Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Pasta and Barilla's basil pasta sauce for dinner. I had an interview so I had to sprint home via the supermarket and felt vindicated in my lazy choice...

OMG boing! Do you have a recipe for your stew?

OMG boing! Do you have a recipe for your stew?

I just made a fairly simple stew of beef, onions, carrots, mushrooms, stock etc. Then after about 3 hours put a load of stilton in and leave to cook whilst you do the mash. It seemed like a good way to use up old ends of stilton I had lying about. And it tastes amazing.

Tortiglione with pancetta/tomato/onion/wine-soaked Porcini mushrooms/chilli. Fucking marvellous. The Girl had a load of the sauce, after, too, and nommed it. At this rate she'll have her first Jalfrezi way before The Boy, despite the 5 year age gap. :cool:

I found a recipe for the hotpot and it says it has to be in the oven for 1 and a half to 2 hrs :confused: Why?? Everything apart form the (thinly sliced) potatoes is already cooked.

thinly sliced potatoes take forever to cook, but you could speed it up by precooking for a while in a pan - my tartiflette has 5 mins frying the spuds, 10 mins steaming them in wine (you use stock/gravy at this point), 10 mins v hot oven, 10 mins medium oven, 10 mins oven off door shut, is always perfectly done.

It's in now but I'll bear that in mind for next time.
Assuming there is a next time - it might taste like shit.

i very highly recommend this recipe if anyone fancies a tartiflette, it's never failed me yet, tonight i did it for the first time with a reblochon (usually use crappy camembert) and it was bloody bloody gorgeous :cool:

not at all no :) also there's the issue of the remains of the bottle of wine that you're supposed to drink with it that invariably gets finished before it's done...

i know mine are younger than yours but i put their tea in the bin if they're rude about it (not stuff they genuinely don't like, they're allowed preferences).

They haven't really been rude. The middle boy just point blank refused to eat it. I told him I'm not cooking two different meals so he's said he'll do without. The youngest said he doesn't like the rosemary in it.

I found a recipe for the hotpot and it says it has to be in the oven for 1 and a half to 2 hrs :confused: Why?? Everything apart form the (thinly sliced) potatoes is already cooked.

When I cook hotpot the meat goes in all but raw, I just introduce it briefly to a frying pan for a bit of colour on the meat. Are you using cooked meat in yours?

When I cook hotpot the meat goes in all but raw, I just introduce it briefly to a frying pan for a bit of colour on the meat. Are you using cooked meat in yours?

Yeah, it was leftover lamb (did you know there's THIRTEEN threads on leftover lamb?) from the roast on Sunday. It was ok time wise actually - the potatoes didn't seem overcooked.

Mmmm I had a big bowl of stewed cow intestines at a very authentic chinese restaurant in the town, very tasty it was too (my GF nearly puked though) :D

They haven't really been rude. The middle boy just point blank refused to eat it. I told him I'm not cooking two different meals so he's said he'll do without. The youngest said he doesn't like the rosemary in it.

Hunger does wonders for the appetite, my 2 are the most unfussy kids ever (apart from me as a kid maybe) like father like son/daughter :D

Hunger does wonders for the appetite, my 2 are the most unfussy kids ever (apart from me as a kid maybe) like father like son/daughter :D

Nah, they were starving. The middle boy has made hmself beans on toast. He had that last night as well because he didn't like the pizza I'd made.

Nah, they were starving. The middle boy has made hmself beans on toast. He had that last night as well because he didn't like the pizza I'd made.

I'd say you have a choice of 2 options

1) You cook and if they dont eat it they do without (and that includes beans on toasts later)

or

2) You strike, cook for yourself, provide the kids with the facilities and ingredients and they cook for themselves, of course making sure that the ingredients provided will offer at least a reasonable diet for them. Cooking includes cleaning up the mess afterwards.

I'd say you have a choice of 2 options

1) You cook and if they dont eat it they do without (and that includes beans on toasts later)

or

2) You strike, cook for yourself, provide the kids with the facilities and ingredients and they cook for themselves, of course making sure that the ingredients provided will offer at least a reasonable diet for them. Cooking includes cleaning up the mess afterwards.

Anyone from here is more than welcome to come and stay for a week and try all of the above ;)

Back
Top Bottom