Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Nope (though can't remember what I am :oops: AB or B I think) - I adore vinegar, proper love it - bees absolutely hates it unless on chips :D

It's why I like salad cream and brown sauce too - as they're vinegar heavy :)

Nope (though can't remember what I am :oops: AB or B I think) - I adore vinegar, proper love it - bees absolutely hates it unless on chips :D

It's why I like salad cream and brown sauce too - as they're vinegar heavy :)

Fermented :D

I've done the chorizo stewy thing.

I fried sliced red onions and loads of garlic in olive oil and added some harissa paste, a tiny bit of cinnamon paste. smoked paprika, a tiny pinch of cayenne, some dried coriander and loads of ground black pepper and smoked sea salt. Then I added chopped mushrooms, chunks of chorizo and let that all cook together for a bit. Then I added some cooked new potatoes and stirred it all around to coat them in the spicy oil and then I chucked in loads of chopped red and yellow tomatoes (Cheery? They were fucking ecstatic!) put a lid on and left it for 15 minutes till the tomatoes had cooked.

It's very nice :)

Is there any left... I'm coming round to yours for tea! :)

Well, I was going to have soup and a roll but someone came round and treated us all to a Chinese takeaway. Result!!! :D

The kids had already had dinner earlier, but it didn't stop them scoffing most of the food!

Tonight was supposed to be steak and chips but middle boy is going for a sleepover. Small boy has been nagging me to cook fish so I'll make use of the fact that middle boy isn't here and cook fish tonight (fuck knows what or how, I don't do fish) and do the steak and chips tomorrow.

Late lunch/early dinner before the kids go to their dads....Balinese slow roast pork, with rice and steamed veg (broccoli and chinese leaf, since that's what I have in). Plums/pears/grapes for pudding.

Ooh, what's Balinese roast pork then? For some unknown reason I've now a daft vision of you hula hooping in the kitchen, willing the oven on.

It's a Rick Stein jobby....a boned shoulder covered with a bailnese spice paste (black pepper/nutmeg/cashews/sesame seeds/shallots/ginger/galangal/turmeric/lemongrass/garlic/chillies/shrimp paste/salt/oil/lime :D ) and the skin rubbed with a turmeric/oil mix.
I've not tried this one before but looking forward to it cos I've really, really liked every other recipe I've tried from that book. :cool:

I might try the hula hooping too, mind you.

Oh no, hang on......no, I won't.

Oh, is that from his Far Eastern Odyssey book or whatever it's called?

Slightly ashamed to say that I picked it up from the Book People a fair old while ago and, whilst I enjoyed a little scan of the recipes, I've done next to sod all with it. That recipe name rings a vague bell...

Yes! It should be a whole suckling pig, spit-roasted to be truly authentic :D so this is one he's adapted slightly. :D

I really like the book as I say - lots of nice stuff in there and recipes that work very well too - I could pretty happily eat something from it every day. :cool:

It's a really nice book to dip into - I remember that bit about the suckling pig now - but I think I've only indulged in one of the tamarind-heavy curries so far. Bit lazy really, but I guess I'm also prone to cooking a lot of food from that part of the world already. Weekends, when I've got more time, seem to go more Euro if anything.

Sounds bloody lovely though. May have to try and clear out some recipe time and have a proper gander again. Good recommendation Sheo.

Not planned food tonight, but have broad beans and runners, bok choi too. And some nice frozen whopper prawns if it comes to it. Will see what the market has and take from there .

and it smells of fish :(

slow roast shoulder of pork for us tonight, goose fat roasties, carrots and fractal cabbage. all organic.

fucking nom :)

fractal cabbage

Is that the stuff that looks like what you see when you take acid and try to sleep? It's beautiful!

of course I could google so I did and it is

I'm home alone so it's just coffee (Ethiopian Harrar) and brownies (chocolate fudge) from the Food Festival at the South Bank today :cool: nutritious

and it smells of fish :(

slow roast shoulder of pork for us tonight, goose fat roasties, carrots and fractal cabbage. all organic.

fucking nom :)

Do you mean Romanesque Cauliflower?

I'm not allowed to have that anymore because I regale my kids about Fibonacci and the Golden Section :D

Back
Top Bottom