Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

oh right! d'oh, i wasn't actually insulted though. i just like the turn of phrase, you gawping moonfaced premature-ejaculator.

What a fucknut... i picked up some cheapy pudding moulds in Sainsburys, got home and what I thought was a pack of dried dates is stem ginger :facepalm:

oh no - pudding fail :(

Tonight's tea will be jacket spud with tuna. Definitely no cottage cheese, I've decided cottage cheese can fuck right off :mad:

BoatieBird, tuna and baked potatoes are the best!

After last night, where I managed to burn the fuck out of a sausage and tomato pasta sauce, I will be attempting to redeem myself by making sausage and mash and veg and gravy.

Wuli Wuli - Camberwell

This place rocks!
And I'm glad I don't have to travel all the way into Soho for a decent Chinese.

Menu in Wuli Wuli is split in two.
First part is generic stuff you can get in every take-away.

But 3 pages in, you get to the 'Chinese menu' and this is the real treat. The food is what you expect from Scezhuan cooking. Very rich flavours, spicy at times, and lots of pickled vegetables.
We opted for the aubergine and minced pork and the pork belly hot pot with preserved veg plus 4 portions of egg-fried rice.
Both dishes were ultimately satisfying and reminded me of my mum's cooking.
We were really impressed.

Afterwards, we spoke with the owner. She was sweet and explained the reason she opted for a Scezhuan menu was that it's her favourite type of Chinese cuisine (labour of love).
Unfortunately, it isn't too popular in Camberwell (I suppose pig ears and entrails and any dish with the word 'saliva' doesn't sound the most appetising!).

The bill came to £21 in the end.
Pretty good for Sunday lunch...

I recommend

Have you copied and pasted that from a review site?

Nope.
Just real excited about a decent Chinese eatery in this area.
Their competition is Noodels (right spelling!?) and Lamoon (very average menu that's saved by the Laksa dish).
I know Wuli Wuli has only been opened for 5 weeks but business is so slow.
They could easily pick things up by selling sweet sour pork and special fried rice - but that would be such a waste :(

Cottage cheese is fine if you fancy cottage cheese.
But if you really fancy cheese (and can't have it), then the cottage variety really isn't the same :(

This is true. I don't really view cottage cheese as cheese, if you see what I mean. It's more a kind of creamy pate.

oh no - pudding fail :(
the boy brought home dates... we had pudding yesterday. They were ok, will make again as I've got the moulds now, but not as syrupy as I thought they would be.

Tonight I'm out for mexican I think... should be interesting without cheese or sour cream. I wonder if I can smuggle in some goats cheese? :hmm: :D

Wuli Wuli - Camberwell

This place rocks!

But 3 pages in, you get to the 'Chinese menu' and this is the real treat. The food is what you expect from Scezhuan cooking. Very rich flavours, spicy at times, and lots of pickled vegetables.
We opted for the aubergine and minced pork and the pork belly hot pot with preserved veg plus 4 portions of egg-fried rice.

Afterwards, we spoke with the owner. She was sweet and explained the reason she opted for a Scezhuan menu was that it's her favourite type of Chinese cuisine (labour of love).
Unfortunately, it isn't too popular in Camberwell (I suppose pig ears and entrails and any dish with the word 'saliva' doesn't sound the most appetising!).

I recommend

I'd heard this was good if you go for the Chinese menu - is it in English though or do you need to speak Mandarin? Will definitely be trying it out soon - although thanks to Fuchsia Dunlop I can make great Sichuan food at home now.

Nope.
Just real excited about a decent Chinese eatery in this area.
Their competition is Noodels (right spelling!?) and Lamoon (very average menu that's saved by the Laksa dish).
I know Wuli Wuli has only been opened for 5 weeks but business is so slow.
They could easily pick things up by selling sweet sour pork and special fried rice - but that would be such a waste :(

Have you been to Silk Road? I really recommend it for Uighur food. They don't do a "standard" Chinese menu at all.

I'd heard this was good if you go for the Chinese menu - is it in English though or do you need to speak Mandarin? Will definitely be trying it out soon - although thanks to Fuchsia Dunlop I can make great Sichuan food at home now.

It's in English.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough Chinese locals (except wifey and I) eating there (ETA - we were the only ones in there!). This will probably mean they'll tweak the menu in future for more heads.
The majority of the Camberwell local prefer the generic stuff at the 'Noodel' bar.

Fuscsia Dunlop? I not heard of her and googled her name.
I may just buy her book!

Have you been to Silk Road? I really recommend it for Uighur food. They don't do a "standard" Chinese menu at all.

Oh my! This cultural food looks amazing!
Thanks for this. It's right up me street. Never been in there and defo check it out this w/end!

the boy brought home dates... we had pudding yesterday. They were ok, will make again as I've got the moulds now, but not as syrupy as I thought they would be.

I'm glad you thought they were ok (ish). You could always put more syrup in the bottom of the mould (or on the top after they're cooked)
And owning pudding moulds is a great excuse for making more puddings

Wuli Wuli - Camberwell

This place rocks!

I recommend

Cheers, looks good. Dunno what the veggie side will be likwe but my other half would love all those dishes.

I'm glad you thought they were ok (ish). You could always put more syrup in the bottom of the mould (or on the top after they're cooked)
And owning pudding moulds is a great excuse for making more puddings
With no dairy at the mo I couldn't have cream or ice cream with them, so that might've added to my only ok rating ;)

I am really loving my new slow cooker atm. Rabbit stew last night was divine and I've also discovered it's great for making chicken stock. I bunged a leftover chicken carcass in there last night with a few veggies and left it on for 12 hours and the resulting stock is lovely.

I am cooking a honey & mustard chicken thighs & parsnip one pot to be served with mash, it's gonna be well lush.

I am really loving my new slow cooker atm. Rabbit stew last night was divine and I've also discovered it's great for making chicken stock. I bunged a leftover chicken carcass in there last night with a few veggies and left it on for 12 hours and the resulting stock is lovely.
I'm a convert to slow cookers too. Wouldn't be without it now - it's great for coming home to after a day spent in the great outdoors (or work) :)

Back
Top Bottom