Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I really like this idea, would also be a great way to use up bags of carrots/head of celery etc. - do you sautée the ingredients first and then freeze, or just chop and freeze raw?
Done both, since I prep and cook at the same time. Maybe 1/3rd into what I'm cooking, 1/3rd that gets sautéed and 1/3 that I didn't have time for. If you get in a rhythm and have the TV on its surprisingly easy. Especially if you have two working on it. Which isn't always but is a boost. Can be cooking down tomatoes/whatever while waiting. I want to do 57 things at once to make it more productive lol.

Done both, since I prep and cook at the same time. Maybe 1/3rd into what I'm cooking, 1/3rd that gets sautéed and 1/3 that I didn't have time for. If you get in a rhythm and have the TV on its surprisingly easy. Especially if you have two working on it. Which isn't always but is a boost. Can be cooking down tomatoes/whatever while waiting. I want to do 57 things at once to make it more productive lol.

I really need a small (but regular dining table height) table or one of those mobile butcher's blocks/shelving type deals in the kitchen for doing this sort of chopping task, cos of joint and soft tissue problems I find after chopping for a bit standing at the counter (which are at a higher level than a table, which I could sit at - actually maybe it isn't the height of the surfaces so much as I cannot get as close to the kitchen counter when sitting due to cupboards/appliances preventing me from getting my knees under it?) I need to have a sit down for a bit!
Cannot do it at the dining table in the sitting room/dining room cos the cat is way too interested in what I am doing so I don't do food prep involving sharp knives there.

Last edited:
I really need a small (but regular dining table height) table or one of those mobile butcher's blocks/shelving type deals in the kitchen for doing this sort of chopping task, cos of joint and soft tissue problems I find after chopping for a bit standing at the counter (which are at a higher level than a table, which I could sit at - actually maybe it isn't the height of the surfaces so much as I cannot get as close to the kitchen counter when sitting due to cupboards/appliances preventing me from getting my knees under it?) I need to have a sit down for a bit!
Cannot do it at the dining table in the sitting room/dining room cos the cat is way too interested in what I am doing so I don't do food prep involving sharp knives there.
I looked into an island type thing but we simply don't have the room, they are surprinsgly affordable tho,m I always do my back as I am too tall, SO it is too short for her. After loads of prep but then I have morphine and will do 10+ meals at a go. Usually base type stew/curry/chili/ragu/etc which can have a pasta/rice/potato whatever added if I want.
SO does prep on the table off a large bean bag or on her lap with a tray or on chair so put legs wherever she wants, not how I would do it but works for her. Also I did a load outside when it was sunny cos well its sunny fuck being inside and the picnic table has loads of room for cutting boards and trays. She also uses a hand chopper thing you press down on and it spins a blade for some stuff, or blender with attachment for thin slices/mandoline and then less chopping involved. Chopper works great for when she does like 10 pasties especially so bulk root veg.

I looked into an island type thing but we simply don't have the room, they are surprinsgly affordable tho,m I always do my back as I am too tall, SO it is too short for her. After loads of prep but then I have morphine and will do 10+ meals at a go. Usually base type stew/curry/chili/ragu/etc which can have a pasta/rice/potato whatever added if I want.
SO does prep on the table off a large bean bag or on her lap with a tray or on chair so put legs wherever she wants, not how I would do it but works for her. Also I did a load outside when it was sunny cos well its sunny fuck being inside and the picnic table has loads of room for cutting boards and trays. She also uses a hand chopper thing you press down on and it spins a blade for some stuff, or blender with attachment for thin slices/mandoline and then less chopping involved. Chopper works great for when she does like 10 pasties especially so bulk root veg.

Yeah I don't have enough room for a proper island either, but I have a sort of unused gap which would suit a butcher's block/trolley or small dining table type deal - I do think that surprisingly affordable is probably very much relative though, and I am just keeping an eye out on freecycle for something that would fit that gap :D

Yeah I don't have enough room for a proper island either, but I have a sort of unused gap which would suit a butcher's block/trolley or small dining table type deal - I do think that surprisingly affordable is probably very much relative though, and I am just keeping an eye out on freecycle for something that would fit that gap :D
Fair enough £30 is still £30 too much if you don't have it. We had years of freecycle and donated furniture from people upgrading (lol what? our stuff still goes til its fucked, wrong colour is a confusing concept).

Check Olio also.

I just had a bowl of muesli with fruit and didn't really need that even as I had both pizza and ice cream this afternoon but needed something to take a pill with.

Fair enough £30 is still £30 too much if you don't have it. We had years of freecycle and donated furniture from people upgrading (lol what? our stuff still goes til its fucked, wrong colour is a confusing concept).

I got my dining table off Freecycle, lovely solid pine job, was an absolute fucking nightmare carrying it home (me and OH one of us on each end for over a mile then up 3 flights of stairs then having to take it apart in the hallway cos it wouldn't fit through the door assembled!) - also an Urban Signature Coffee Table(TM), a solid wood bedside cabinet, a paper shredder and various other bits and pieces :D

Check Olio also.

I just had a bowl of muesli with fruit and didn't really need that even as I had both pizza and ice cream this afternoon but needed something to take a pill with.

I do have an Olio account but didn't put the app back on my new phone, there never seemed to be that sort of thing on offer locally, it was mostly food items on the verge on offer late at night (due to supermarket arrangements with Olio after they close for the night)

Strangely low key day. Son got an xbox and also didn't want to go out as it's pouring rain. So we hung out a lot, he didn't want to 'waste' a take away as he wasn't hungry so I just made noodles. I was faffing as he was doing his own thing and ended up not even saying goodnight to him. I don't know if I'm just a shit parent or this is what 14 looks like.

I do have an Olio account but didn't put the app back on my new phone, there never seemed to be that sort of thing on offer locally, it was mostly food items on the verge on offer late at night (due to supermarket arrangements with Olio after they close for the night)
Well it's largely that sort of food (end of day croissants and sandwiches from Tesco local) but the non-food side has grown quite a bit I think. Although it is mostly smaller stuff now I think of it. Kids' clothes is a popular one round here.

Strangely low key day. Son got an xbox and also didn't want to go out as it's pouring rain. So we hung out a lot, he didn't want to 'waste' a take away as he wasn't hungry so I just made noodles. I was faffing as he was doing his own thing and ended up not even saying goodnight to him. I don't know if I'm just a shit parent or this is what 14 looks like.

Not a parent, but I remember being 14 and that sounds like fairly normal 14 year old stuff.

I really like this idea, would also be a great way to use up bags of carrots/head of celery etc. - do you sautée the ingredients first and then freeze, or just chop and freeze raw?
You always par boil before cooling and then freeze.

Yeah I would with bigger bits of veg, but I'm not sure how you'd parboil a mirepoix and have it still be a mirepoix?
So I'd be inclined to sautée then freeze at that stage.
Another idea is take the diced carrots,celery and onions and just add butter to continue cooking the mirepoix.Got a feeling the foodie purists will not approve.

We had an absolutely massive brekky and OH has only just woken up, so nothing as such planned - but when/if we feel like eating I'll make something simple like a penne arrabbiata or some mushroom and pepper rice.

I was going to cook Thai style food tonight, realised though that we'd be a bit pushed for time as I also have to make picnic food for lunch tomorrow (at least prepare sarnie fillings ready to make sarnies in the morning) and get an early night.

So instead and in need of something a bit quicker in terms of prep and having secured some burger buns off the reduced to clear, we're having burgers - nothing fancy, freezer cabinet beef quarter pounders for me, quorn southern style for OH, with cheese, tomato, condiments, gherkin, onion and mushrooms for me, and served with some new potato wedges. OH wants baked beans and I'll have a basic salad.

I'll do Thai later in the week!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom