Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roasted beetroot, goats cheese and walnut tart, salad and new potatoes.

I cheated a bit cos I couldn't be arsed to make the pastry. So I asked my gf to get a tart case on her way home from work... and she turned up with a flan tin! D'oh! I've just had to go out and get one, so it looks like we'll be eating late again. :)

Had a flash of inspiration and motivation... going to do chorizo in red wine with mash :D

Any tips on the chorizo in red wine... was just going to pour in a splash and let it reduce :)

Roasted beetroot, goats cheese and walnut tart, salad and new potatoes.

I cheated a bit cos I couldn't be arsed to make the pastry. So I asked my gf to get a tart case on her way home from work... and she turned up with a flan tin! D'oh! I've just had to go out and get one, so it looks like we'll be eating late again. :)

:D sounds lovely though. Beetroot, goats cheese, walnuts and aspargus make a lush salad too.

Not all fish - you can pick up coley fillets really cheap, and they go very well with this kind of thing :) I always use them for thai fish soup.

Yeh, deffo give it a go - it's stunning, dead simple, and takes no time

Think I'm gonna do a variation on penne arrabiata. Have tinned toms, will chuck some chopped birds eye chillis in, and some cannellini beans, cos I just fancy them.

Stupid question now - how do I poach fish?

Only ever done it in milk for fish pie, but guess the principle would be the same for stock/water:

Poach the fish. Put the fish in the frying pan and pour over 500ml of the milk. Stud each onion quarter with a clove, then add to the milk, with the bay leaves. Bring the milk just to the boil - you will see a few small bubbles. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 mins.
^ that's for quite a bit of fish though, from here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3174/fish-pie--in-four-steps

Basically simmer it for a few mins :)

Ta! Will try soj's recipe tomorrow - more cous cous left overs tonight - I ended up using the Cranks' recipe but stuck loads of lamb in it too. Oops.

there was quite a lot of cheese :oops:

tbh wasn't really bothered about tea tonight, had a big lunch :cool:

Wasn't planning on anything as was still full after gorgeous late afternoon pub grub of steak and ale pie, chips and chocolate cheesecake. Came home slept it off and had tea, toast and strawberry jam. I'm now fighting the urge to put some chips on

Pasta with pesto and errrrrrr.............something else that I haven't quite decided on :hmm: ....I took delivery of my new Chasseur cast iron griddle earlier this week though :cool: so I might have to do some marinated, griddled chicken breasts, even if chicken breasts are boring, bland, on the dry side and relatively tasteless. :( :D

Will have it with whatever veg is available on the plot...mange tout and broad beans probably.

Skipped tea in the end last night which was poor form.
The pie (venison and mushroom) is still in the fridge and needs using up :)

Stupid question now - how do I poach fish?

The point of the meal you'll be making is that it's lowfat and tasty, so even though normally I would poach fish in milk, I wouldn't for this. And anyway, I don't think it will taste as nice with the lime/chilli flavour

Just bring water to the boil in a pan, enough to cover the fish, put the fish in, simmer for about 5 mins. Done :)

I've taken some beef stew out of the freezer for our tea tonight

I really want a chinese, but I haven't got the money for it.
I've got an aubergine, pots and toms, and feta in the fridge. Any ideas?

Had a flash of inspiration and motivation... going to do chorizo in red wine with mash :D

Any tips on the chorizo in red wine... was just going to pour in a splash and let it reduce :)

Chop up around 5 cloves of garlic and a red onion, and fry this really slowly over a low heat. Sounds like a lot but its not if its done slowly, and you need a fair bit of garlic to tame the sweetness of the sauce, I also squeeze in some lemon. Dont use too much oil, as the oil from the chorizo will also cook it, along with a glug of olive oil. Add your chopped chorizo and a generous handful of bouquet garnis and cook slowly. Then chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes and about two generous glasses of red wine, plus a splash of Balsamic vinegar. Simmer over low heat and watch it all reduce. I would add a few sundried tomatoes too for extra punch.

Do your mash with both parsnip and potato with loads of butter and maybe a dollop of mascarpone at the end. Season with cracked black pepper.

Tonight it's an old classic of Stroganoff, with the rump steak and sour cream I've got to use up from the fridge. Looking forward to it - been ages since I've had the stuff.

Biddley, without trying to cause any controversy in genteel suburban, I'd advise caution on Cheesy's recipe. Sounds a bit of an unnecessary mishmash if I'm honest. Simple wins for me - cook it easy tapas style with just onion, red wine and some parsley/thyme I reckon. No need for cloying basamic vinegar imo, which will let you cut down on the garlic and enjoy the flavour of the chorizo. Better if you can get fresh/semi-dried chorizo from any of the Portuguese deli places around here, which will flavour and colour things far more when you fry it. The fresher chorizo also means you can do away with the tomatoes, they'll be overwhelmed by the wine and sausage in the main.

Works well with lentils or chickpeas added if you fancy them. And a side dish of batatas bravas. I loves chorizo.

:)

Chop up around 5 cloves of garlic and a red onion, and fry this really slowly over a low heat. Sounds like a lot but its not if its done slowly, and you need a fair bit of garlic to tame the sweetness of the sauce, I also squeeze in some lemon. Dont use too much oil, as the oil from the chorizo will also cook it, along with a glug of olive oil. Add your chopped chorizo and a generous handful of bouquet garnis and cook slowly. Then chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes and about two generous glasses of red wine, plus a splash of Balsamic vinegar. Simmer over low heat and watch it all reduce. I would add a few sundried tomatoes too for extra punch.

Do your mash with both parsnip and potato with loads of butter and maybe a dollop of mascarpone at the end. Season with cracked black pepper.
Ta cheesey, but it was last night's tea, and was a bit rubbish :D I just did the chorizo in wine - didn't think to add anything else - will save that for another time.

No idea what's for tea tonight... I'm v v tired... maybe premade fishcakes... hmmmm.

Ta cheesey, but it was last night's tea, and was a bit rubbish :D I just did the chorizo in wine - didn't think to add anything else - will save that for another time.

the recipe is a real winner, i usually turn it into a stew for around 6 with sweet potatoes, mushrooms and parsnip. Its very intense and supposed to be rich and indulgent. You only need a small bowl of it with some shavings of parma regianno, no bread either.

its all about cooking your sauce VERY slowly with the love and tender care you would apply to a stomping bolognese sauce for example :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom