Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Penne arrabiatta with black olives, and a fuckton of grated mature cheddar on top, romaine lettuce dressed with evoo and fig balsamic.

Slice of home-baked date and walnut loaf, buttered, with a decaff tea.

I know what it actually stands for, but every time I see "evoo" I briefly think it sounds like some sort of brand of really horrible cheap marg :D

We're having macaroni cheese and ham hock with salad. These haven't been made by us but it's a quick tea. I also have some cooked new potatoes in the freezer so as we have to have the big oven on we'll finish those off as roasties too and have them cold tomorrow with a mushroom omelette for lunch.

I'm working on it. Should be chili. Lots to use up, kilos of tomatoes and other bits. Plus then I've made a bulk of something before going back to work tomorrow. So I did a thing as well as the mowing that's actually useful. Sorted kitchen, front and back garden, washing, washing up, return on the split poly cover. Failed to setup the two extra ones but that's 256l of soil to move and the hugelkultur.

Edit wrote thus earlier and had bad reception. Done 12l of chili at a guess, 3kg beans 4kg tomatoes, 1kg mince, 1kg onion, 1.5kg peppers, no celery, homemade stock, huge amount of different chili peppers, maybe 8?. Also did 3kg of random chicken parts in the air frier so that's for salad or whatever people want. Got guac, salsa, 3 types of lettuce, wraps, rolls, cheddar, green and red jalapeños. Eldest is sleeping but should wake up to food. SO is hungover and pasty lunch is making way to chili, wraps whatever, got instant rice packs for who wants to use that.

Still wish I got the other raised beds up and planted things tho lol. Tho new mower is fantastic, just mulches everything on cylinder cut.

Steak, chips, green beans and mushroom pepper sauce. I had exactly the same thing yesterday, because the steak was too big for me and will last me two meals. I'm making the chips out of a baking potato and air frying them, the green beans and mushroom sauce is already made yesterday and in the fridge.

Steak, chips, green beans and mushroom pepper sauce. I had exactly the same thing yesterday, because the steak was too big for me and will last me two meals. I'm making the chips out of a baking potato and air frying them, the green beans and mushroom sauce is already made yesterday and in the fridge.

I had that problem(?? :D ) last time I did a rump steak, the thing was massive. Ended up slicing half of it and doing as a Thai style beef & chilli stir fry the next day, it worked out quite well because I do like beef in a stir fry but rarely buy it for that purpose (either tough cuts for stewing, or if I have a steak I tend to want a steak iykwim, so having one I couldn't manage all of so leftovers was a bit of a novelty!)

I had that problem(?? :D ) last time I did a rump steak, the thing was massive. Ended up slicing half of it and doing as a Thai style beef & chilli stir fry the next day, it worked out quite well because I do like beef in a stir fry but rarely buy it for that purpose (either tough cuts for stewing, or if I have a steak I tend to want a steak iykwim, so having one I couldn't manage all of so leftovers was a bit of a novelty!)
I just don't want that much meat anymore, I cooked the whole thing last month couldn't eat all of it.

I just don't want that much meat anymore, I cooked the whole thing last month couldn't eat all of it.

I certainly find I am more easily overfaced with any food in general as I get older!
I still love my grub, but I can't manage to overeat quite as spectacularly as I used to :D

I'm on annual leave but I've been a bit poorly and now have a cold so am blasting it with a Thai takeaway - corn cakes AND tom yum soup, jungle curry and sticky rice.

Liked for the food, not the poorly - hope you feel better soon!
OH came down with a cold yesterday and a very spicy seafood and rice one pot dish helped a bit with the congestiony headache, so I hope your Thai meal does similar for you :)

Liked for the food, not the poorly - hope you feel better soon!
OH came down with a cold yesterday and a very spicy seafood and rice one pot dish helped a bit with the congestiony headache, so I hope your Thai meal does similar for you :)
My default winter CBA meal of miso soup with gyoza and kale is good for this too, with lots of garlic and ginger and some chilli. Part meal, part steam inhalation.

My default winter CBA meal of miso soup with gyoza and kale is good for this too, with lots of garlic and ginger and some chilli. Part meal, part steam inhalation.
I have some gyoza in the freezer, I'll eat the whole bag. I LOVE gyoza and I constantly think about the gyoza stall in the food court in the Mall in TST, Hong Kong. They sold them in half and full dozens, I'd order a dozen, obvs. Now we can get frozen ones to make at home (instead of forking out £7 for four in Wagamama) I'm in heaven.

Was going to do scrambled eggs last night but then I realised I have no butter that isn't earmarked for cakes :facepalm: Ended up just eating a few slices of smoked cheddar and a piece of rye bread.

Going to do some boiled tatties and beetroot salad earlier today, so there's already food made when I get in later. Got some smoked peppered mackerel in the fridge that will make it a proper meal.

Back
Top Bottom