Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a chicken out of the freezer last night so we'll have that. I'm trying to think of something interesting to have with it.

Fill a kettle, pour boling water in the chest cavity to kill any germs. Get a few bulbs of garlic, peel the 'papery' skin of it, leaving the last bit of 'skin' on. Fill the cavity with butter, rosemary and garlic bulb. Adn roast.

Serve with creamy mashed spuds, shredded buttered cabbage and peeled broad beans. Jobs a good 'un

You can squeeze the roasted caramelised garlic onto some good bread aswell. Or mix with the creamy spuds.

Fill a kettle, pour boling water in the chest cavity to kill any germs. Get a few bulbs of garlic, peel the 'papery' skin of it, leaving the last bit of 'skin' on. Fill the cavity with butter, rosemary and garlic bulb. Adn roast.

Serve with creamy mashed spuds, shredded buttered cabbage and peeled broad beans. Jobs a good 'un

Cheers, but I was more looking for interesting side dishes. The chicken's going to be pretty plain because it'll be used for sandwiches and stock afterwards. I might put a few garlic bulbs in there anyway though.

Steamed broccolli and ginger, peeled broad beans are lovely. If you're not having the spuds pureed canellini beans with garlic and extra virgin olive oil is worth a try.... a sort of warm bean 'houmous'.

Oh if only I could have steamed brocolli :D My husband (it still feels weird saying that) isn't keen on most veg, so brocolli's right out, as is cabbage, broad beans, sweetcorn, and many others. My options are: potatoes, aubergines, peas, onions, carrots pulses and lentils.

I might do a pommes boulangere and roast carrots.

Or I might just do boiled potatoes and peas. Which is not very exciting, but is nice and simple.

But I fancy a bit of a cooking challenge this evening.

That programme didn't make you want to give her a fucking slap and chuck her food in her face then? She is a VERY annoying woman.

She was half excruciatingly annoying and patronising and half very entertaining.....maybe cos I fancied her ;) though twas strange in how she irked me yet simultaneously intrigued me....

She was half excruciatingly annoying and patronising and half very entertaining.....maybe cos I fancied her ;) though twas strange in how she irked me yet simultaneously intrigued me....

Alex B and I were going "I bet the traditional Chinese food community hates her".

God, just her face makes me want to give her a slap.

I'll be in a hotel on an industrial estate next to Dublin airport, so whatever looks half-edible on the menu there. Burger, chips and Guinness most likely.

Alex B and I were going "I bet the traditional Chinese food community hates her".

i bet they don't mind the sales going up....can see her five staples being puchased in large numbers today:) as a varied and highly skilled chef I have all of those in my cupboard:);)

Awwww I thought she was really sweet and likeable! Cliche and I are going to have a go at one of those recipes tonight. I love cooking Chinese so it should be interesting to see how they compare to some of the recipes in some of my cookbooks.

Oh if only I could have steamed brocolli :D My husband (it still feels weird saying that) isn't keen on most veg, so brocolli's right out, as is cabbage, broad beans, sweetcorn, and many others. My options are: potatoes, aubergines, peas, onions, carrots pulses and lentils.

I might do a pommes boulangere and roast carrots.

Or I might just do boiled potatoes and peas. Which is not very exciting, but is nice and simple.

But I fancy a bit of a cooking challenge this evening.

Isn't keen on veg? Just shoot him with a tranquiliser gun and enjoy your veg :D

Aubergines eh?? How about a babaganoosh...

Ingredients
3 eggplants broiled (grilled/roasted for us UK types)
4 cloves garlic
fresh lemon juice, to taste
Olive oil, to taste
Kosher or Sea Salt
½ cup tahini
1½ teaspoon ground cumin
chopped fresh mint, and parsley for garnish
Preparation
Pierce eggplants with fork.
Place the eggplants in a baking dish.
Roast in oven on shelf furthest from the flame.
Broil 20 minutes on one side.
Turn and broil 10 minutes on other side.
Cool for easy handling.
With a spoon scoop out the flesh of the eggplant.
Place the flesh in bowl, sprinkle with salt.
Press to remove water from the flesh.
Drain the water and sprinkle with more salt.
Repeat this 3 times.
Combine all the ingredients in food processor or blender
Process until the mixture is smooth.
Garnished with chopped fresh mint, and parsley
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

What about peppers? Roasted pappers with olive oil and garlic?

i bet they don't mind the sales going up....can see her five staples being puchased in large numbers today:) as a varied and highly skilled chef I have all of those in my cupboard:);)

Blimey. You had chinese black vinegar in the store cupboard? Impressive...

I thought she was alright to be fair. Sound advice, decent food, a good little bit of cleaver action, not too bad all round. A fairly good job of giving practical advice - I don't believe she was helped by the patronising format ('look, even a sportsperson can use a wok') and I suspect she's not to blame for that.

But there again the competition ain't too hot. The curiously unengaging Ken Hom and Yan Can Cook (and use a cleaver impressively) are the two names which otherwise pop up with frustrating regularity.

Eh? I've never heard this before. I usually rely on the immense heat of the oven to kill any germs.

You ever got a temperature reading taken from inside a joint of meat straight out of the oven? Try it sometime, it's rarely 100 degrees, meat cooks at a lower temp than that.

The pouring of wather into the chext cavity of a chicken ios not unusual. Many people stuff that cavity with traditional stuffing, there's no guarantee than all the germs/bacteria etc will be killed during roasting. Again check the temperature with a thermometer when it comes out of the oven.

With a spoon scoop out the flesh of the eggplant.
Place the flesh in bowl, sprinkle with salt.
Press to remove water from the flesh.
Drain the water and sprinkle with more salt.
Repeat this 3 times.
I thought modern aubergines didn't require all that salting. They've had the bitterness bred out of them.

Yep, but you don't need to reach boiling point to kill off the necessary bacteria. 70 degrees is the generally accepted safe temp iirc - if you're not serving chicken raw then you'll almost certainly achieve that.

FWIW my mum and many of her generation wouldn't consider eating chicken without rinsing it well first. Whatever you tell her.

Blimey. You had chinese black vinegar in the store cupboard? Impressive...

I thought she was alright to be fair. Sound advice, decent food, a good little bit of cleaver action, not too bad all round. A fairly good job of giving practical advice - I don't believe she was helped by the patronising format ('look, even a sportsperson can use a wok') and I suspect she's not to blame for that.

But there again the competition ain't too hot. The curiously unengaging Ken Hom and Yan Can Cook (and use a cleaver impressively) are the two names which otherwise pop up with frustrating regularity.

Oh aye always try and pick up a few bits and bobs when in a chinese supermarket....shaoshing wine, suechaun pepper, etc buy it then look for a recipie...makes you try different stuff:)

I thought modern aubergines didn't require all that salting. They've had the bitterness bred out of them.

I always sprinkle salt on them, always have. Habit I suppose, btw the recipe is a C&P but i'd still salt them. Sometimes training sticks in yer brain.

FWIW my mum and many of her generation wouldn't consider eating chicken without rinsing it well first. Whatever you tell her.

Mine too and so am conditioned to do this myself...I have no idea what benefits it could have - except perhaps washing out any stray blood 'n' guts.

I do know thought that washing in boiling water can't be necessary cos I aint dead yet! ;)

Huurah! I have long been a fan of the old breadede/fried camembert so thought I'd give it a whirl. Got some fancy french bread and veggies to dip therein :)

tis lush....what I do is insert slivers of garlic and fresh rosemary into the cheese maybe make 12 incisions in the top and then splash some white wine on ....a bit of a faff though adds to it...:)

Oh aye always try and pick up a few bits and bobs when in a chinese supermarket....shaoshing wine, suechaun pepper, etc buy it then look for a recipie...makes you try different stuff:)

Black vinegar though? I'll admit to only using it a few times before, and I'm a bloke who does a hefty chunk of my shopping in the local oriental stores.

Shaoshing's essential mind.

ETA: You'd be picking up all kinds of weird things if you took that approach in my neck of the woods. Everything from wind dried sausages through to moss and dried semen, yes that's what I said. Some kind of (plant) seed apparently. The pack of semen lingered on our shelves for a few years - never did find a use for that

we're gonna have camemebert baked in the box - never made it before so am looking forward to it!

Little slits/holes and put slivers of garlic in there, pour in a little dry white wine, serve with boiled baby new potatoes. :D:cool:

E2A Mrs Miggins beat me to it.

If you don't see it, it won't be because we didn't have it; it'll be because I forgot to type it in. :)

Greens are a twice-a-day thing chez Otter. I grow a half-dozen lettuces, two kinds of spinach, arugula, three or four radicchios and several other chicories at any given time. Greens are your friend.

Thursday - Macaroni cheese
Friday - potatoes with steamed leek, carrots and peas in butter and a spicy bean burger
Saturday - Vietnamese chili tofu & veg fried rice
Sunday - Veg balti
Monday - Leftovers from all of the above with half a slice of pizza. Odd combinations to have on one plate but actually fantastic.

Tonight - to friends of the GF's for dinner.

I must remember to make a macaroni cheese again. I haven't done one for ages but every time I see you post it ringo it reminds me :D

I have to eat it every week. Sadly I couldn't make your recipe as my oven is still bust so I had to make the cheese sauce, mix with the pasta and then grill it.

Three weeks without an oven is getting unbearable. Last night GF cooked pizzas under the grill on a preheated oven dish. A game attempt, but it's not right. Looks like the cooker manaufacturers are not going to supply FSD ready cookers in a hurry so I'll end up buying an expensive one from John Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom