Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

i think i'm going to go for a mix of this recipe for the method (dry basted, steamed rather than stewed) and sheo's ingredients - coke for apple juice, def onion & mustard powder. might even see if i can order some liquid smoke, i'm a sucker for anything smokey.

Biddly there's a recipe here that looks good - one where you chuck the cooking liquid out and make a separate bbq sauce, which I've seen done in lots of other recipes (the reason I gave up looking for them in the end is because there are SO MANY variations).
I think it's probably one of those things you could do differently every time and slowly perfect over the years! :D

You could ask Ms T for her recipe if that was a particularly good one (and maybe the restaurant might even be happy to let you have their recipe too - worth emailing maybe?)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:82F8nZbe1e0J:www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/recipex/msg1108430524913.html+pulled-pork+recipe+thyme+bay+cola&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

I'd stick it in a casserole dish if you have one.
:D that's why I was asking - there are sooo may recipes out there. I think I'm most nervous about the amount of liquid and there being too much in there. I did ask MsT, but I think she might've forgot, and the restaurant we went to definitely BBQ-ed.

Your recipe says chuck everything in, bob's says for the meat not to touch the liquid :confused: :D

i think i'm going to go for a mix of this recipe for the method (dry basted, steamed rather than stewed) and sheo's ingredients - coke for apple juice, def onion & mustard powder. might even see if i can order some liquid smoke, i'm a sucker for anything smokey.

Well I use a can of coke however much meat I put in iyswim :hmm: so whether it's done in the oven or the slow cooker, either way it's not submerged at all - there's prob liquid coming a quarter to half way up the joint so it's kind of half steaming and half braising :D

Either will work Biddly - having the meat on a rack above the liquid but with it tightly wrapped, or having it sitting in the liquid....the long slow cooking will mean it falls apart either way. :cool:

Try it one way now - and then another next time! :cool:

Thinking about it, I don't have a roasting tin with a rack, so I can only do it one way :D

I might try the recipe bob posted up, in a big casserole dish, in the oven, with a few tweaks to spices etc :)

Just need a bbq sauce recipe now :D

No you don't! :mad: :D

That recipe does the same thing I do - so you turn your cooking liquor into your sauce and coat the pork with it. :cool:

I'm just having my second roll. :facepalm:

No you don't! :mad: :D

That recipe does the same thing I do - so you turn your cooking liquor into your sauce and coat the pork with it.

I'm just having my second roll. :facepalm:
So it does :oops:

Right, Thursday night I'm going shopping for pork stuff... my meal plan for this week is non-existent :D

That's true, but I feel lost without planning :( I'm slowly stocking up the freezer with meals though, so is easy enough to defrost a couple of portions of something.

Managed some curry and chapatis yesterday, but don't want to eat today now :rolleyes: :D

I'm guessing the pork won't freezer so well once cooked? (not that we won't be able to finish it!)

Actually - I have frozen it surprisingly successfully before! Not quite as nice as the first time round - but not bad (and that was just eating it on bread again so without reheating even)! It is quite a lot of meat to have to eat reasonably quickly otherwise :D

I chopped some of my joint off yesterday or it would have been too big to go in so I reckon I probably cooked about 1.2k's? A lot more of that is fat too....anyway, I've had two rolls so far and will be making 9 more (3 of us for 3 days) and I think I'd still have a fair bit leftover so will probably freeze some of what I have! And that's from a pretty small joint to start with!

one girls at a school camp,ones working after school at KFC,ones home with me so we went to KFC to have tea,greasy fucking shit,never again for me

Actually - I have frozen it surprisingly successfully before! Not quite as nice as the first time round - but not bad (and that was just eating it on bread again so without reheating even)! It is quite a lot of meat to have to eat reasonably quickly otherwise :D

I chopped some of my joint off yesterday or it would have been too big to go in so I reckon I probably cooked about 1.2k's? A lot more of that is fat too....anyway, I've had two rolls so far and will be making 9 more (3 of us for 3 days) and I think I'd still have a fair bit leftover so will probably freeze some of what I have! And that's from a pretty small joint to start with!
That's good to know, I'll bung some in the freezer once it's cooked then (do you freeze it post or pre shredding). My boy likes his meat so should be quite a bit of it eaten, and might try my hand at crackling :D

*back to google*

It's jacket spud night again.
I think it will be served with some of yesterday's leftover roast beef and salad.
The salad may include some of our home pickled shallots - we cracked the first jar yesterday and they are delicious if a little firey from the whole chillis in the jar.

I haven't a fookin clue for today. Peeps, what's the dish that for you gives the optimal ratio of cost vs. benefit? Cost referring as much to faff/time as to actual moneys.

Hmmmmmmm. I do have a jar of pesto that needs eating. I have pasta. I have some veg. Hmmmmmm. More suggestions people?

Fuck noodles! I had them by the fucking truck-load as a student, can't take them anymore. Assuming of course that you're talking about instant noodles innacup? Noodles per se are fine with whatnot, but it's the whatnot I was asking about. Thanks for the suggestion tho - looks like I'll go with the pasta pesto veggie cheese thingie.

Well I don't and have never eaten them out of a cup, but as a skint meal, cooked on a hob, with veg stirred through and cheese and ham on top they're like proper comfort food :cool: But they will make you fat if you eat that all the time! :D

Lidl pesto is surprisingly alright for cheapness, they do green or red...get some parmesan or pecorino and you're laughing :cool:

I've got the pesto, pasta and veg already, that's what clinched it not having to go to the shops. Plus I'm well skint til 2mrw.

Biddly - freezing the pork - I do it post shredding, but after it's mixed in the sauce (you can kind of pack it together then).

Just me and the small girl tonight - beans on toast for her and oyster mushrooms on toast for me, with the other lemon tart to share for pudding.

Dunno, but after a week of the Norovirus everyone's finally feeling better and starving. Something with dauphinoise potatoes would be good, and lots of green veg.

Had omelette last night with ham, peas and oodles of cheese.
Was pretty good, seven eggs split three ways.

Don't know tonight yet, there must be stuff that needs eating.

home pickled shallots - we cracked the first jar yesterday and they are delicious if a little firey from the whole chillis in the jar.

*slavering* I still have a jar of these my dad made for me about 3 years ago - haven't dared try them yet :eek::D

Tonight we shall be mostly dining on Egyptian lentil soup, as it's called. It's just lentil soup with some cumin, coriander and lemon juice in it :) Might make some croutons though - never done em and for some reason I just fancy some

Nice bottle of Shiraz to glug too cos some nice ex tenant dropped in and gave me two bottles :cool:

Dunno, but after a week of the Norovirus everyone's finally feeling better and starving. Something with dauphinoise potatoes would be good, and lots of green veg.

Ooo deary ME ringo! That's not good! Your spuds sound just the job.

I keep meaning to make them, but whenever I've had em in a restaurant they're quite clumpy and squareish, and all the recipes I've read ask for them to be sliced really thinly. How do you do them?

Back
Top Bottom