Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I've got a lot more energy this evening than I've had for the last week and have started thinking about tea now so looks like this bastard flu might be on its way out.
I didn't want to defrost anything major in case I was overestimating my appetite, but I do have some pancetta so if I feel hungry a bit later I'll do some pasta with an amatriciana style sauce - quick and easy standby which happens to be one of my favourite comfort foods.

Hoose Rice - made fried rice at home with an entire bunch of spring onions, but it was lush because I know how I like it. Also made chinese fried peanuts in the airfryer, slightly less oily than the actually properly fried type but tastes the same. So tonight, I’m pretending I’m in China.

I made a disappointing cauliflower cheese yesterday. I cooked some pasta to mix with the leftovers, added cubes of smoked ham, more salt and some butter (because if in doubt add salt and/or butter is what my eldest would do) and put panko and and cheese on top (because crunchy cheese topping is always nice) and it's the oven browning.
Hopefully I have done enough to lift the so-so cauliflower cheese. If not we will be eating a disappointing dinner again tonight.
I'm invested. How was it?

I’ve been poorly with a cold all weekend. Managed a sausage tray bake on Saturday afternoon but nothing else cooked.

Still feel like shit… I wish someone would come and cook me a lovely comforting meal. MrShakes offered me some if his 3 bean stew last night but it just didn’t appeal

I’ve been poorly with a cold all weekend. Managed a sausage tray bake on Saturday afternoon but nothing else cooked.

Still feel like shit… I wish someone would come and cook me a lovely comforting meal. MrShakes offered me some if his 3 bean stew last night but it just didn’t appeal

I know loads of people really like carrot and coriander soup. It always seems a bit too sweet for my palate. Maybe you have a better recipe than ones I’ve tried sojourner . I’d be interested in your findings.
I find adding a bit of ginger (mix of dried and fresh if I have both) can take the edge off that sweetness a bit, even if you don't add enough to make ginger one of the headlining flavours iyswim.

It is roast everything day it seems, we have made an effort to get in way more veg and stuff and then ate homemade meals out of the freezer cos it was easier. So we now have 5kg of ootatoes, 2kg carrots, 16 corn on the cob, 2kg sweet potatoes, a squash and then a pork shoulder in the pressure cooker that I had plans to do a Porchetta type dish with but well basically didn't. Onion gravy already in the freezer and the pork juices to make a sauce/gravy. Should end up with a load leftover for quick lunches or turning this into something else. May even bung a chicken in to roast while we have the oven on as if I am using it then its going to be stuffed. That should make a lot of meals with the extra bits leftover and help finish the salad stuff off plus produce bones for future stock.

It is roast everything day it seems, we have made an effort to get in way more veg and stuff and then ate homemade meals out of the freezer cos it was easier. So we now have 5kg of ootatoes, 2kg carrots, 16 corn on the cob, 2kg sweet potatoes, a squash and then a pork shoulder in the pressure cooker that I had plans to do a Porchetta type dish with but well basically didn't. Onion gravy already in the freezer and the pork juices to make a sauce/gravy. Should end up with a load leftover for quick lunches or turning this into something else. May even bung a chicken in to roast while we have the oven on as if I am using it then its going to be stuffed. That should make a lot of meals with the extra bits leftover and help finish the salad stuff off plus produce bones for future stock.
Couldn't fit it all in, pressure cooker decided to fail after 2 hours so slow roasted alongside carrots, sweet potatoes and potatoes. Gravy was delicious with the added pork juice. SO just roasted a chicken to use in a chinese curry of her own composition thats always a winner, may need to get some rice on to have that frozen too whatever is left, alongside the frozen carcuss for future stock. Planning a lasagnes soon after finding a lot of spare pasta about the place.

Homemade pizza - although i have a broken tooth (Wisdom - has been needing to be removed for years I've just been putting it off so this is the push I needed, and have an appt tomorrow!) so will be trying to eat only on one side of my mouth! Toppings TBC, will probably make some cashew 'cheese' sauce, maybe dried/soaked mushrooms. Probably pineapple :D

Homemade pizza - although i have a broken tooth (Wisdom - has been needing to be removed for years I've just been putting it off so this is the push I needed, and have an appt tomorrow!) so will be trying to eat only on one side of my mouth! Toppings TBC, will probably make some cashew 'cheese' sauce, maybe dried/soaked mushrooms. Probably pineapple :D
Good luck wit the tooth!

Back
Top Bottom