Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aqua said:
how did you do your stroganoff soj?
I used the best out of 2 recipes I found online and chucked in a couple of herbs of me own.

I gently fried finely chopped onions in butter and olive oil, doused some sliced mushrooms in smoked paprika and then added them to the onions and fried until nice and soft. Added chopped garlic, then salt and pepper, and about half tsp each of ground coriander and coriander leaf. Then chucked in about 150ml double cream, and a splash of red wine, and simmered while the rice cooked.

Steamed some mange tout to go with it - heaven on a fucking plate mate! I'm deffo doing this for me veggie mates :cool:

Dunno, I feel like making something tasty and fun for Mr K because he's had a bitch of a week - well, actually a bitch of a month - and is tired and deserves taste and fun.

Feeling a bit stuck for inspiration though. Might do nachos with home made everything, followed by something appley for dessert as I've got a big bag of apples off a colleague.

May Kasahara said:
Dunno, I feel like making something tasty and fun for Mr K because he's had a bitch of a week - well, actually a bitch of a month - and is tired and deserves taste and fun.

Feeling a bit stuck for inspiration though. Might do nachos with home made everything, followed by something appley for dessert as I've got a big bag of apples off a colleague.

STEAK.

May Kasahara said:

what about making a big chilli, get some flour tortillas, make some guacamole, get some sour cream, lots of tasty cheese, salsa etc and make your own wraps at the table - food eaten with hands always cheers me up :D

then a good apple crumble with custard later on :cool:

aqua said:
what about making a big chilli, get some flour tortillas, make some guacamole, get some sour cream, lots of tasty cheese, salsa etc and make your own wraps at the table - food eaten with hands always cheers me up :D

then a good apple crumble with custard later on :cool:

Yeah, I might do - chilli bean wraps is one of his favourite meals.

I could do him a steak, as this is certainly another of his favourite meals. But then I'd have to do something else for myself, and I'm supposed to at least make a pretence of doing uni work this afternoon instead of just cooking all day.

We've got a load of leftover sliced roast pork that we had last Sunday for lunch.
Can't be arsed to put much effort in so we're just going to stick it in the oven in some onion gravy and then have it an a crusty baguette!!!! Might have to think of a nice pud though ??

sojourner said:
Woo hello dolly! *waves*

hellllllllooooooooooooooooooo soj!!!! :cool: :cool:

how are you? what are you eating for lunch (a sandwich per chance?)? what are you cooking for tea? so many questions, so little time!

Home made chips and a couple of things from Govinda's vegetarian Krishna place - a paneer and veg pastie looking thingy and a spinach and paneer pastry roll.

dolly's gal said:
hellllllllooooooooooooooooooo soj!!!! :cool: :cool:

how are you? what are you eating for lunch (a sandwich per chance?)? what are you cooking for tea? so many questions, so little time!
I'm overworked and underpaid dolly! Woo! I had a cheese, tomato and spinach butty for lunch!!! But I'm having boring pizza for tea :( but I had amazing mushroom stroganoff last night!!! :D

I'm having roast goose and CAKE tomorrow :cool:

Steamed momos for me and heo and pesto pasta, frankfurters and courgettes for the babbies.....and warm treacle tart and single cream for all of us for pud <gurgles> ...... :cool:

Do you lot always have pud then? I never have pudding with my dinner, it just doesn't occur to me. I might have a lemon mousse occasionally, but that's it.

I guess it's because I don't have a sweet tooth at all.

missfran said:
Do you lot always have pud then? I never have pudding with my dinner, it just doesn't occur to me. I might have a lemon mousse occasionally, but that's it.

I guess it's because I don't have a sweet tooth at all.
I have to have some kind of sweet stuff at some point following me tea, but it's not usually a pudding as such. I just buy a big bar of bournville at the start of the week and have a few chunks each night

I've decided against chilli bean tortillas, and nicked aqua's other idea of a buffet style picky tea. So I will be making: potato salad; red cabbage slaw; guacamole; hummus; grilled pepper salad. These will be augmented with some delightful shop-bought pitta breads (for dipping purposes), and I may very well make apple crumble for afters, or maybe apple pancakes if we're a bit too full :cool:

sojourner said:
I have to have some kind of sweet stuff at some point following me tea, but it's not usually a pudding as such. I just buy a big bar of bournville at the start of the week and have a few chunks each night

Bourneville? Sweet?

Mrs Miggins said:

MOMOs

Except I've never seen them that shape - they're more like this...

Darjeeling_Momo.jpg

Or this (these are fried - also very very tasty)....

momos_and_chilli.jpg

I'm actually using a recipe for Jiaozi, which is the (northern) Chinese version :oops: but ultimately not much difference in them - there are an enormous number of variations in flavourings/meat/veg/cheese etc anyway.

They're absolutely fucking delicious though.

We used to wolf em down by the bucket load in Nepal and the Indian Himilaya so I was delighted to find theis recipe which is so close as to be identical (given what I said above about them all being a little different anyway heh heh).

Slightly fiddly to make but wonton cases (easily bought ready prepared from any Oriental store) are actually pretty sturdy things.

Knocking up the filling itself takes bugger all time too.

This quantity is for 50 and to give you an idea of what that'd do - me and heo will have 12 each today, cos we're greedy fat bastards (as a main - served with some dipping sauce) and then I'll divide another 26 between the four of us to have in a soup with some veg and maybe a few extra noodles.

300g chinese cabbage (chinese leaf or pak choi'll do) very finely chopped, with a teaspoon of salt mixed into it and left for 30 mins or so....(do the rest of the stuff in between and when everything else is done, wring the excess water out of the cabbage before adding it to the bowl)...

450g minced pork (I buy mince and then chop it even more finely)

100g chinese garlic chives (not sure how different these are to our own chives but I've used combinations of chives and spring onions and not always quite to the quantity given here) again finely chopped

2.5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon rice wine
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornflour

Mix the lot up then place a heaped teaspoonfull inside a wrapper, wet the edge with a little water (using your finger) and press firmly to seal.

Put them on a baking sheet dusted with cornflour so they don't stick and don't leave them sitting to long or they might become soggy and sticky.

Chuck 25 at a time (more if they'll fit!) in a large pan of boiling water, stir immediately so they don't stick (as you would with pasta) then boil for 8-9 minutes and drain.

Serve with whatever dipping sauce you fancy (plain soy is nice enough - or some chilli sauce or whatever!).

YUM!

That sounds LUSH, sheo. And I've some gyoza wrappers I've been wondering what to do with. I might make that this weekend. If I post it on the blog, I'll give you full credit. :)

missfran said:
Do you lot always have pud then? I never have pudding with my dinner, it just doesn't occur to me.

No!

Friday is cream cake/whatever cake day - just *because it is* :D - I don't have much of a sweet tooth either, but once a week, something a little bit special is nice.

But also - you don't have kids!

I never had pudding before kids either!

Except when I was a kid myself! :D

The kids and heo (who does have a sweet tooth) occasionally get some creme caramels or chocolate mousses or yoghurts or fruit fools in during the week, or knock up a bowl of Angel D :cool: but we certainly don't have pudding every night.

The boy will always ask though :p but makes do with an apple or a biscuit if we've got nothing else and he fancies some afters.

Do it missfran - they ARE lush - tbf though I only got the recipe out of me chinese cookbook, so deserve no more credit than personally finding them exceptionally tasty heh heh! :D

I reckon you'd really enjoy making them too, btw - very medititive iykwim. :cool:

The book is this one btw...

foodofchinajourney.jpg

...and I can't recommend it highly enough, it's a fantastic book imo, with a lot more than just (great!) recipes to it. :cool:

sheothebudworths said:
Oh - and another great big DO IT to Mrs Miggins too! :D

I will!!

One question though....do you cook them all then then fridge the ones you don't eat? then what - fry them or re-boil them?!?

I don't - I do them in two batches, but that's a bit of a pain cos the wonton wrappers come frozen so obviously you've got to use them up relatively quickly (not too much of a problem mind, cos the pair of us could pretty happily eat them every day :D ).

However - in one of those links it says that it's usual to cook them all, then fry the ones you haven't eaten the next day (day after would be fine too, surely).

I've had them deep fried in India and they are LOVELY (chicken ones.....mmmmmmmmm) and just assumed you'd fry em straight off, but can imagine you'd get a crispy outside way before the inside was cooked so that sounds very sensible.

That book suggests a way of steam frying too - frying a layer of them them in a tablespoon of oil for 2 mins - shaking them as you do - then add a third of cup of water, cover and steam for 2 mins, uncover and continue steaming till all the water's gone.

I did try this - and while it was nice (nice to have a change too) it wasn't quite as good as deep fried :oops: :D so I thought I'd carry on with the healthy option and save frying them till I've discovered a fail safe way to do it (frying precooked ones sounds pretty good I must admit)! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom