Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I cooked a giant pot of chilli over the weekend - over 3 kilos of meat (pork mince, bacon, braising steak, beef mince) - so hopefully that's a couple of meals taken care of. I think I might have struck on my favourite dried chilli combo now - D'arbol, guajillo and chipotle, along with some fresh serrano. Made salsas last night too and generally filled the fridge up, good and proper.

I still cracked and ended up buying one of M&S's half price chickens yesterday mind. Went in to buy muffins for breakfast and couldn't believe the scenes of warring pensioners, fighing around the packed end row of chickens. Somewhat inevitably I found myself being strangely drawn to the scrum too, emerging with an oversized fowl.

So tonight's Monday roast again. I cooked the chicken last night, so only spuds and accompaniments to do. Should mean that I can get away with making stock out of the bones tonight, as long as I get out of here early enough tonight

I got some chipotle on holiday, we were in the supermarket and it was cheap... opened the pack yesterday and they smell bloody gorgeous! Need to have a think what to use them in where the flavour won't be lost.

I slow cooked a huge piece of brisket yesterday, it was lovely but a little fatty.
I should have untied it, removed the visable fat, and re-tied it, but I couldn't find any string. You wouldn't believe the amount of string and sellotape BoatieBoy gets through, we're always running out of both.
Anyway, we've got loads of beef left and also some veggie curry from Saturday so dinner tonight will be an amalgamation of the 2, served with rice.

Either baked sweet potatoes or sweet potato wedges with beans, cheese, drinkers remorse and Celebrity Coach Trip.

another round of aubergine and chickpea stew with quinoa. sometime I curse myself for cooking big batches :( I guess I *could* leave it in the freezer for a bit longer.... hmmmm, fancy the look of the HTW barley pilaf from Saturday's guardian too.

Pub roast yesterday for lunch, then veggie Lincolnshire sausage and egg sarnies for tea.

Tonight will be a warming stew of some kind. Maybe tomato and lentil or root vegetable with dumplings, or Spanish Marmitako.

A sort of deconstructed cottage pie with some bolognese from the slow cooker, mash and broccoli. plums for pud if theyre ripe, apples if not
i'll also make a real cottage pie to put in the freezer along with a couple of double portions of bolognese which can be eaten as is or made into chilli con carne as desired :D

yesterday i made a paprika chicken stew in the slow cooker and it attracted a local cat who came into our house and licked himself on our new rug! :mad:

It's bloody freezing out today so it has prompted a veggie cottage pie & various roast vegetables plus plenty of gravy. brrr.

Beef stir fry. Made with chuck steak, which I was dubious about but it was ok. A jar of Teryaki sauce and asda's scrummy edamame bean stiry fry veg and noodles - yummy.

Bangers and spud+carrot mash with onion gravy. And the same yesterday (not leftovers). We forgot about national sausage week and are making up for it.

That was lush, had all sorts of different curries, veggie and meat, and caught up with two old mates :)

and now I really want some berbere spice mix to experiment with!

Back
Top Bottom