Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Ordered a curry, not had takeaway for ages and i'm way beyond making myself a decent meal this evening. Chicken Tiikka Karai and a nann. Will do rice at home when it rocks up :cool:

So much depends on the noodles themselves I find, for that sort of dish... for some reason Italian style pasta seems to be fairly consistent, but there's a big difference in quality between different brands of the various Asian style noodles (whether dried/fresh/vacuum packed).
I don't care enough to make my own noodles mind, but mediocre noodles can really take what would otherwise be a decent meal down to a boring offering.
I like the dried egg noodles but these were oily. Not for me!

Chicken and chorizo bake thing from the farmers market, carrots and mashed potatoes. When I designed this menu I hadn't realised that the bake thing already has spuds in it, so it was a bit potato heavy.

Chicken and chorizo bake thing from the farmers market, carrots and mashed potatoes. When I designed this menu I hadn't realised that the bake thing already has spuds in it, so it was a bit potato heavy.
There are worse things in the world (and even in the kitchen!) than ending up with double potato - I hope you enjoyed it, it sounds good - chicken and chorizo always a good pairing :)

There are worse things in the world (and even in the kitchen!) than ending up with double potato - I hope you enjoyed it, it sounds good - chicken and chorizo always a good pairing :)
I didn't think I liked chorizo which is why I haven't tried it before but it was good. If filling.

I didn't think I liked chorizo which is why I haven't tried it before but it was good. If filling.

There are different types of chorizo, so it's entirely possible that you've had different experiences with them and like one but not another.
Mexican chorizo is raw spiced meat and can release a huge amount of spiced fat when cooked (you can store that fat and use it for flavouring in other dishes, apparently using it in rice dishes is great) whereas Spanish one is a cured sausage that is dry - there are a lot of regional variations on the theme too in both countries, and it stands to reason that you might prefer a particular chorizo over another, in much the same way that most people tend to have a Lincolnshire/Cumberland preference in English bangers.
I tend to prefer Spanish chorizo because it doesn't release as much fat.

I had chicken, bacon and mushrooms with penne in a sauce made up of tomato purée, brandy, white wine, garlic and herb cream cheese, and a bit of pasta cooking water.
It was OK but not spectacular. (Which means a bit disappointing, I am a better cook than that - I think relying on the garlic and herbs in the cream cheese was a mistake, I won't get that again - just do my own thing with garlic and herbs, and use plain cream cheese if I want cream cheese in it).

Last edited:
Chinese fakeaway of some description - probably ought to cook some rice soon for the obligatory egg fried rice.
I have chicken, there are also prawns in the freezer which OH will probably want, cashews, mushrooms, peppers, onions, spring onions, also have some egg noodles.
Haven't decided the exact dishes yet, but it will involve those things.

Last night was this, with couscous
I was hoping for leftovers for lunch today, but every last morsel of it was eaten.

Eggs, chips and beans tonight.

Back
Top Bottom