Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHICKEN! I never cook chicken, well not for myself as it's so dear but found some cheap free range organic legs in M & S. Gonna follow a Slater recipe from my new book and have it with some mash with gorgonzola chunks stirred in and a bit of broccoli

Penne with cauliflower.

cook 2 chopped garlic cloves and a chopped chilli in olive oil for a couple of minutes. chuck in cauliflower florets, cook 5 mins. chuck in half a tin of tomatoes (chop them finely first) with the juice, and some tomato puree. add parsley and sage, and a pinch of salt. simmer 10 mins.

after the 10 mins, start to cook the penne. meanwhile, add some veg stock to the cauliflower mix, just enough, not too much! add coarsely ground black pepper when there's five minutes left.

once the pasta is cooked, very roughly mash the cauliflower down. mix the pasta in. serve on warm plates.

chuck fresh herbs on top. sprinkle freshly ground parmesan on top if you ain't one of them veganites.

voila. munch it, and wonder why you're so fortunate that life could taste this good.

pasta with bacon, mushrooms, onion and green pepper fried with pesto :)

it tasted better than that sounds :D

Flashman mixed up all the leftover stew bags in the freezer and the little bag of frozen wine, added a few tins of beans and a tin of sweetcorn. Twas tres yummy for a "we haven't got any money left so let's raid the freezer" meal.

Then I knocked up some pancakes and I discovered Flashman hasn't ever eaten pancakes with jam :eek: but unfortunately he can't have them at the moment so he made do with a mandarin squeezed over. His choice, we do have lemon juice :D

I made this lovely dish earlier with new spuds, butternut squash, an assortment of seeds, garlic and Chilli, TV chefs I shit em

Mogden said:
Flashman mixed up all the leftover stew bags in the freezer and the little bag of frozen wine

That's when you know you're a grown-up - you have wine left to freeze! (I did the old Delia trick once of freezing some wine in ice cube trays. Me and one of my friends got vey drunk and ran out of booze and ate them :D )

I had pasta with chorizo, red onion, red/green peppers and spinach fried in chilli oil and loads of garlic. And I didn't cook it :cool:

lillia said:
That's when you know you're a grown-up - you have wine left to freeze! (I did the old Delia trick once of freezing some wine in ice cube trays. Me and one of my friends got vey drunk and ran out of booze and ate them :D )

:oops: It's true. I knew someone would pick up on it. :D And I did chortle at the thought of eating wine ice cubes. :D

Herbsman. said:
when you freeze wine, does the alcohol separate out from the water?
I don't think so. Actually Flashy tells me it's like wine sorbet. I knew as soon as I got through the door this evening that he'd used the wine cos there was that lovely smell of gently simmering stew with a waft of alcomahol. :)

I made a fucking gorgeous sheperd's pie tonight - there was courgette, carrot and green beans the mince (lamb) and the mash had a little nutmeg in it. Flatmates loved it.

Leftover roast chicken, roast potatoes, carrots and gravy. I ate all the leeks yesterday :oops:

And a yoghurt and two hobnobs. But I didn't have any lunch so that's alright :D

I made Home made Chilli Burrito's. With Home made salsa, and homemade guacamole.

The sour cream wasn't home made :(

Nor was the tortilla :(

Mogden said:
I don't think so. Actually Flashy tells me it's like wine sorbet. I knew as soon as I got through the door this evening that he'd used the wine cos there was that lovely smell of gently simmering stew with a waft of alcomahol. :)
I would have thought the water would freeze first, cos it freezes at 0 when pure, whereas ethanol (the alcohol inna drinks) freezes at -114... obviously the two mixed together would have a different freezing point though.

whenever i tried to make ribena ice lollies, the sweet bit used to separate, and you'd get a bit of lolly that was flavourless ice :( then a really sickly sweet overly-concentrated ribena slushie

aqua said:
pasta with bacon, mushrooms, onion and green pepper fried with pesto :)

it tasted better than that sounds :D

That sounds fantastic so can't imagine how good it tastes! But then I am craving bacon.

Had homemade minestrone 2 nights ago then last night had a gourmet pizza with prosciutto n olives. Who knows tonight, I really really don't know. Loving it.

As part of my new "cooking things from scratch" adventures I'm going to try and make some veggie burgers (made mostly with chickpeas I think) and sweet potato wedges.

Just been looking at a recipe for sweet potato wedges and apparently I need to parboil the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes...so I should cook them in boiling, bubbling water for 5 minutes, right?

pootle said:
Just been looking at a recipe for sweet potato wedges and apparently I need to parboil the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes...so I should cook them in boiling, bubbling water for 5 minutes, right?
Bah that's just nonsense. Nuke 'em in the microwave in wedge form for about 3 mins before chucking them in the oven or if you've not got nuking facilities, just put them straight in the oven. They'll crumble and turn to mush if you boil them cos they're not as hardy as ordinary spuds.

I wouldn't bother with par-boiling tbh, like mogden says they're not like standard potatoes and are lots softer

but then I don't own a microwave so maybe thats why I wouldn't bother :D

i'm still using up the dreggs of my cupboards & fridge in antication of payday - but i'm doing alright! tonight i'm having spaghetti in red pesto, with mushrooms, pinenuts, cherry tomatoes & some grated cheddar on top :)

tonite I will be scoffing Italian-style beef stew I made Sunday, with fresh crusty bread. Making a big stew then eating it thru the week with different stuff rules.

Tonight I shall still be digesting the 3 v large slices of Costco pizza I had at lunchtime while himself is off watching a gig. I'm so very sleepy at the moment. Too many carbs.

MsShirlLaverne said:
Tonight I will be mostly doing stirfry :)
Cor MsShirl, there's just no holding you back int kitchen these days is there? the most rapid transition from kitchen slut to kitchen supremo I've ever seen!

I bet you're feeling loads better eating all that good food, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom