Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Well you’re not. He is.

Regardless of any other factor, you were hungry and he had food on his plate.

I texted him during his break at work last night, I mean I am not ever going to get an apology or any acceptance of responsibility for things that have happened, but I logically put it to him that if he had time to cook for himself he could have just done a bit extra for me at the same time, and requested that he please cook something for me tonight when he cooks for himself as I am ill, which he has agreed to do.
I mean I shouldn't have to ask, but at least it looks like I am getting fried eggs and beans on toast tonight.

Doing tofu. It's not my favourite and I'm trying not deep fry anything at the moment, but OH likes it and I was in Wing Yip this week where it's really cheap compared to the supermarket.

Going to try a Szechean style recipe for it I found on then net. Also found green szechean peppers which I've not had before they're supposed to be even more numbing then red. :)

I'm making carrot and coriander soup for the first time, never had it before so hoping it's nice! Will have with a slice of leftover frittata for the protein, and hunks of home-baked wholemeal 8 seed bread.

Last of the fruit loaf and a brew, then probably some lush dark choc later.

I know loads of people really like carrot and coriander soup. It always seems a bit too sweet for my palate. Maybe you have a better recipe than ones I’ve tried sojourner . I’d be interested in your findings.

I know loads of people really like carrot and coriander soup. It always seems a bit too sweet for my palate. Maybe you have a better recipe than ones I’ve tried sojourner . I’d be interested in your findings.
I can't stand sweet soup. Luckily, I used 3 veg stock cubes (had no decent powder), a sprinkle of sea salt and a good grind of black pepper, and it was gorgeous! Slight smokiness in fact, prob from the ground coriander. I put a minced garlic clove in too, cos the BBC recipe didn't have any in it and that felt wrong 😄

Well impressed, will deffo be making that again.

Made up meal of a bake with sliced potatoes and aubergine, leftover lamb, feta and olives. The liquid bit was passata, stock and red wine with garlic, onions and some anchovies plus mint, thyme and oregano. Baked for an hour or so and really quite delicious for a bunch of random freezer/fridge/cupboard whatsits :thumbs:

Made up meal of a bake with sliced potatoes and aubergine, leftover lamb, feta and olives. The liquid bit was passata, stock and red wine with garlic, onions and some anchovies plus mint, thyme and oregano. Baked for an hour or so and really quite delicious for a bunch of random freezer/fridge/cupboard whatsits :thumbs:

Moussaka-adjacent! Sounds lush :)

Doing tofu. It's not my favourite and I'm trying not deep fry anything at the moment, but OH likes it and I was in Wing Yip this week where it's really cheap compared to the supermarket.

Going to try a Szechean style recipe for it I found on then net. Also found green szechean peppers which I've not had before they're supposed to be even more numbing then red. :)
I never used to be a big old fan of tofu, but these days I've learned that if I cut it to the size I want, put it between a few sheets of kitchen roll or clean tea towels, then squish it with a chopping board, weighed down with a heavy pot for 10 mins. I then splash it with a bit of Hendo's and light soy, coat it in cornflour and shallow fry til browned. It's a totally different beast. Chewy, crispy and has flavour.

Squish that tofu!

It would be mush. Which I know is a thing, but I've never cooked dishes like that. I think Mapu Tofu is in this style. I've got another pack so I should find out.

I never used to be a big old fan of tofu, but these days I've learned that if I cut it to the size I want, put it between a few sheets of kitchen roll or clean tea towels, then squish it with a chopping board, weighed down with a heavy pot for 10 mins. I then splash it with a bit of Hendo's and light soy, coat it in cornflour and shallow fry til browned. It's a totally different beast. Chewy, crispy and has flavour.

That's what I'd normally do. Ideally season the corn flour (or even better potato starch) and deep fry.

I made a disappointing cauliflower cheese yesterday. I cooked some pasta to mix with the leftovers, added cubes of smoked ham, more salt and some butter (because if in doubt add salt and/or butter is what my eldest would do) and put panko and and cheese on top (because crunchy cheese topping is always nice) and it's the oven browning.
Hopefully I have done enough to lift the so-so cauliflower cheese. If not we will be eating a disappointing dinner again tonight.

Decided on a high tea as it was dark and cold. Sandwiches of egg mayo, or cheese, or prawn and lettuce; English muffins (also hard to get here but available sometimes unlike crumpets which never are :( ) with jam or honey; spiced tea cakes; millionaires shortbread made by myself and daughter; two pots of tea. Result = all in bed by 7.30 :D

Back
Top Bottom