Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Last night I had wolf fish! Never had it before but the man at the fish restaurant highly recommended it and he was right, it was delicious.

Tonight I made a lovely big salad - cherry tomatoes, cucumber, romano peppers, mangetout, broccoli, red onion, avocado, olives, goat cheese pearls and chicken, with a wholegrain mustard dressing. It was awesome.

I need to get my grocery bills down dramatically, so I'm starting work on some of the many dried beans and pulses I've got in the cupboard. Got some black eyed beans in the slow cooker as I soaked to many for the weekends BBQ so they were already in the fridge. How long can you leave dried beans in water and salt? :hmm:

Need to think of some dishes that aren't curry/chilli. I mean I love both of those things, but we already eat a lot of them.

I need to get my grocery bills down dramatically, so I'm starting work on some of the many dried beans and pulses I've got in the cupboard. Got some black eyed beans in the slow cooker as I soaked to many for the weekends BBQ so they were already in the fridge. How long can you leave dried beans in water and salt? :hmm:

Need to think of some dishes that aren't curry/chilli. I mean I love both of those things, but we already eat a lot of them.

What other beans do you have?

Gigantes Plaki, Foul Mudammas, and Mexican refried beans are the first bean dishes that spring to mind.

Edit: Oh, and Ribollita. There's also a great Hairy Bikers sausage and butter bean casserole recipe that I do fairly regularly - let me know if you fancy any of those and I'll dig out the recipe links later!

What other beans do you have?

Gigantes Plaki, Foul Mudammas, and Mexican refried beans are the first bean dishes that spring to mind

I've definitely got some pinto & fava beans, so that's a good shout. I seem to have lots of adzuki beans, kidney beans and different types of lentil. Lots of barley and bulger wheat (not a beans I know). I need to actually go through there and actually see what else is lurking. :D

I was considering doing spaghetti & meatballs (quorn ball version for OH to have in the morning) but combination of late cheese salad sarnie lunch and tiredness is making the prospect of cooking seem unlikely at this point.

I'll probably have an early night and cook the above tomorrow afternoon instead.

Last edited:
Tin of M&S mushroom soup and a heavily buttered (M&S) cheese scone.

Would never order mushroom soup anywhere but this is so utterly delicious and 75p a can (cheaper than heinz) that I just constantly stock up to keep me in soupy deliciousness 'til the end of time.

Work manager asked today if we wanted anything from the shop. I said, what shop you going to? M&S. I said yeah, loads of things. Jokes of course, not a shopping list; but she bought me back a fresh cheese scone (90p each, not the cheaper packets).

So am having the above. Will send photo to manager. Feast at £1.65 (actual) and 75p (cost).

Budget-luxe..

Would never order mushroom soup anywhere but this is so utterly delicious and 75p a can (cheaper than heinz) that I just constantly stock up to keep me in soupy deliciousness 'til the end of time.

Work manager asked today if we wanted anything from the shop. I said, what shop you going to? M&S. I said yeah, loads of things. Jokes of course, not a shopping list; but she bought me back a fresh cheese scone (90p each, not the cheaper packets).

So am having the above. Will send photo to manager. Feast at £1.65 (actual) and 75p (cost).

Budget-luxe..

I do like to keep a few tins of soup in, I don't eat it often but it doesn't half come in handy sometimes especially since it doesn't go off for decades if it's in tins.
That and instant noodles.

Not seen these before, but just had them for tea. Fucking nice with some BBQ sauce and garlic bread

e3ce37f3-55e6-4e1d-b9b6-7534e0173959.jpeg

Salmon in the air fryer, new potatoes on single induction hob and asparagus in the microwave. Because there's no proper cooker at my mums.

I got a 2 tier microwave steamer in our local charity shop for a couple of quid (I only have a small microwave so 2 tiers is the max) - it includes a wide shallow bottom dish, a steamer basket, and a lid with a steam vent, you can use the dish without the basket or stacked together but I highly recommend something like that - you can do new potatoes with a tablespoon of water in the bottom dish for a few mins then pop the asparagus or similar veg in the steamer basket on top for the last bit of cooking time, saves a bit on multiple appliance use. Also good for steaming fish over potatoes etc.

Thanks, I'm going to get some of the mushrooms soups.

Back
Top Bottom