Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I've got a bit of (cooked) Yorkshire pud leftover from yesterday's toad, so it will involve that in some way.

Microwave meal - Chilli Con Carne - followed by an Activia yogurt

I have been buying these Microwave meals from my local village shop and one thing that really irritates is that the film covers never come off properly, they split leaving a lower level still sealing the food in. The only option is to cut your way in with a sharp knife which makes a mess. It is like no one at the manufacturer ever tried to cook and eat these meals or doesn't care, either way "Grr"..

Microwave meal - Chilli Con Carne - followed by an Activia yogurt

I have been buying these Microwave meals from my local village shop and one thing that really irritates is that the film covers never come off properly, they split leaving a lower level still sealing the food in. The only option is to cut your way in with a sharp knife which makes a mess. It is like no one at the manufacturer ever tried to cook and eat these meals or doesn't care, either way "Grr"..

Ahhh I fucking hate film lids on things - some seem to come off relatively OK, but most are a complete shitshow.
Back in the day when we were both working (so less time for cooking/more income than our current state!) we used to like - I want to say it was the Tesco - luxury fish pie ready meals and the bloody lids on those were an absolute joke, you'd go to pull it off and it would tear into little shreds left around the edge - which iirc you then had to trim off and pick out of the (now hot) potato topping before putting it back in the oven lidless for the last 20 mins to brown the potato - aaaargggghhhh

I swear some of these products just aren't tested.

I recently bought some lemon mousse sort of yogurt pot things. They were intended to snap off one at a time but would they snap, no way, they just flexed. I had to cut them apart with a bread knife which was dangerous.

So pissed off was I that I wrote to Morrissons with a complaint. They replied but I don't think they fully understood. I haven't bought them or their choccy equivalent since. Might try and break one in the store sometime but I don't think Morrissons did anything about it. Grr again

I swear some of these products just aren't tested.

I recently bought some lemon mousse sort of yogurt pot things. They were intended to snap off one at a time but would they snap, no way, they just flexed. I had to cut them apart with a bread knife which was dangerous.

So pissed off was I that I wrote to Morrissons with a complaint. They replied but I don't think they fully understood. I haven't bought them or their choccy equivalent since. Might try and break one in the store sometime but I don't think Morrissons did anything about it. Grr again

Yeah am familiar with those and the similar chocolate ones, Morrison's might not have known what you are talking about but I recognised that description instantly!
(Cut them apart with my big kitchen scissors).

I've got a bit of (cooked) Yorkshire pud leftover from yesterday's toad, so it will involve that in some way.
This is one of them things you read and it really hits you the ways other people's lives can be totally alien to your own.

I've had leftover yorkshire pudding once in over thirty years, and that was on xmas day after snacking all morning and eating iirc one full big tray of yorkshire plus twelve mini ones as part of a massive roast between three people. And even then I had to force myself to leave it for the following day :oops:

This is one of them things you read and it really hits you the ways other people's lives can be totally alien to your own.

I've had leftover yorkshire pudding once in over thirty years, and that was on xmas day after snacking all morning and eating iirc one full big tray of yorkshire plus twelve mini ones as part of a massive roast between three people. And even then I had to force myself to leave it for the following day :oops:

I just physically can't eat that much, leftovers of all sorts of food sometimes happen here :D

Yeah I don't really ever get full. Luckily I don't really feel hunger either so it kind of balances out.

Anyway, I'm having a game pie from the butchers because my response to the season turning is always NEED PIE. Couple of massive tatties that only came out the ground about 90 minutes ago, microwaved coz I wanted jackets but cba turning the electric back on every ten minutes for that long. Raw runner beans coz again fuck making another trip out in the rain just to cook for longer.

If someone else turns the electric back on later I might try and quickly do some scrambled eggs for second tea.

Ended up eating nothing, this is what happens when I don't have a clear plan, driven by gastronimical desire, sorted out in advance.

Leftover Yorkshire pud and corned beef are in the freezer for use another time.

Mushroom, bacon and cream pasta (penne) for me tonight.
Will do a broccoli, spinach and cheese version for OH to have in the morning - that uses up some stuff that needs to be used up and he thinks mushrooms disagree with him

Left over home made chicken with home made vegetable sauce , plus fresh veg tortellini.

Superb ......(sauce always better when stood a while , and I added some local organic bacon - sliced up - to bulk it out)

Mussels in tomato and chorizo sauce and some yellowstickered tenderstem broccoli. Both a result of one of those disastrous shopping trips where you're hungry and the main things you wanted aren't in stock, so you just wander round buying ridiculous nonsense 🤷‍♂️ Runner beans coz I'd picked them before remembering the tsb. Feel like three potato-based meals in one day is too much and I should have some other carb but probably won't.

Now that sounds like the kind of salad I can get behind.
I'm going to have to make a lasagne pie salad now the idea's in my head

No tea again due to ridiculous amounts of food during the day including a top notch biryani. Also spent all my money buying a carpet which I have to work out how to get on the flight tomorrow :oops: Also bought spices and a roti pan so expecting more amazing teas when I'm back home.

In an effort to clear out the freezer, we are having baked potatoes with ratatouille and spring rolls :D
Almost-snap! :D

In an effort to clear out the random containers of veg scattered throughout my kitchen, I'm having baked potatoes with tomato salad, raw runner beans and garlicky stir-fried beetroot leaves

I had a baked potato for lunch too and I've just had some leek & tattie soup as a starter / first tea

Back
Top Bottom