Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Course 1 was French-style goat's cheese I've been keeping at room temperature for a week, with some low GI seeded bread I bought at a farmer's market.

Washed down with Monsieur Chenet's tasty Merlot. How I ever got so hooked on New World wines is beyond me...

Anyone who fancies a small joint of pork belly to collect from Brixton is welcome - needs cooking tonight mind.

If you don't get any takers why don't you salt it? I just did this with some pork belly a few weeks ago, got a brilliant recipe online. It's really nice and flavours just about everything I cook at the moment :) If you want it, I'll post it up.

ETA - I'll just post it up in case anyone else is inspired.... from The Splendid Table

Makes 2 1/2 pounds/ 1.2 Kg

* 10 1/2 ounces sea salt / 300 g
* 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar / 60 g
* 8 juniper berries, crushed
* 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, crushed
* 2 fresh bay leaves, torn
* 1/2 teaspoon quatre épices
* 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork belly, with skin / 1.2 Kg

1. In a small bowl, mix the salt, sugar, juniper berries, peppercorns, bay leaves, and quatre épices. Rub all the surfaces of the pork belly with the mixture. Sprinkle a thin layer of the salt mixture in a glass dish, and place the pork belly on top, skin side up. Sprinkle the pork with a little more of the salt mixture, setting aside any that remains. Cover the pork with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 days

2. Remove the pork from the refrigerator and pour off and discard any liquid in the dish. Turn the pork over and rub with the remaining salt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for another 2 days.

3. Rinse all the salt mixture off the pork and dry well with paper towels. Wrap the pork in cheesecloth and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

TIP: You can slice the belly thinly and fry the slices like bacon, or use it for flavoring, as you would side bacon, for a salty pork taste without the flavor of smoke. Taste a slice of salt pork before using it to determine just how salty it is. If you want to reduce the salt, soak it in water for a few hours, changing the water regularly, or blanch it in boiling water for a few minutes.

Note: Quatre épices is a French seasoning mix that varies according to the whim of the producer. Commonly it is a mix of white pepper, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger, but cinnamon and allspice may also be included. Although it does not have the same flavor, ground allspice can be substituted.

If you don't get any takers why don't you salt it? I just did this with some pork belly a few weeks ago, got a brilliant recipe online. It's really nice and flavours just about everything I cook at the moment :) If you want it, I'll post it up.

Go ahead please - that'd be great. I loves salt pork, but it's a bit of an annual Christmas treat from a butcher if I'm honest. Never even considered making it at home.

ETA: Nice timing - thanks!

Go ahead please - that'd be great. I loves salt pork, but it's a bit of an annual Christmas treat from a butcher if I'm honest. Never even considered making it at home.

It's all above :) I don't know if that's the same as what you get from your butcher but I really like it.

I have no idea really if it's the same thing, but I doubt it's that far off. I tend to get it at a post christmas meal of cold slices of top roast meats and various buffet items. It's a bloody lovely moistener and accompaniment to turkey fwiw

Mmmm, Christmas.

I tend to put the salt pork in pots of beans and use it as seasoning. It's good in rice and peas too.

I am determined to convince my husband that we should eat dinner at Pizza Hut in the Confucian temple district and then wander around the night market. I monumentally fucked up dinner last night, it was inedible and I don't feel like cooking tonight when the pain of yesterday is still raw. :D

In order to help influence my Pizza Hut mission I have not bought any food.

what's the tramps buffet ou?

that's shit about the gas tarannau.

for the first time in weeks i feel like doing some actual cooking. no time to defrost a chicken today, but i have various other bits in the freezer. might do a lamb neck stewy thing.

I'm not sure if the boy will want some non spicy grub when he brings his tender tummy back from the commonwealth games :D - if so then bolognese sauce with giant pasta shells baked with mozerella on top.
If he's not back in time / doesnt want feeding and I have to cook for just me again then it'll be square spaghetti with pesto or with the one tiny augergine I grew or summink, not really sure....

Probably chicken pie if I can get it together, with some really lovely little spuds I bought in the market. I may well bung some tomatoes in oven too. Always reminds me of my gran. Tomatoes sliced in half and drizzled with a little bit of oil and bunged in a hot oven till they've almost collapsed. Broad beans would be nice with that little lot and all.

Feijoada! Thanks to Atomic Suplex for putting the idea in my head...

It's bubbling away at the moment but I think, due to excitement at discovering an even better Brazilian butcher today (Rio Grande Meat Market :D on Willesden High Rd), I might have got the meat:beans ratio weighted too heavily in favour of the meat :oops: It's got carne seca (Brazilian salt beef), stewing beef, linguica (Brazilian sausage), chourico (Brazilian chorizo), beef bone and salt pork. No trotters or snouts cos they didn't have any.

We're having it with shredded kale stir-fried with garlic and plain white rice. Was going to make acaraje too but peeled half the black-eyed peas and could not be arsed to do any more. So that's dinner tomorrow.

We'll be dead by Monday.

Corned beef n lentil curry with mash followed by a bag of fizzy cola laces and a packet of strawberry fruitellas and a mug of green tea.

A touch studenty perhaps but I'm having chilli con carne. The glowing review of the BBC good food recipe has persuaded me to revisit this meal which never lives up to expectations

My interest is piqued by the idea of curry with mash. Is it not a bit on the claggy side?

I had liver and onions with chips and garden peas. Should have had that with mash, now as I think of it.

dfm... chilli con carne isn't very studenty imo, pasta and jar sauce is ;) a decent chilli takes time and care... low and slow is the key. Definitely worth revisiting.

A root veg, leek and veggie sausage casserole done in the le creuset with slices of garlic baguette laid on the top and browned. Roasted pineapple with creme fraiche. It's autumn :cool:

Actually I've decided on a berry crumble, as the pineapple will keep, and the berries are fresh off the bush.

Roast beef, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, roast parsnips, gravy, carrots, broccoli, horseradish sauce and apple crumble and cream for pudding.

I'm stuffed just thinking about it :cool:

Back
Top Bottom