Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

last night was a butternut squash and sage risotto, but tonight I only know that there will be some kind of chocolate cake as I'm making that, and the main event is being cooked by my mate round the corner. there will also very likely be some fine ales and wines...

Something with spuds, as I think it's an idea to get them out of the ground now the tops have almost died off, and store them in stacking wooden boxes (son's old toyboxes).

Yesterday we had a roast at my Mums - she gave us some pretend chicken thing which was odd, some quorn meatballs which were nice but a bit wrong and some great roast veg. The potatoes were ready made frozen - never had them before, an interesting novelty. Can't imagine ever buying them though, it's not hard to roast a spud.

For tea we had penne al'arrabiata with a bit too much Darth Vader for the littlun but she did well and ate it.

Dunno about tonight. I have a cauliflower and plenty of time to look at recipes and cook it, a rare treat.

Jacket spud with cottage cheese.
I'm getting a bit fed up with this very low fat diet :(
Although the 'no-fat' sticky toffee pudding I made yesterday was a triumph :)

Last night was shrimp and black eyed bean patties (acaraje) with rice, dried shrimp and tomato sauce and remains of Saturday's feijoada.

Today I've been mushrooming and got a shitload of porcini, so tonight it's probably going to be mushroom risotto - or soup if I can persuade the man to go low fat for once.

Something with spuds, as I think it's an idea to get them out of the ground now the tops have almost died off, and store them in stacking wooden boxes (son's old toyboxes).
It's been decided - fishy pie. There's a family song to go with this, set to a Haydn tune, which I started when I was a child and persuaded my sisters to sing with me too at my parents to demand Fish Pie from them, called unimaginatively "The Fishy Pie Song" :)

Have a yearning for something with bacon.
Double yum - I like it with broad beans and pesto too. Simple, cheap and fast :D

starting a week of oven dinners that can be cooked and washed up by someone else :hmm:
chicken kiev with potatoes, broccoli and carrots.

Stirfried Tuscan Kale - grown in Norfoilk
shoyu from Japan
tahini from Greece
Needs something sweet - Sharwood's mango didn't quite hit the spot ...

A one pot bedsit carbonara special. It wasn't too bad really, despite this lousy electric hotplate thing's best/worst candle powered efforts.

I was doing well with a hearty lentil stew with couscous and loads of vegetables. Then I kind of went and ruined it with a giant bar of chocolate for desert. It was dark chocolate though and that's meant to be kind of good for you, right? Probably not 100g though....:oops::(

100g of dark chocolate per day can be positively benficial :)

In an experiment that must be close to the heart of all ‘chocoholics’, Taubert et al. (2003) fed 100 g of dark chocolate each day for 14 days to a group of elderly people with high blood pressure, whose blood pressure was observed to fall. The same effect was not noted when they were switched to white chocolate.

Jacket spud with cottage cheese.
I'm getting a bit fed up with this very low fat diet :(
Although the 'no-fat' sticky toffee pudding I made yesterday was a triumph :)

Are you sure it's not just the baked spuds with cottage cheese that you're getting sick of? :D

The pudding sounds goooooood though! Recipe! :cool:

It was going to be me and the small girl tonight, so would've been beans on toast with a cheese slice on top, but she's been invited to a friends after school now, so I might just have some soup. :hmm:

You may have a point about the cottage cheese Sheo, I must think of some alternatives!

Recipe for the puds here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3070/guiltfree-sticky-toffee-puds

I'm not sure about 'guilt free' though. They are fat free but they've got loads of maple syrup in them. :hmm:

Not sure what to have for tea tonight, I get in about 6.40 and we've got parent's evening at 7.20 so something quick - not a jacket spud with cottage cheese though!

I'm going to have a big fat veggie roast - big yorkshire pud with roast spuds, carrots, cauliflower cheese and some sort of greenery all smothered in gravy. Nom.

Before I left for uni I put a big fat rolled shoulder of lamb in the slow cooker on a bed of root veg. If it works it'll be nomtastic.

Back
Top Bottom