortly thereafter.
Indeed, no one on the left, aside from Ernest Mandel, attempted economic analyses, regardless of their political views, and that says a whole lot about why the left could not prevail. We all failed!

I remember when he raised the oh-so-pressing issue of whether or not we needed to wash both sides of a dish. I think he was reacting to some of the female comrades' complaints that men (that would include Seymour) did not do enough to keep house in their common households.
So what was the official Spart line on how to do the dishes? I need to know.

What line is there ever on housework, when the sexes clash in battle royale?
7dkwJ451t2wCeYzNy5F7zEPYvW9sf2QTo9coTQXBYCw.jpg

Interesting, Kevin. We were in the SL at precisely the same time period. Since it did not yet have international affiliates, you were in the US and we probably knew each other...
I was never a member nor visitor to the SLUS. The meeting I mentioned with Robertson took place in the Sydney offices of the SLANZ and probably when he and Liz G visited for a summer camp\ national gathering. Our membership was very young and Robertson’s pep talk was to pump us up. The SLANZ was likened to a youth group that was structured and functioned as a party demanding total dedication. Around that time it’s central committee and that of the SLUS functioned formally as an international leadership which became a problem for Robertson when Bill L and Adaire H were sent to head up the SLB and supposedly forgot they were on a mission. “(Dis)Honourable Schoolboy” and (counter-coup)“7 days in May” stuff was said to have taken place. Bill L, an upstart, was easily snuffed out and Adaire left shortly after.

Last edited:
Seymour was forced out many years ago by Robertson who claimed he was some sort of clone....
The clones were said to be young Seymour type intellectuals that were stopped and maybe a “re-education” was attempted or probably they just collapsed under the attack and left. The name Murry S that figured at the time could be the Canadian academic who has found space on the IBT web site.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in an earlier post I got drawn into relitigating my experience in the Sparts because of the Spycops investigation and the death of Robertson. Here and on a couple of blogs I've had some lengthy exchanges with 6 or 7 ex-Sparts (lengthier than I intended). My main observation is: if you want to make sense of what happened in the Spartacist League most ex-Sparts will be unwilling or unable to help you. I think there are two main reasons for this.

Firstly, as I've explained several times, there's the little matter of culpability. Nobody got out with their hands clean and few are willing to face up to this.

Secondly, the Sparts claim to be a part of a revolutionary tradition was purest fantasy. Jeff Robinson's juxtaposed photos make the point perfectly. The German Spartacists were real working class revolutionaries, many of whom sacrificed their lives for the movement. Robertson's Spartacist League was a piece of poorly produced theatre - a bunch of deluded adults pretending to be revolutionaries much as children play at being action heroes (though the children know it's just a game). Most ex-Sparts remain lost in Narnia.

Anyway, those are my final reflections on the matter, for what they are worth.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I got drawn into relitigating my experience in the Sparts because of the Spycops investigation and the death of Robertson. Here and on a couple of blogs I've had some lengthy exchanges with 6 or 7 ex-Sparts (lengthier than I intended). My main observation is: if you want to make sense of what happened in the Spartacist League most ex-Sparts will be unwilling or unable to help you. I think there are two main reasons for this.

Firstly, as I've explained several times, there's the little matter of culpability. Nobody got out with their hands clean and few are willing to face up to this.

Secondly, the Sparts claim to be a part of a revolutionary tradition was purest fantasy. Jeff Robinson's juxtaposed photos make the point perfectly. The German Spartacists were real working class revolutionaries, many of whom sacrificed their lives for the movement. Robertson's Spartacist League was a piece of poorly produced theatre - a bunch of deluded adults pretending to be revolutionaries much as children play at being action heroes (though the children know it's just a game). Most ex-Sparts remain lost in Narnia.

Anyway, those are my final reflections on the matter, for what they are worth.
Still more "final reflections on the matter"? As in final, final?

Just remembered about the Partisan Defense Committee being a thing. Don't really have any observations or anything about that, beyond like fair play to them for sending Mumia et al a bit of money every month?

Back
Top Bottom