Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Only trouble is i don't know where im going but if we get there we might get snowed into her house and she will have to feed us FOREVER! yay!

You fucking won't - the snow fall was pathetic, to be frank! :D

I'll leave you a cheese sandwich and some cake crumbs on the doorstep. :mad:

LOL you do make me laugh moose :D

tonight was a roast, but after last nights insane amount of food I missed breakfast and lunch today and am still over full :oops: was very nice though

Leftovers from lunch -
Quiches: Broc and stilton, bacon and cheddar and goats cheese and tomato.
Cakes: Lemon sponge sandwich, rocky road and carrot and cranberry muffins.

Went to my mum's for slow roast pork loin with gravy, cauli cheese, roast potatoes and parsnips and swede, with chocolate and walnut pudding AND vanilla cheesecake for afters. Nom nom. Where's the fat bastard smilie?

kids had jacket spuds with cheese, cooked by feyr jnr, and i had wine and a mars bar :)

i want to know what feyr jnr had done or broken to warrant such sucking up, but for now i am just happy i didnt have to cook :D

The boy is going to cook tomorrow so I can do homework... I've asked for a roast :D don't think I can teach him to make sheo's pork in a night :(

Beans on toast then :D

The boy is going to cook tomorrow so I can do homework... I've asked for a roast :D don't think I can teach him to make sheo's pork in a night :(

Beans on toast then :D

Get a slow cooker and even a fool like me can't go wrong. Throw meat in with stock and leave. 8 hours later enjoy tasty food. :)

i'm planning on doing sheos pork in the oven covered in foil and cooked on very low. i often roast a joint on gas 2 or 3 for hours on end so i'm sure it'd work.

excellent guilt tripping work there btw sheo, your planning ahead on the weekend for lunchboxes has shamed me into it :D

:D

Well I don't usually but my daughter said she was getting bored of the usual sandwiches...plus this has cost £3 (pork shoulders are cheap in Tesco atm) plus the coke and the onion etc....which is still cheaper than me buying ham or whatever!

Anyway - it'll defo work in the oven (I used to do it that way...very low, overnight)! I leave the fat on while it cooks, then remove it before I shred it. Then skim the fat off the liquor (actually I'm shit at doing that so I've just stuck it in the freezer for a bit and will scrape it off when it's hardened), sieve it (if you like) and reduce it till it gets thicker/tastier. You can either mix it right into the pork or keep it separately and just have a dollop of it on top. :cool:

Oh and Biddly - it's piss easy, so definitely IS one worth saving for your young man to make ;) (but prob for another time - just cos it does need hours to cook)

I've just had the first roll full for breakfast, btw :D

Tonight - we have cottage pie with broc and green beans and the lemon tarts for pudding (cos I ate two brownies last night instead :D ).

Aye you might struggle to get one today, but you can get a whole roast in mine as its oval. I got if from a car boot sale for a fiver. :)
Not sure I'd go for slow cooker roasties... I do like the idea in general though.

i'm planning on doing sheos pork in the oven covered in foil and cooked on very low. i often roast a joint on gas 2 or 3 for hours on end so i'm sure it'd work.

excellent guilt tripping work there btw sheo, your planning ahead on the weekend for lunchboxes has shamed me into it :D
Well I don't usually but my daughter said she was getting bored of the usual sandwiches...plus this has cost £3 (pork shoulders are cheap in Tesco atm) plus the coke and the onion etc....which is still cheaper than me buying ham or whatever!

Anyway - it'll defo work in the oven (I used to do it that way...very low, overnight)! I leave the fat on while it cooks, then remove it before I shred it. Then skim the fat off the liquor (actually I'm shit at doing that so I've just stuck it in the freezer for a bit and will scrape it off when it's hardened), sieve it (if you like) and reduce it till it gets thicker/tastier. You can either mix it right into the pork or keep it separately and just have a dollop of it on top. :cool:

Oh and Biddly - it's piss easy, so definitely IS one worth saving for your young man to make ;) (but prob for another time - just cos it does need hours to cook)
Could one of you two send me a recipe that would be good to use for a first timer? I reckon after a few goes it will be as easy as just bung this and that in, but I need instructions for first time.

I'm off on a course Sat and Sun, so thinking it might be a good thing to put on Sat morning for coming home Sat evening (if I can bear to leave the house with the oven still on!).

Since having some of Ms T's pulled pork and going to a place called Slows in Detroit... I think it might be up there with my favourite type of meat :oops:

I found a recipe a few years back but since then just stick everything in and you can't go wrong really!

Tight fitting lid or a few layers of tightly wrapped foil.

You could stick some water in too.

Then just a very low oven setting for the day....8-12 hours I reckon...think I used to do it at 100 degrees, possibly even lower. Infact yesterday I put it in the slow cooker on high for a couple of hours just to get it up to heat but then turned it down beyond the 'low' setting to 'warm' which is literally just supposed to keep it warm - just because I've found that even the low setting on my slow cooker is actually too hot for proper slow cooking!

ETA - This is what I put into yesterdays...

Will also be putting a pork shoulder in the slow cooker with a tin of coke and some other bits and pieces (thyme, bay, mustard powder, soy sauce, ketchup, onions, garlic and ginger)

Meant to add some cumin too but forgot.....but you can be flexible in what you add defo!

So would it work in a casserole dish then, or better in a roasting tin with foil?

I really need a recipe for the first time sheo... I'll have a google :D

Biddly there's a recipe here that looks good - one where you chuck the cooking liquid out and make a separate bbq sauce, which I've seen done in lots of other recipes (the reason I gave up looking for them in the end is because there are SO MANY variations).
I think it's probably one of those things you could do differently every time and slowly perfect over the years! :D

You could ask Ms T for her recipe if that was a particularly good one (and maybe the restaurant might even be happy to let you have their recipe too - worth emailing maybe?)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:82F8nZbe1e0J:www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/recipex/msg1108430524913.html+pulled-pork+recipe+thyme+bay+cola&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Back
Top Bottom