Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohmylord, this was good. Such a simple dressing - chop two birds eye chillis finely (keeping seeds in), mix in a dish with the juice of one lime - absolutely fucking LUSH. I dumped the steamed pak choi in the bottom of a dish, laid the noodles over, then tossed the lot in the dressing.

OU - you could try this as a low-fat food, with some poached fish - delish, and I got an almost instant hit off the chillis :cool:

this

mmmm sounds yummy - fish is expensive though, so not something to eat regularly - hot, though, so will try it certainly.

Wish you lived closer, I'd well take them off your hands. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to buy rabbit round here. Last time, I ended up going the abbatoir for one, but it was ancient, stringy as fuck. My old dealer used to get me a few that he'd shot himself but I don't see him anymore.

The rabbit abbatoir here charges way too much-- typically over $10 for a modest-sized bunny-- and like yours, they try to foist old, bred-out does as actual meat. :mad:

Wild bunnies are vermin here. We shoot them, but we prefer the taste of our grain-fed New Zealands. Wild rabbits get skinned, cut up and frozen for barn cat and doggie treats through the winter.

Now wild hare, that's another story. I do a killer hasenpfeffer. :)

mmmm sounds yummy - fish is expensive though, so not something to eat regularly - hot, though, so will try it certainly.

Not all fish - you can pick up coley fillets really cheap, and they go very well with this kind of thing :) I always use them for thai fish soup.

Yeh, deffo give it a go - it's stunning, dead simple, and takes no time

Think I'm gonna do a variation on penne arrabiata. Have tinned toms, will chuck some chopped birds eye chillis in, and some cannellini beans, cos I just fancy them.

The rabbit abbatoir here charges way too much-- typically over $10 for a modest-sized bunny-- and like yours, they try to foist old, bred-out does as actual meat. :mad:

Wild bunnies are vermin here. We shoot them, but we prefer the taste of our grain-fed New Zealands. Wild rabbits get skinned, cut up and frozen for barn cat and doggie treats through the winter.

Now wild hare, that's another story. I do a killer hasenpfeffer. :)

Yeh, I paid about £7 for this ancient bunny. Nowt like the fresh young bunnies me dad used to serve up. Him and my nan used to make tremendous rabbit stews with them. I used to have to travel 8 hours on a coach to visit my nan, with a bag of bloody (literally) rabbit :D

Made me want rabbit again now :cool:

Never had hare - always fancied it though. And squirrel

Yeh, I paid about £7 for this ancient bunny. Nowt like the fresh young bunnies me dad used to serve up. Him and my nan used to make tremendous rabbit stews with them. I used to have to travel 8 hours on a coach to visit my nan, with a bag of bloody (literally) rabbit :D

Made me want rabbit again now :cool:

Never had hare - always fancied it though. And squirrel

i've never had rabbit

Not all fish - you can pick up coley fillets really cheap, and they go very well with this kind of thing :) I always use them for thai fish soup.

Yeh, deffo give it a go - it's stunning, dead simple, and takes no time

Think I'm gonna do a variation on penne arrabiata. Have tinned toms, will chuck some chopped birds eye chillis in, and some cannellini beans, cos I just fancy them.

I've got the recipe for a brilliant tomato and cannellini bean soup if you fancy it?

Chunky, meaty, not as boney as a lot of fish, and holds its shape well in a soup - not one to eat just on its own, needs something it can take the flavour of, so perfect with this dressing. And it's dirt cheap! :cool:

Best not to publicise its stellar qualities too widely.

It used to be, for decades, that monkfish was completely unavailable at the fish shops, even the wholesalers rarely had it. On the east coast where it's caught, people were considered down and out if they ate "poor man's lobster". Most of it got used as chum or bait or gull food.

Then the yuppies discovered it in the 1980s and though it became widely available, you couldn't buy any without taking out a second mortgage. :)

I'd hate to see that happen to the noble pollock (which, incidently, is among the most "green" fish to buy these days)

It uses fresh tomatoes, but if you've only got tinned I'd be tempted to drain and bake them and see what comes out.

1kg ripe tomatoes, halved
6 cloves garlic, skin left on
1 onion
2 sticks of celery
1 litre veg, chicken, or pork stock
400g tin of cannellini beans
Parsley

Put the tomatoes in a pan skin side down and roast them with the garlic until they're all sticky.

Chop up the onions and celery, and fry them until they're soft.

Take the roasted tomatoes and pinch the skin off. Throw the skin away. Add the toms to the onion and celery, squeeze the garlic out of their skins and add that too. Mush it up a bit with a spoon.

Add the stock and beans, boil, and then simmer for about half an hour.

Chop the parsley and stir into the soup as you dish it up.

It's really good with home made pesto on bread/crostini.

Best not to publicise its stellar qualities too widely.

It used to be, for decades, that monkfish was completely unavailable at the fish shops, even the wholesalers rarely had it. On the east coast where it's caught, people were considered down and out if they ate "poor man's lobster". Most of it got used as chum or bait or gull food.

Then the yuppies discovered it in the 1980s and though it became widely available, you couldn't buy any without taking out a second mortgage. :)

I'd hate to see that happen to the noble pollock (which, incidently, is among the most "green" fish to buy these days)

heh - my best mate actually feeds her cat on coley! I was aghast when I found out! well, I'm not broadcasting it to the world, just to the 40k or so posters on urban ;)

mmmm monkfish. my dad used to catch that on his fishing trips - now THERE'S a meaty fish. :cool: Aye, last time I had that, it was in a restaurant, was very badly over-cooked, and was one of the priciest things on the menu!

It uses fresh tomatoes, but if you've only got tinned I'd be tempted to drain and bake them and see what comes out.

1kg ripe tomatoes, halved
6 cloves garlic, skin left on
1 onion
2 sticks of celery
1 litre veg, chicken, or pork stock
400g tin of cannellini beans
Parsley

Put the tomatoes in a pan skin side down and roast them with the garlic until they're all sticky.

Chop up the onions and celery, and fry them until they're soft.

Take the roasted tomatoes and pinch the skin off. Throw the skin away. Add the toms to the onion and celery, squeeze the garlic out of their skins and add that too. Mush it up a bit with a spoon.

Add the stock and beans, boil, and then simmer for about half an hour.

Chop the parsley and stir into the soup as you dish it up.

It's really good with home made pesto on bread/crostini.

mmm sounds lush. well, I think to do it justice, I would use fresh toms...might do this as the first dish I make with the toms I'm growing. Cut, pasted, and added to my food file, cheers Enid :cool:

Think thyme might be a good addition to this as well - and of course, some sea salt and black pepper

mmm sounds lush. well, I think to do it justice, I would use fresh toms...might do this as the first dish I make with the toms I'm growing. Cut, pasted, and added to my food file, cheers Enid :cool:

Think thyme might be a good addition to this as well - and of course, some sea salt and black pepper

Yeah, forgot to add all the seasoning stuff.

I've done it where I've roasted the toms with rosemary and/or sage, that was good too.

That IS a winner. I've copied it as well. Ta' Enid. :)

I'll make it this way once. After that, I'm fucking with it. :D

That IS a winner. I've copied it as well. Ta' Enid. :)

I'll make it this way once. After that, I'm fucking with it. :D

:D I ALWAYS do that. A lot of the time, I'll make stuff up, but if given a recipe, will follow it faithfully (most of the time) first time around, and then fuck about with it :D

nothing, because i forgot to get anything out the freezer, and the kids had the last of the cupboard food. so i am going to raid the house for enough cash to get a pizza, but i doubt there will be enough. is it payday yet ? :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom