What's for tea tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonight is bami goreng...

2 chicken fillets
noodles
packet of bami goreng flavoury dried stuff
lots of soy sauce

hope it's tasty...it's all i got left to eat!

May Kasahara said:
How did you make them, pootle? I've made lush chickpea burgers before like so: mash up the chickpeas with some ground cumin, dried chilli flakes, chopped spring onions, chopped garlic, lemon juice and chopped parsley/coriander, then coat them in whole cumin seeds and fry over a low heat. It's a great method cos you can just add in whatever other stuff you've got knocking around, e.g. ground nuts, different spices, bit of harissa, whatever. If you're using red or white onions instead of spring onions, though, it's best to fry them separately for a bit before adding to the burger mix as otherwise you get savage raw onion burgers.

I've made similar burgers with different beans, but these can sometimes be wetter - red kidney beans especially. It's good to add some liquid (lemon juice or olive oil or whatever) to chickpea burgers cos otherwise they can get a bit dry and break up in the pan.

Sorry if you already know/tried all this :oops:

That's a good idea. I might do that tomorrow :)

It's a great cheap tea and very filling. I've usually got a few random cans of pulses in the cupboards, so quite often resort to this type of thing.

May Kasahara said:
How did you make them, pootle?

Don't shout at me too loudly but it was using a recipe from the "You Are What You Eat" meal planner cook book (Gillian McKeith's face or name is no where near it though)

I used chickpeas, a carrot, an onion, some tahihi, some cumin, some chili powder, some pine nut, some coriander *thinks* oh and some garlic and basically just whizzed it all up in my magimix. Maybe the carrot and onion made it too "wet"?

I did forget the lemon juice though and was a little shy with the cumin and chili powder.

Maybe it was mixing it up in the blender that made them too soggy. I should try again, eh! Will try your instruction May, and try frying 'em instead of oven baking them.

If you accidentally make your burger mix too wet mix some gram/corn/whatever flour with water to make a paste and dip them in that before frying. Keeps randomly made burgers together nicely and when perfected can be used for an exceptionally nice aloo tikka chat.

*makes note*

and I guess the bland-ness was down to being too shy with stuff like the chili powder and cumin, eh?

I think it's going to be white wine risotto and some chili sausages. Mandarins for dessert – again.

Veggie lasagne.
A layer of spinach & cottage cheese and another of tomato, onion, peppers, mushrooms, courgette & a bit of cheddar :)

I have made an enormous veggie curry but I have had a sip and it is not very nice but I will duty bound t eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner till next Tuesday as hate waste:oops:
Aha! A brainwave! I will get some stoned mates around and tell them to bring bottle of wine and poppadums

Chicken in sundried tomato and basil sauce with goats cheese mash potato

Sounds horible tbh but it's all I had in the freezer!! :D

mr steev said:
That does sound nice (except it has parmesan in it). Still think I'd prefer mine though... it's all about the spinach :)
Is the parmesan problem about your tastes?

Spinach is fine food - I like to melt it into a prawn stirfry rarrr

cyberfairy said:
I have made an enormous veggie curry but I have had a sip and it is not very nice but I will duty bound t eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner till next Tuesday as hate waste:oops:
Aha! A brainwave! I will get some stoned mates around and tell them to bring bottle of wine and poppadums
Chuck some more chillis in it and do a raitha to go with it :)

sojourner said:
Chuck some more chillis in it and do a raitha to go with it :)
I can't 'do' a raitha but did find a tin of one in back of cupboard:D
I panicked at its burny watery grossness and chucked cottage cheese (sure that some indian food includes it) and a tin of lentils into the couldron. Now it is an even bigger mess of wrongness with floaty white chunks in.

*has brainwave-invites mates on K around :cool: *

Just a thought-why instead of that stupid Gillian Mckeith and her poo charts, can't Suburban come around to crap cookers like me and shake their heads sadly at my piles of wotsits whilst handing me spliffs and wine and making me hearty quiches or something:cool:

cyberfairy said:
I can't 'do' a raitha but did find a tin of one in back of cupboard:D
I panicked at its burny watery grossness and chucked cottage cheese (sure that some indian food includes it) and a tin of lentils into the couldron. Now it is an even bigger mess of wrongness with floaty white chunks in.

*has brainwave-invites mates on K around :cool: *
Piece of piss for a dead simple one. Big tub of greek yoghurt, fresh chopped mint, chopped cucumber, add some cumin if you like (I don't, I prefer the freshness without), mix. Done.

sojourner said:
Piece of piss for a dead simple one. Big tub of greek yoghurt, fresh chopped mint, chopped cucumber, add some cumin if you like (I don't, I prefer the freshness without), mix. Done.
I have no greek yougurt, no chopped mint, no cucumber and no cumin:p
I am just drinking all the wine, smoking and eating wotsits now and trying to ignore the bad smell in the kitchen :) That's the last time I try and cook.

sojourner said:
I meant when your mates come round
Ah-you mean I am a dead simple one, not the recipe:D
I am now craving a toasted cheese and baked bean sandwich more than anything in the world

pootle said:
*makes note*

and I guess the bland-ness was down to being too shy with stuff like the chili powder and cumin, eh?

Could be, could be. Chickpeas need a heavy hand with the flavourings IME, not that I ever apply any other kind to food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom