Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the encouragement ladies, I feel better about things today :) And as Mr K very wisely pointed out, learning to operate a car is easy, it's learning to drive on the roads that actually takes the time.

Tonight for tea I might make a chickpea curry or something. It's been a while since I did anything decent in the kitchen.

tonight I shall be using the prawns in the freezer :D

I think :oops: I have a cake to ice and decorate so it's all dependant on that

sojourner said:
:eek:

When? Where? who,how,upside down cake etc

:D

Off to a book signing at Waterstones in Notts. Flashy has just been sent home from work though cos he's barking up a technicoloured rainbow. I think he has my bug :( I hope he's well enough for Notts later. Too scared to go on me own. :oops: I have my outfit all planned out too :( And I want her to sign my wally trolley.

Last night we had Roasted Butternut Squash, Mushroom and Spinach Lasagne - it was yummy, so we'll be having the remainder tonight - hooray :cool:

I is gonna make that roasted root veg thai curry that was in the paper the other week cos the husband is out so I can make vegetable teas for myself when he's not around. And there will be enough for lunch tomorrow :D

Mogden said:

Off to a book signing at Waterstones in Notts. Flashy has just been sent home from work though cos he's barking up a technicoloured rainbow. I think he has my bug :( I hope he's well enough for Notts later. Too scared to go on me own. :oops: I have my outfit all planned out too :( And I want her to sign my wally trolley.
Oooh poor Flashy

But you can't turn down Nigella for gods sake woman!! I'll be there, mentally! :D

Mrs Miggins said:
I is gonna make that roasted root veg thai curry that was in the paper the other week cos the husband is out so I can make vegetable teas for myself when he's not around. And there will be enough for lunch tomorrow :D
Let me know how that turns out cos I quite fancy making that

I forgot to take anything out of the freezer tonight, so it will be either something from the John Lewis Foodhall or M&S.

Or something involving chorizo or smoked trout - which is about all there is in the fridge at the moment. :(

sojourner said:
Oooh poor Flashy

But you can't turn down Nigella for gods sake woman!! I'll be there, mentally! :D

*pictures a crazy looking soj*

LOL! He reckons a sit down at Wagamama will sort him out. I've got vertigo, a cold, lady garden issues and me hair is falling out but I shall go!! And I'm taking a camera so I can always Photoshop you in later soj if I manage to get a snap or three ;) :D

And I don't care that this is off topic for this thread, it's Nigella!

Mogden said:

*pictures a crazy looking soj*

LOL! He reckons a sit down at Wagamama will sort him out. I've got vertigo, a cold, lady garden issues and me hair is falling out but I shall go!! And I'm taking a camera so I can always Photoshop you in later soj if I manage to get a snap or three ;) :D

And I don't care that this is off topic for this thread, it's Nigella!
Woohooo!!!! I can send out xmas cards with that pic on!! And make a calendar with it on! And coasters! And a kitchen pinny! :D :oops:

have a smoked haddock in the fridge.

dunno how to cook it.
thinking of a dish that involves loads of veggies without potatoes, pasta or rice.

you nutters :D

we're having spag bol tonight if i can remember to buy pasta on the way home. if not, it'll be chilli. it was takeaway curry night last night and it wasn't that great. my dupiaza wasn't what a dupiaza normally is. disappointment :(

CharlieAddict said:
have a smoked haddock in the fridge.

dunno how to cook it.
thinking of a dish that involves loads of veggies without potatoes, pasta or rice.
Poach it for about 5 mins in milk

Serve with celeriac mash and garden peas, or petit pois

CharlieAddict said:
what a splendid idea!
seems pretty quick and easy.
will give it a shout me thinks.

why the milk?
I just prefer it done in milk, gives it a little mellow roundness in the overall flavour :)

baldrick said:
you nutters :D

we're having spag bol tonight if i can remember to buy pasta on the way home. if not, it'll be chilli. it was takeaway curry night last night and it wasn't that great. my dupiaza wasn't what a dupiaza normally is. disappointment :(
you need to start ordering from better takeaways :D all the ones round us will deliver to you you know :cool:

I'm not having roast peps anymore - I've just been out and now feel the need for soup. I have the ingredients for carrot and lentil, and leek and potato, so will see what I feel like when I get home :cool:

:D:D

I iz a happy Mogden and I've no idea where to post this and couldn't think that it deserved a "I met Nigella" thread all of its own.

I'm actually jealous of her boobage. She outboobed me! :eek: That's never happened to me before. She gave an excellent talk. Poor love was shattered so I didn't really speak much other than to ask her to sign my shopping trolley :oops::D as well as my book. I have photos too!

And to keep it in line with this thread, I had yakitori and gyoza and Flashy had cha han and we quaffed lots of green tea.

yay to nigella :D

I had thai red curry with the king prawns and brown rice (and half a tonne of veg :D)

I think this weekend I'm going to try to make an Osso Bucco ragu....this will be uncharted terriroty for me. I found a good recipe that is listed below.

4 (2-inch thick) veal shanks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup instant flour (recommended: Wondra)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced carrot
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup white wine
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried Italian oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 bouquet garni (bundle fresh parsley stems, peppercorns and bay leaf wrapped in cheesecloth)
3 cups beef broth

Gremolata:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, zested
1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves

1 pound pappardelle
Shaved Parmesan

Season the veal shanks with salt and pepper and lightly dust each side with flour. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and brown the veal shanks on all sides. Remove the browned veal shanks to a paper towel lined plate.

Add the onion, celery and carrots to the hot pan and cook the vegetables over a medium high heat until they are a golden brown, stirring occasionally so the vegetables do not stick to the bottom of the pan, about 6 minutes. As the vegetables are browning add the garlic. Once the vegetables have reached a golden color add the tomato paste and cook for 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan using the white wine, being sure to scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom using a wooden spoon. Add the crushed tomatoes, spices, and bouquet garni. Add the veal shanks back to the pan and enough beef broth to come half way up the sides of the veal. Cover with a lid and cook for about 3 hours, turning occasionally and adding more stock, as necessary, to keep the veal partially submerged, until the veal shanks are very tender and the meat is falling off of the bone. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Meanwhile, make the gremolata by combining the crushed garlic with the lemon zest and the chopped parsley. Season with salt to taste.

Once the veal shanks are tender, remove the shanks from the cooking liquid and, when cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bone and shred into small pieces. Discard the bones and return the pulled meat to the sauce. Taste and reseason the sauce, if necessary.

Cook the pappardelle in a large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente.

Serve the pappardelle with the ragu and garnish with the gremolata and the shaved Parmesan

i had 3 sausages, a tablespoon of baked beans with marmite stirred in, a funsize twix and a pack of reduced fat crisps

After a rather trying day (see newspapers for details of BBC cuts), me and hendo decided to go to the pub, where we feasted on French onion soup and braised rabbit with celeriac mash for me, and steak and chips for him. 'Twas delicious.

And hendo amazed me by asking where the cod came from. When they said they didn't know, he said he wouldn't have it then. I felt v. proud. :oops: :D

Mogden said:
I iz a happy Mogden and I've no idea where to post this and couldn't think that it deserved a "I met Nigella" thread all of its own.

I'm actually jealous of her boobage. She outboobed me! :eek: That's never happened to me before. She gave an excellent talk. Poor love was shattered so I didn't really speak much other than to ask her to sign my shopping trolley as well as my book. I have photos too!
:cool:

*awaits photoshopped pic of me and Nigella* :D

I could never meet her actually. I would just embarass myself by being unable to lift my eyes from the boobage :( :oops:

sojourner said:
Let me know how that turns out cos I quite fancy making that

The red thai roast veg curry is absolutely delicious - make it at your earliest opportunity! The sauce is fab. I put quite a lot of thai basil in and that really seemed to make it. It took longer than the 30 mins in the recipe for my veggies to roast but that wasn't any particular hardship.

The recipe says to try the sauce with pumpkin and prawn which I will no doubt be doing next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom