Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I had leftover roast lamb in a mammoth sandwich with loads of cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, olives and feta cheese.
I also had a Pernod and ice and pretended it was an Ouzo.

Was going to have coconut dhal and naan bread, but I've just had mine for breakfast :facepalm: so will just do that for the kids and a veggie burger with some salad/mayo/a cheese slice in pitta bread for me.

Chocolate and banana cake and pears for pudding.

Was going to be a lamb casserole but Mr. QofG's is having a big lunch out and doesn't want a 'big' dinner so it will be a Weight Watchers quiche with potatoes, beetroot and peas for me and cheese on toast for him!

Home made Fejoada.
Made a massive, massive pot.
Huge.

G'wan then, what was in the pot

Fejoada's one of those things where you add an unholy number of ingredients. I've never quite settled on what should go in there - The Brazilians add all sort of porky things, salted meats, black chorizo, pigfoot, ears and many other bits. I've never really cook it enough to achieve any kind of consistency or real knowledge about the dish, not helped by the nice Brazilian folks down Whitecross Market selling a decent version

No idea what to cook tonight. Have the last of the year's courgette flowers and want to use them soon. Hard to see past stuffing them with some kind of cheese, coating in tempura, and deep frying the bastards

I quite fancy going a little Mexican tbh. Stuffed courgette flower tacos?

G'wan then, what was in the pot

Fejoada's one of those things where you add an unholy number of ingredients. I've never quite settled on what should go in there - The Brazilians add all sort of porky things, salted meats, black chorizo, pigfoot, ears and many other bits. I've never really cook it enough to achieve any kind of consistency or real knowledge about the dish, not helped by the nice Brazilian folks down Whitecross Market selling a decent version

No idea what to cook tonight. Have the last of the year's courgette flowers and want to use them soon. Hard to see past stuffing them with some kind of cheese, coating in tempura, and deep frying the bastards

I quite fancy going a little Mexican tbh. Stuffed courgette flower tacos?

Let me see, 8 thick cuts of smokey bacon, smoked Polish sausage, belly pork, and some stewing steak, half a packet of black beans, handful of black eye peas and barley.
Bay leafs, basil, about a pint of left over beef stock. 1/2 pint water.

I cheated and used the pressure cooker.
Blasted the steak and belly pork on high for 15 mins and then added the rest in.
Took about 1 hour 15 mins to cook.

Yeah you're right with the pigfoot and ears.
Some of my Brazilian friends suggested this.
But I think there's no need when you can get superior quality cuts of meats are so readily available.

Whitecross Market? That's way too far!
Have you been to the Brazilian place near Vauxhall?
http://www.eatingeast.co.uk/2009/09/17/where-to-get-portuguese-and-brazilian-groceries-in-london/

And where's your butcher? I've been trying to find a decent one for ages now...

Nice idea with the tempuara btw. I fucked it up the other day (did it with leeks and it was gross).

Baked spud, butter, cheese, beans, blackpepper, mayo, chilli sauce. Muchos beer and tunes after todays shitty day (tv broke this morning, gore-tex coat decided not to be waterproof any more, knocked a cable which turned out to be broken and brought down University's internal web infrastructure).

Dunno yet, either chicken breast stuffed with blue cheese, wrapped in bacon, served with salady things, or frozen pizza. Depends how knackered I am when I get in.

Let me see, 8 thick cuts of smokey bacon, smoked Polish sausage, belly pork, and some stewing steak, half a packet of black beans, handful of black eye peas and barley.
Bay leafs, basil, about a pint of left over beef stock. 1/2 pint water.

I cheated and used the pressure cooker.
Blasted the steak and belly pork on high for 15 mins and then added the rest in.
Took about 1 hour 15 mins to cook.

Yeah you're right with the pigfoot and ears.
Some of my Brazilian friends suggested this.
But I think there's no need when you can get superior quality cuts of meats are so readily available.

Whitecross Market? That's way too far!
Have you been to the Brazilian place near Vauxhall?
http://www.eatingeast.co.uk/2009/09/17/where-to-get-portuguese-and-brazilian-groceries-in-london/

And where's your butcher? I've been trying to find a decent one for ages now...

Nice idea with the tempuara btw. I fucked it up the other day (did it with leeks and it was gross).

Oh nom, well done. I love love love feijoada. I had the best I've ever had at a Brazilian place recently and they point blank refused to share their secrets with me :mad: They did obviously add vinegar though, and cumin.

I just had egg and chips. But now I'm definitely making feijoada at the weekend. We've got a Brazilian butcher not too far from here. Pig snouts aplenty.

Sainsbury's Taste the difference meal deal for ten quids.....lovely paella, mango torte, gryere & garlic flat bread washed down with a glass of wine ...lush :D

no idea :oops: I had this week planned so well but I think we have a mate coming over and I'm not sure I can be arsed to cook :oops:

Oh nom, well done. I love love love feijoada. I had the best I've ever had at a Brazilian place recently and they point blank refused to share their secrets with me :mad: They did obviously add vinegar though, and cumin.

I just had egg and chips. But now I'm definitely making feijoada at the weekend. We've got a Brazilian butcher not too far from here. Pig snouts aplenty.

Yeah that's it. Cummin...
Where is your Brazilian butcher? And are they expensive?

Just me and the boy and we're making a fish pie....basa, salmon, king prawns and peas in white sauce with a rosti topping, with some broccoli.

seeing as we all survived last nights will-i-die-fest of long leftover pork and reheated rice i'm celebrating by having tea totally out of the freezer tonight. fish, wedges, peas.

Chili con carne in the hope that it clears our blocked noses and makes our horrid colds go away.

I'm glad you survived you dodgy dinner last night, wayward bob!

Turkey Meatball Stew - currently finishing defrosting in the fridge. Found it a bit bland last week so am hoping the flavours may have developed a bit more but I maso add a bit of chilli to give it some oomph!

Yeah that's it. Cummin...
Where is your Brazilian butcher? And are they expensive?

It's Casa de Carnes Brasil on Harrow Road, the Harlesden end (though it's in a bit of a nowhere area that I'd say was more like Kensal Green). No, not expensive at all - I'd say it was quite cheap but I can't remember any of the prices I've paid to give you an example. There are tons of them around the Harlesden, Harrow Road, Kensal Green area if that's convenient for you? I only go to this one because it was recommended, so haven't tried any of the others. But they're really friendly and helpful in there too, which is great as I don't really know much about Brazilian food.

Sausage, chips and beans. Followed by butterscotch Angel Delight.
Kiddiwink grub at its best. And I've not even got any kids!

Prawn Laksa for someone who invited round for dinner only to find out they are a super fussy eater. So i hope they like it! :D

Back
Top Bottom