Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

probably soup again, but this time I have the ingredients to make it myself (thank fuck) :)

going to make extra and freeze some too so I don't have to resort to cans again :oops:

I like some (esp several of the baxters ones) but this one (baxters pea and ham) made me nearly puke is was so rank :(

A nice bit of rump steak with homemade wedges (ordinary potato and sweet potato mixed) and salad.

For dessert, applecake and cream.

Cauliflower cheese, boiled new potatoes and steamed green beans.

Cauliflower cheese from Simon Hopkinsons' 'The Vegetarian Option'. A bit of work with the slow cooking in sections, draining and steeping and straining but worth it for the best cauliflower cheese I've ever eaten. One of the few recipes where I adhere to the 'strain and throw the solids away' part. In this case the onion, bay leaf and cloves, I used to just pick the inedible bits out 'cos I couldn't stand the thought of throwing away good food, but its worth it for the smooth, creamy sauce.

I can see why Hopkinson is so popular with other food writers, his enthusiasm is matched by his little tips which make the dish taste better, like draining the boiled cauliflower to get all the excess water out to avoid slushy, limpid florets.

my tea is taste a little funky. i want to throw it away, but i've spent 15 minutes cooking it and the soya mince smelt off despite
having 2 year left on it's sell by date.

plus it's the last bit of food in the house.

i'm too lazy to go to the supermarket just yet.

I just made about 4kg of spag bol. Waiting for the bread maker to ping and gonna have a bit with some bread and freeze the rest.

Seeing as we're doing pics...

59282_10150259628290472_884650471_14734465_4314563_n.jpg

:)

Panchetta Carbonara. Delicious even if I say so myself. *procedes to feel very fat but satisfied enough to ignore the washing up*

Whatever the ones in pitta are. Salad, pickled chilli things (which I ate even though I don't like them - more pissed than I realised) and garlic sauce. I ate about half of it and I can't remember what I did with the rest :confused: Might still be in the car I s'pose.

Tonight is a roast beef extravaganza

ate about half of it and I can't remember what I did with the rest :confused: Might still be in the car I s'pose.

:D It might in your bed.

Melanzane Parmigiana for us tonight, and if it stops raining, I'll go to the Italian ice cream factory for something for afters.

An M&S £10.00 deal - beef and ricotta rissoles, rosemary potatoes and chocolate mousse. May add a starter of taramasalata to it too.

Got some razor clams out of the freezer which were chewy as fuck the last time I cooked some (steamed, quickly) so going to try doing a clam corn chowder (with the last of my pathetic corn cobs) and see if cooking them for a little longer makes any difference :hmm: or whether it's just that it's a waste of time having them at all unless they're absolutely fresh.

Rasberry and white choc mini muffin for pudding.

I'm very jealous- I really want crumble but have no fruit for it! :D
We're having pea and panchetta risotto with salad leaves.

I'm very jealous- I really want crumble but have no fruit for it! :D
We're having pea and panchetta risotto with salad leaves.

funny you should say that as i'm also having blackberry, apple & walnut crumble (crumble made with flour, oats and ground almonds)

Back
Top Bottom