Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Custard tarts went a bit wrong cos we didn't roll them out thin enough (and Jamie Olivers plan to just randomly stretch them with your fingers was not actually easy or, therefore, time saving) so I had to pick a big wodge of uncooked pastry out of the middle of each once the outsde was done, in order to fit the filling in....plus the timings all took twice as long....but once they were done, they were LOVELY! We had one each last night and have three left today for daughter, myself and my bezzer's who's popping over later. :cool:
The piri piri chicken wasn't all that either cos it doesn't get long enough to cook in the oven so the marinade stays quite harsh, iykwim :hmm: but I stuck the marinade back in a pot and froze it, cos now that it's started cooking out a bit, I reckon it'll be a lot better next time.

Tonight we are using the leftover pastry and the last chicken thigh to make small chicken pot pies with carrots and broccoli.

I've heard about Jamie's '30 minute meals' taking longer than they should, good job they were worth the effort eh?

Tofu stir fry and noodles tonight.

I invented a veg, sausage and potato roasted stew thing and it turned out to be a proper winner. I may even have to invent a name for it.

450g white & sweet potatoes – halved
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 sticks celery, diced
I carrot, diced
1 pepper, diced
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin cannellini beans
1 tsp caster sugar
Salt and pepper
Handful chopped fresh thyme and parsley
6 vegetarian hot dogs

Boil the potatoes for 2 mins.
Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
Fry the onion in the oil until soft. Add the garlic, celery and carrot, then sweat until soft.
Add the peppers and sweat until soft.
Add the tomatoes, beans, sugar and herbs.
Season with salt and pepper.
Boil the hot dogs for 2 mins and slice into chunks, then mix with the veg
Put the vegetable mix into a large oven proof casserole dish.
Slice the potatoes 5mm thick and place over the mixture in an overlapping layer.
Brush with olive oil and place in oven for 45 mins.

Ringo, stew thingy sounds lush. :cool:

We're having tuna mayo jacket potatoes again. I'm still failing to get the skins crispy in the combi-microwave but I'm suspicious that I'm using the wrong kind of potatoes. I might try with sweet ones next time.

off to edinburgh today, and going to have some yummy japanese food for tea... mmmm probably a big soup bowl with coconut milk, tofu and lots of noodles (dunno what you call them :hmm: ) yumyumyum...

butternut squash and pinto bean stew with bulghar wheat and served with steamed brocolli. was good cos I was starving! but not totally awesome.

Daughters veggie friend is coming over for dinner, so pasta with some of the roasted tomato sauce I made with the last huge haul of garden tomatoes and cheese. I might put a bit of squid in to mine and my son's though. :hmm:
Grapes, fromage frais and maybe a bit of cake (I have one unopened crappy Madeira cake left from the castle project :hmm: - perfect for palming off on small children :D - although I'll have to check that it is actually veggie :oops: ) for pudding.

Tonight, it's a fajita type evening. Possibly shifting to burritos with the addition of some beans.

Pork tenderloin in achiote, some chipotle salsa, cheese and hot pepper sauce.

Salmon with a chilli and ginger dressing.
and thanks to Yu_Gi_Oh's post above we shall be having couscous with it
(cheers Yu_Gi_Oh, I'd been pondering what to have with it!)

Hooray, BoatieBird, cous cous for all! :cool:

(My veg aren't roasting in my stupid combi microwave, they're just getting slightly warm :mad:)

Back
Top Bottom