Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I haven't made the mistake of having a late lunch sarnie today, so should have the appetite to cook a bit later this evening - in which case, it will be spaghetti and meatballs/quornball version for OH to have in the morning as I had planned last night.

I think we have half a red pepper in the fridge, so I'll pop that in the tomato sauce, and some chilli flakes

Some pretty spicey keema. It was warm when I cooked a big batch and froze it. Our chilli plant is finally kicking out loads of chilli's so I've added an extra one to the portion I've pulled from the freezer.

Rice and fermented red cabbage. Need to get some more cheap Kilner jar knock offs so I can make more fermented cabbage in a single batch, I always forget to put the next lot on until we're down to the last jar and it's become a staple for weeknight meals.

I do like to keep a few tins of soup in, I don't eat it often but it doesn't half come in handy sometimes especially since it doesn't go off for decades if it's in tins.
That and instant noodles.
Baxters carrot and butterbean and tomato and lentil are absolute staple winter comfort/CBA fare for me. Add a sarnie and you're there.

Baxters carrot and butterbean and tomato and lentil are absolute staple winter comfort/CBA fare for me. Add a sarnie and you're there.

Oooh ta, I'll keep an eye out for those ones, carrot and butterbean particularly sounds right up my alley, I adore butter beans!
I like the Heinz lentil soup (although tins are convenient, it's not a patch on sojourner 's recipe for Egyptian Lentil Soup which is real comfort food and very easy to make!) but find their tomato soup way too sweet. And the price of some brands of soup these days, yegads! :eek:

We recently tried a Lidl one that we picked up during their Italy week - red and yellow pepper and chilli soup - not spicy (alas!) but very lovely deep flavour of peppers and chillies, quite enjoyed that.

I'm not feeling any inspiration yet, which doesn't bode well - OH got paid this morning and I can't really shop on a Friday so we're down to day before payday rations - got no veg in except onions, a head of celery, a tin of tomatoes, a bag of frozen peas, and frozen ginger and garlic; had pasta last night and not really fancying it again tonight; all the meat is frozen and the only thing that wouldn't need defrosting is the bag of cook from frozen beef and pork mince. Also my feet hurt and I don't want to be standing at the hob.

That whine probably should probably be on the first world problems thread tbh! :D

Celery and pea orzotto perhaps? Dunno. 🤷‍♂️

Chana sag with veggie samosas.

I've mentioned it before but I love following Meera Sodha's recipe because it contains one of my favourite descriptions: Folding the spinach in will seem like folding a duvet into a magical handbag, but it will soon wilt.

Chana sag with veggie samosas.

I've mentioned it before but I love following Meera Sodha's recipe because it contains one of my favourite descriptions: Folding the spinach in will seem like folding a duvet into a magical handbag, but it will soon wilt.

You just... fold it in?

I remembered I bought a pack of sausage rolls from the Greggs outlet (unsold items from yesterday at regular branches sold off cold and very cheap in an outlet shop) so I had one of those in the end, had one for lunch too so an extremely unhealthy day, food wise :oops: Put the other 2 in the freezer for another time :)

Back
Top Bottom